TABLE TEXT KEEPS RESIZING

Dan

Aug 20, 2003, 8:35:23 PM8/20/03
I am working on a presentation in XPeepee, where each
page has body text 10PT on all the masters. EVERYTIME I
close and re-open the file ALL my tables that HAVE TO BE
8PT. bump up to 9. I have figured out that if I change
the body text to 9, it will stay at 8, but I can't change
the body text, it has to be 10.

How do I get around this constant XP nightmare??????

Echo S

Aug 20, 2003, 9:03:51 PM8/20/03
First thing to try is to see if any of the autofit/autolayout things are
checked in Tools/Options/Autocorrect. If so, uncheck them and see if
that helps.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Dan

Aug 21, 2003, 1:49:00 PM8/21/03
Yes of course they are NOT checked, they have never been.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>.

Adam Crowley

Aug 21, 2003, 4:51:51 PM8/21/03
"Dan" <dcl...@lrwonline.com> wrote in message

> Yes of course they are NOT checked, they have never been.

Is that the way to talk to someone who's trying to help?
(the default for the autoformat for inserted objects, autofit text to
placeholder etc. is checked).
It certainly doesn't encourage me to offer any thoughts.

> PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh go on then...I'll try, and hope my head doesn't get bitten off.
How many templates/masters have you got? I've seen some weirdness that
resembles what you're describing when I've been pasting slides from several
templates using 'keep source formatting'.

Austin Myers

Aug 21, 2003, 5:49:18 PM8/21/03
You sir, a gentleman. Possibly a headless gentleman but a gentleman none
the less.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

"Adam Crowley" <adam@webshiteDOTorg> wrote in message

Dan

Aug 21, 2003, 6:11:34 PM8/21/03
Im not talking shit at all, just pissed. Only people as
stupid as the people at my work would leave those things
checked (at least for the level of work I have to do),
they don't even change or add any icons or learn
keystrokes, use styles, I could go on for days, they just
keep everything as the default exactly how is comes
installed, space instead of tab, um ok. Try aligning
Excel charts as metafiles using the draw menu in a 100
pg. presentation (my supervisor! 25X the time it would
take me using icons but "she preferres that").

I understand he is talking to the general public (de-
vo). And yes, I was wrong about the "always has been",
but as soon as my XP was installed I unchecked those as
if I was adding icons or something. But if you look at
the response i got, I get a first, and not a second,
kinda bummed me out at the time. I appreciate any input
(also the biggest problem for the people at my fukkin
job). I've always fired temps at previous jobs when they
would say they know how to do something, people who think
that asking questions make you look stupid. Yeah i'm
sure alot of you who have to work can relate to that hell.

Sorry if i seemed harsh, this has been a problem since XP
and I don't feel like having them re-install it again.
Oh! the font size does change on any computer and I also
changed from using my "designed" template as a default,
to using the original plain white one, and when I change
the body, and like I said in the first posting it is
connected to the master and I only use "Title" or "Title
& Text" layours. The only good graphics guy at our work
said maybe I had a "corrupted font", ???? Im so
desparate I changed it to Times, ha.

ADAM: I have 4 masters in this job, most are
using "blank" I made one for the title page, chapter pgs.
and intro. (all text) pages. The tables are all
on "blank". ONE template, I rarely paste from one
template to another at this job.

Thanks alot.

>.

Adam Crowley

Aug 21, 2003, 7:02:43 PM8/21/03
I'd offer to receive your file by email so I can have a look, which you're
welcome to try, but I'm away for the weekend so you won't get a quick
response.
I don't have any answers other than that.
My only point was that it's not obvious from your first post that you hadn't
overlooked the auto stuff and politeness well go further toward getting the
response you need.

"Dan" <dcl...@lrwonline.com> wrote in message

dan

Aug 21, 2003, 8:38:39 PM8/21/03
Man, I posted a response 1/2 hr. ago or more, i said the
s-word, do they just delte it? I mean that I didn't mean
s---. Im surrounded by retards, my last letter said it
all, things you wouldn't believe about my job, THE HORROR.
I just wanted to say that I was wrong with the "always
has been", I just uncheck those Autocorrect boxes like
I'm setting up Icons, they suck (at least for what I have
to do). Plus today I've been as the worst job of my life
BY FAR!! for 3 yrs. but i have kids so gotta deal with
the insane retards.

