Minimum margins for projected slides

Michael Hoffman

Oct 11, 2007, 12:19:04 PM10/11/07
I am generating some plots for presentation in a statistical software
package called R. I tried using Windows Metafile output but then the
files do not work well on my supervisor's Mac. So I'm using PNG output
instead. I see from the PowerPoint FAQ that 1024x768 images are
suggested, so I'll start doing that.

Can anyone suggest some margins I should use when creating these images?
I want to fill up as much of the slide as possible, which is why I'm not
just importing into the image box on a stock slide layout. But if I
don't use large enough margins, the sides of the plots (where the labels
are, probably the most important bit) might get cut off in some
projector setups.

Thanks!
--
Michael

Michael Koerner

Oct 11, 2007, 1:27:39 PM10/11/07
You might want to look at Shyam's Image Importer Wizard
http://skp.mvps.org/iiw.htm

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"Michael Hoffman" <b3i4...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

Michael Hoffman

Oct 11, 2007, 5:33:24 PM10/11/07
Michael Koerner wrote:
> You might want to look at Shyam's Image Importer Wizard
> http://skp.mvps.org/iiw.htm

Thanks Michael! That looks interesting, but I was really looking more
for numbers, such as either inches or pixels that I should definitely
use as margins.

Michael Koerner

Oct 11, 2007, 7:57:21 PM10/11/07
You can't set margins in PowerPoint. I, because I like to keep it simple I
set the resolution for the majority of my images at 100 pixels per inch. to
fill a standard slide 10"x7.5", using my image resolution the size of the
image is 1000x750. If you then want a 50 pixel border make your image
900x650. But if you don't want to go to all that trouble, then use 1024 x
768. Hope this is what your looking for.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"Michael Hoffman" <b3i4...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

Steve Rindsberg

Oct 11, 2007, 9:55:43 PM10/11/07

That's a hard one to predict ... more a judgement call on your part. How
off-kilter is the projectionist likely to be? ;-)

You could make the background on the PPT black and then drop your images in
atop that and size them so that there's a half inch or so (in PPT terms) all
around. If the projector setup neatly fills the screen with a normal slide,
you know yours will never get cut off.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com