Garmin/Pocket PC

Frank Brand

Sep 3, 2003, 9:25:25 PM9/3/03
Is there a way to connect my Axim to my Garmin V so I use the display of the
Axim?

Sven

Sep 3, 2003, 11:10:20 PM9/3/03
Yes, sort of. You can get a serial cable that takes the output of the Garmin
(assuming it has one) and gets it to the Axim, but that won't display
anything on the Axim. All that does is take position info from the Garmin
and route it to the Axim. You will still need some program to make use of
that data. Take a look at www.gpspassion.com for ideas of what is
available.

--
Sven
MS-MVP - Mobile Devices

"Frank Brand" <fran...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Rob B.

Sep 3, 2003, 11:30:15 PM9/3/03

"Frank Brand" <fran...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to connect my Axim to my Garmin V so I use the display of
the
> Axim?

Assuming you've got the appropriate cables to attach the two, try Garmap:
http://www.catnet.ne.jp/fukuda/garmap/e_garmapce.html

I haven't used it since I've upgraded my e750 to WM2003, but it did work on
PPC2002. The documention in a bit sparse, the compiler is I believe
Japanese, so the instructions get lost in the translation. It may take a bit
of trial and error to get it running, but it will work. And it is free

Rob

Darren Griffin

Sep 4, 2003, 3:04:45 AM9/4/03
Frank Brand wrote:
> Is there a way to connect my Axim to my Garmin V so I use the display
> of the Axim?

Indeed there is, for a one piece cable see http://www.pc-mobile.net. Once
you have the two connected then you will need an application on the Axim to
make use of the GPS Data. The world's your oyster here, graphical doute
navigation apps with voicde, topo maps, marine charts etc. Really depends
on your requirements. See our site for reviews of the options.
--
Darren Griffin
Contributing Editor

Dale DePriest

Sep 4, 2003, 10:39:22 AM9/4/03

Frank Brand wrote:

> Is there a way to connect my Axim to my Garmin V so I use the display of the
> Axim?

It is not possible to use the Axim as a remote display for a Garmin V
but you can certainly hook the V to the Axim and run a program on the
Axim that will do similar or different things to what you have on the V.
You can check my web site for choices but basically you will not be
using the V except as an NMEA souce of location data. None of the
programs can actually use or interpret the route data from the V and
display it in real time.

Dale
--
_ _ Dale DePriest