So here's the scene, I have 4 masters one called "blank"
which is almost every slide (including the ones with the
tables) then the title, chapter pgs, and intro. text
pages. And ONE template. And very rarely copy from one

template to another at this job.

So far I have tried Changing the default template, I
renamed my custom one, and now it looks like the PPT
default. And also the same thing happens on anyone's PC.
Also I know for sure that the tables are conected to the
body text. It works if the body text is 9. I just can't
stand this XP. Oh and I only use "Title" or "Title and
Text" layouts. I am creating a PPT table and pasting in
from excel (RTF) or unformatted.

I can't believe no one has had this problem, I've had it
since xp came out and its nowhere on this site or
searching on google or whatever!. So any input is very
appreciated. I'd like to avoid having them re-install
PPT, I'm too busy, and would have to do all my settings
again.

Thanks.

>.

Echo S

Aug 21, 2003, 8:50:28 PM8/21/03
Dan wrote:

> Yes of course they are NOT checked, they have never been.
>
> PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, since, as Adam explained, having those settings selected is
actually the default in PPT, it's, as I said, the first thing to check.
And if you didn't double-check that in Tools/Options, please do -- just
to be sure.

Then next thing, then, is to ask if your tables are native PPT tables,
or if they're imported from Word or Excel. Extremely small font sizes
have been known to do some strange things to files imported into PPT via
OLE (as in Insert/Object), at least in previous versions.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q248208 gives specifics.
Unfortunately, I can't find anything anywhere that suggests this still
happens in PPT 2002 (aka PPT XP).

Also, what font are you using? Does the same thing happen if you use a
different font?

dan

Aug 21, 2003, 9:26:34 PM8/21/03
Thanks alot, I did try Times New Roman to test also,
forgot to say that in my last post, it was the same
deal. And sorry, I knew they were on the default but I
instantly unchecked them right after I installed XP. I
just checked tools/options and didn't find anything that
relates? But I did notice that my multiple masters was
somehow unchecked, but I've been using them in this job?
Maybe that's the problem? I doubt it. The Tables are PPT
Tables, I copy in the #'s from Excel as (RTF) and much
more often Unformatted Text, which is how I paste
normally now in this lame version of PPT. I want my 2000
back!!!! This is hell. Yeah bro, I've been searching
all over this site the net, and no one else seems to have
this problem. It even changes if you make the body text
italic, then the table will become un-italic, and when I
take the italics off the master the tables turn italic.
Its like its set a certain way and there is no way to
unlink it from the master I only use Title or Title&Text
layouts, so I don't get it.

Please read my other post, I appreciate your help, guess
I'll have to re-install, that gonna be lame.

>.

Echo S

Aug 21, 2003, 10:46:04 PM8/21/03
dan wrote:

> Thanks alot, I did try Times New Roman to test also,
> forgot to say that in my last post, it was the same

That's cool. One possibility down.

> deal. And sorry, I knew they were on the default but I
> instantly unchecked them right after I installed XP. I
> just checked tools/options and didn't find anything that

Thanks for double-checking. So many people don't know to uncheck those
options, but it seems you're way ahead of us on that!

> relates? But I did notice that my multiple masters was
> somehow unchecked, but I've been using them in this job?
> Maybe that's the problem? I doubt it. The Tables are PPT
> Tables, I copy in the #'s from Excel as (RTF) and much
> more often Unformatted Text, which is how I paste
> normally now in this lame version of PPT.

Ok, help me here.

I tried to replicate your problem, but I can't.

I made my master placeholders Arial 10 pt.

I opened Excel and typed in some text. Formatted it as Algerian 8 pt red
font. Selected the range of cells and copied.

Went to my title-only layout in PPT and pasted using CTRL+V. It came in
as a PPT Table with Algerian 8pt red type. Saved, closed, reopened. Text
was still Algerian 8pt and red.

Then I did the same thing -- CTRL+V to paste into PPT. Used the Smart
Tag to "keep text only." The table became a textbox, and the font jumped
to Arial 18pt black, which is the default text for my manual textboxes.
Note that that default font is different than what I set on the masters.

Even though I know it's a pain, can you help me see, step by step, how
you're copying from Excel and pasting into PPT? Are you using Edit/Paste
Special? If I use Edit/Paste Special here and choose RTF, I get a
textbox with Algerian 18 pt red. Interesting. I get a combination of my
text in Excel and my default textbox settings in PPT. But that doesn't
give me an actual PPT table, so I'm not sure that's really what you're
doing.

> I want my 2000
> back!!!! This is hell. Yeah bro, I've been searching
> all over this site the net, and no one else seems to have
> this problem. It even changes if you make the body text
> italic, then the table will become un-italic, and when I
> take the italics off the master the tables turn italic.

Yeah, that does seem to indicate the master, but I can't replicate it
here. Have you tried running a Detect and Repair from PPT's help menu?

> Please read my other post, I appreciate your help, guess
> I'll have to re-install, that gonna be lame.

I don't know that a reinstall will help here, to be honest. But I did
read your other posts, and I'll keep scratching my head.

Adam Crowley

Aug 22, 2003, 2:51:42 AM8/22/03

> Man, I posted a response 1/2 hr. ago or more, i said the
> s-word, do they just delte it?

I was lucky enough to see your s- and f- words.
Blimey, the air's blue in this part of the newsgroup.

dan

Aug 22, 2003, 3:23:28 PM8/22/03
Thanks alot, I really appeciate you going through all
that crap.

Yes, I create or paste a similar table the PPT table, the
paste from excel is as RTF or unformatted text and my
font in excel is 10pt Trebuchet, same as the body text on
the master. I'll have to do some more experimenting like
you did. But I did just copy some PPT tables from
another document and the font changed from 10BOLD to 9
Unbold (same font that is replacing by 8PT. tables in the
presentation). Yeah, sorry my sentence made no sense, I
just meant that I always have to use paste
special/unformatted to avoid using that stupid "Keep as
source" thing, paste helper or whatever, its a pain.

I am running detect & repair now.

You just did a ctrlV to past and it created a PPT table??
I didn't know about that, but I'd have to formate them
indivdually then?? Also, I have to use "Title & Text", I
have tried deleting the body text off the master but that
doesn't make a difference, even though its the body text
box that affects the font size of the tables.

What exactly did you mean the master font is not the
default font?

>.

Echo S

Aug 22, 2003, 4:05:50 PM8/22/03

> Thanks alot, I really appeciate you going through all
> that crap.
>
> Yes, I create or paste a similar table the PPT table, the
> paste from excel is as RTF or unformatted text and my
> font in excel is 10pt Trebuchet, same as the body text on
> the master. I'll have to do some more experimenting like
> you did.

Yeah, you will, because since you didn't answer my question and give me step
by step information about what you're doing, that's pretty much exactly what
I'm doing -- just wasting my time trying to figure out what *you're* doing.

> But I did just copy some PPT tables from
> another document and the font changed from 10BOLD to 9
> Unbold (same font that is replacing by 8PT. tables in the
> presentation).

Ok, so maybe the problem is with this particular template or presentation?
Have you tried saving that template as a different name and reapplying it to
a new PPT presentation? Have you tried round-tripping through HTML?

> Yeah, sorry my sentence made no sense, I
> just meant that I always have to use paste
> special/unformatted to avoid using that stupid "Keep as
> source" thing, paste helper or whatever, its a pain.

Yeah, but I'd think that clicking that smart tag would be a lot easier than
Edit...Paste Special...Choose One...Click OK... At least the smart tag is
just one click.

> I am running detect & repair now.
>
> You just did a ctrlV to past and it created a PPT table??
> I didn't know about that, but I'd have to formate them
> indivdually then??

Yes, just plain ol' Ctrl+V gave me a PPT table. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

> Also, I have to use "Title & Text", I
> have tried deleting the body text off the master but that
> doesn't make a difference, even though its the body text
> box that affects the font size of the tables.

You can't use the title only layout? So are you pasting your text into the
placeholder on the slide? The one that says "click here to add text"? See, I
wouldn't have to ask that if you'd given me step by steps beginning with
copying in Excel and pasting into PPT as I already asked...

> What exactly did you mean the master font is not the
> default font?

The font on the master slide controls what any text you add into the
placeholder ("click here to add text") will look like.

To set the default font for "manual" textboxes, see this:
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00039.htm

See the difference?

dan

Aug 22, 2003, 5:52:26 PM8/22/03
>Yeah, you will, because since you didn't answer my
question and give me step
>by step information about what you're doing, that's
pretty much exactly what
>I'm doing -- just wasting my time trying to figure out
what *you're* doing.

OK, sorry,

I have the data in excel (they make us use excel charts
pasted into PPT as Metafile's). For tables, I make sure
the font is Trebuchet, and paste the labels/numbers into
a PPT Table. In Excel, I select the cells copy then alt-
tab too PPT highlight the cells in the PPT table and
paste special as unformatted text or RTF text (in a
title&text layout), then adjust the font size. I have
paste special on my toolbar so its only a click and d-
click.

Especially since for charts I have to copy the chart in
excel, go to PPT (title&text) paste special as enhanced
metafile, then select the old chart (picture) in PPT and
align them, then deselect, send the new one to back,
deselect, select the old one now on top and delete. If
you know any easier ways of doing these things that would
be amazing! I'd really appreciate it.

>Ok, so maybe the problem is with this particular
template or presentation?
>Have you tried saving that template as a different name
and reapplying it to
>a new PPT presentation? Have you tried round-tripping
through HTML?

god, I must seem like I'm purposly making things more
difficult for you but I'm not lying. This problem has
happened in the past many times, and even before I
created the template I am using now as my default,
yesteday I gave it a name so my default is the PPT
default, I pasted the slide into a new presentation
(using keep source formatting, in the slide sorter) from
the PPT default which is 32Arial for the first level of
body text, all three tables became 28pt Arial (on a
title&text and a title only), but they retained their
boldness and underlining. Text boxes stayed exactly as
they were 10pt Trebuchet. Just hitting paste did the
same thing to the table text, but did alot more, like
changed colors, etc. I also got the same result pasting
the tables themselves onto a new slide (title only), keep
source formatting just make the color of the shading not
be affected by the color scheme in the new document.

>Yeah, but I'd think that clicking that smart tag would
be a lot easier than
>Edit...Paste Special...Choose One...Click OK... At least
the smart tag is
>just one click.

For me I'd love to be able to turn it off and have paste
be the old way (which doesn't happen when you uncheck it
in the options), because I do alot of pasting from one
text box to another on multiple slides and it is way
slower having to click the smart tag everytime. Just my
opinion, and the type of work i have to do. I wish since
they have multiple masters that they should have more
text boxes on the masters than just title and body, or at
least have styles or something, in 2000 I never had this
problem.

Oh, and sorry, I'm not hit to round-tripping?

>> I am running detect & repair now.
>

>Yes, just plain ol' Ctrl+V gave me a PPT table. Pretty
cool, if you ask me.

Cool! I just tried it, I made a new document to test
with, and it worked but still have the same issues. Also
I changed the body text BOLD and the new table (pasted
directly from excel Ctrl+V) turned all bold, as did the
non-bold cells of the table I'm trying to fix, and the
Bold cells became unbolded?

I just started using PUPv5 in excel and the way we have
to format tables here is alternate row shading (which is
an automatic PUP function). So that would be great to
just paste and get a new PPT table, but we use Fill
Effects for the shading, and also indents in the excel
cell does not stay after pasting into PPT. Any
suggestions?? I wish PPT had a good style function, the
default for new objects check box does nothing for me at
all, if I check a bold underlined text box 10pt Trebuchet
a new text box format, I still get Trebuchet 12 unbolded
when I create a new text box, which I Never do anyway, I
always copy to keep the job consistent in positioning as
well as font, etc.

Do I have to re-boot the PC to made the detect & reapair
take affect? nothing has changed that I can notice.

>You can't use the title only layout? So are you pasting
your text into the
>placeholder on the slide? The one that says "click here
to add text"? See, I
>wouldn't have to ask that if you'd given me step by
steps beginning with
>copying in Excel and pasting into PPT as I already
asked...

No I've been using PPT since 3.0, I don't use any layouts
other than title only or title&text, ever, except for the
title slide. Sorry again I was not clear, I meant I have
to use Text&Title because all the slides have bulletted
body text 10pt trebuchet regular) I've also noticed that
the alignment of the body text is the alignment I get
when I paste-special into the PPT tables, justified or
left, that is a pain to.

>> What exactly did you mean the master font is not the
>> default font?
>
>The font on the master slide controls what any text you
add into the
>placeholder ("click here to add text") will look like.
>
>To set the default font for "manual" textboxes, see
this:
>http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00039.htm
>
>See the difference?

Sorry bro, no difference at all?????? I don't get it,
I've tried to use that function many times in the past to
see if that was the problem.

Its too cool of you to go through this, I almost want to
find the reason for it more than having the problem
fixed. Especially since according to the internet I am
the only person on earth with this problem. I like the
PPT tables more than embedded word tables like I always
used before 2000 came out, but maybe my answer is to go
back to using word tables.

I pretty much described the major steps, I do regularly
at my job, doing these horrible 70's looking
presentations. So if you know of any shorcuts/alternate
quicker ways of doing them that would rule. The PPT
rules at work are: charts have to be pasted as Metafiles,
and the tables have to be shaded with a Fill Effect,
Trebuchet, all data comes from excel.

Thanks again!!!
dan

Echo S

Aug 22, 2003, 6:22:11 PM8/22/03
Thanks for the specifics, Dan. I'll try to repro what you're seeing when I
get home this evening.

I think I need to re-read, because I think you did say this down below, but
if you just paste (CTRL+V) your Excel cells into PPT (on a Title Only slide
layout) *without* pasting them into PPT table cells, does that give you what
you need?

Tell you what. Can you send me a couple of sample slides from one of your
presentations along with one of your Excel worksheets? Maybe that will help
me figure out what's going on. Please don't post the files here, just email
them to ec...@indy.net Oh, send the template itself, too, please.

What operating system are you using, Dan? I think I forgot to ask that
earlier. Dunno that it would make a difference, but I'm curious.

Oh, and round-tripping is when you save a PPT file as HTML, then reopen the
HTML in PPT and resave it as PPT. I don't think that will help here, though,
after seeing your latest information, so you can disregard that one!

Re detect and repair, you shouldn't have to reboot. Probably there was
nothing to repair, but it was worth a shot!

Echo

"dan" <dcl...@lrwonline.com> wrote in message

dan

Aug 22, 2003, 7:11:53 PM8/22/03
WOW!! That's great! I got the files ready to e-mail.
Please don't attribute me to the look of the
presentation, i am given orders.... from retards!!!

The template is supposed to be "company standard" but as
you will see the PPT file you'll get is very different,
but I started out with the template though, no one can
make up their minds.

my home e-mail is claude...@adelphia.net, I get home
at 6:45 PST.

>I think I need to re-read, because I think you did say
this down below, but >if you just paste (CTRL+V) your
Excel cells into PPT (on a Title Only slide >layout)
*without* pasting them into PPT table cells, does that
give you what>you need?

Yes please re-read, basically I got the same result
either way. Also if I am doing any unnecesary steps or
if u know any shortcuts to do what I have to do on a
consistent basis, I would worhip. I know I'm hard to
understand, its a busy day for me and I'm trying to do
this in the midst of work.

>What operating system are you using, Dan? I think I
forgot to ask that>earlier. Dunno that it would make a
difference, but I'm curious.

HP e-pc, 935 MHz, 128 MB RAM. With Office XP.

Echo S

Aug 22, 2003, 8:20:46 PM8/22/03
dan wrote:

> >What operating system are you using, Dan? I think I
> forgot to ask that>earlier. Dunno that it would make a
> difference, but I'm curious.
>
> HP e-pc, 935 MHz, 128 MB RAM. With Office XP.

What version of Windows?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]

http://www.echosvoice.com