Deleting POP email only on Windows Mobile device not on server

Krulwich

Jan 29, 2007, 4:57:20 PM1/29/07
I just came across something that makes my Windows Mobile 5 device
useless as an email reader. I assume there must be a way around it.

I read and write most email on webmail, but frequently use my handheld
to check email on the road, or in meetings, or on line at the store.
I need the ability to delete a message on the device without its being
deleted on the server.

I can't possibly be the only person who wants to maintain an inbox of
messages that I want on the device, and keep a server mailbox full of
messages I want to deal with on a computer.

But from what I can tell, there's no way in WM5 (on an HTC TyTN) to
prevent send/receive from deleting messages on a server if they've
been deleted on the device and purged from the deleted items folder.

Can anyone help me? There must be a way to prevent Windows Mobile
from deleting messages on the server. It's standard on all email
clients on PCs!

Thanks!

--Bruce Krulwich
http://pdaphone-fan.blogspot.com/

Jeffrey Min [MSFT]

Jan 29, 2007, 6:35:10 PM1/29/07
Unfortunately there is no way to achieve this in WM5. We are considering
this feature for future releases.

The closest you can get right now is to use Empty Deleted Items = Manually,
but of course deleted messages pile up on your device, and they will be
deleted from the server once you try to remove them. It sounds like you've
already tried this and it's still unacceptable.

Hopefully this doesn't make your device completely useless... Have you
considered some of the 3rd party email clients available for WM5? Power
users such as yourself might enjoy the finer grain customization possible
with some of these 3rd party apps.

--
Jeffrey Min
Software Development Engineer

"Krulwich" <krul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Krulwich

Jan 30, 2007, 7:21:19 AM1/30/07
Thanks Jeff for the reply. Two questions:

1. What will happen if I set up my mail account settings to only show
messages in the past 7 days, and then move deleted messages older than
7 days from deleted back into my inbox. Will they be removed from my
inbox because they're older than 7 days, and not deleted on the sever
because they were moved out of deleted on my device? Does this make
sense as a solution to the piling up that you mention?

2. Do you have any (unofficial, personal) recommendations or
suggestions of e-mail clients?

Thanks!

--Bruce

On Jan 30, 1:35 am, "Jeffrey Min [MSFT]"

<jeff...@REMOVE.SPAM.online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately there is no way to achieve this in WM5. We are considering
> this feature for future releases.
>
> The closest you can get right now is to use Empty Deleted Items = Manually,
> but of course deleted messages pile up on your device, and they will be
> deleted from the server once you try to remove them. It sounds like you've
> already tried this and it's still unacceptable.
>
> Hopefully this doesn't make your device completely useless... Have you
> considered some of the 3rd party email clients available for WM5? Power
> users such as yourself might enjoy the finer grain customization possible
> with some of these 3rd party apps.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Min
> Software Development Engineer
> Microsoft Corp.

> "Krulwich" <krulw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >I just came across something that makes my Windows Mobile 5 device
> > useless as an email reader. I assume there must be a way around it.
>
> > I read and write most email on webmail, but frequently use my handheld
> > to check email on the road, or in meetings, or on line at the store.
> > I need the ability to delete a message on the device without its being
> > deleted on the server.
>
> > I can't possibly be the only person who wants to maintain an inbox of
> > messages that I want on the device, and keep a server mailbox full of
> > messages I want to deal with on a computer.
>
> > But from what I can tell, there's no way in WM5 (on an HTC TyTN) to
> > prevent send/receive from deleting messages on a server if they've
> > been deleted on the device and purged from the deleted items folder.
>
> > Can anyone help me? There must be a way to prevent Windows Mobile
> > from deleting messages on the server. It's standard on all email
> > clients on PCs!
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > --Bruce Krulwich

> >http://pdaphone-fan.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

Jeffrey Min [MSFT]

Jan 30, 2007, 4:57:55 PM1/30/07
1. To the best of my knowledge, only messages in the Inbox get aged off the
device for a POP3 account. So another solution might be to manually move
your deleted messages older than 7 days back into the Inbox. During the
next sync they will be aged off the device, but remain on the server.

2. I have heard that FlexMail is quite powerful though I haven't used it
personally. Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen may be a better person to ask
for a recommendation, as I believe he has done extensive testing of many
different PPC email clients.

--
Jeffrey Min
Software Development Engineer
Microsoft Corp.

"Krulwich" <krul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

DF

Jan 31, 2007, 9:19:00 PM1/31/07
I have asimilar problem but in the opossite direction. I use my hand held
also temporarly and I can't delete the e-mails from the server with the hand
held. The problem is that when I go back to my laptop I have to delete the
messages that I previously deleted on the hand held. I want to be able to
keep a copy of the sent items on the server and delete e-mails with my hand
held from the server. Makes any sence? I have a palm treo 750 with WM5

Thank you

Jeffrey Min [MSFT]

Jan 31, 2007, 9:28:55 PM1/31/07
DF,

I'm assuming that your mail account is accessed through a POP3 server.

1) Make sure your Options > Storage > Empty Deleted Items setting is set to
"On connect/disconnect" or "Immediately". I believe it is not set to either
of these by default.
2) There's no way to sync Sent Items back up to the server. This is mostly
because POP3 servers don't even understand the concept of subfolders in the
first place. If your account can instead be accessed via IMAP4, your Sent
Items can successfully be synchronized. Another idea might be to always
include yourself on the CC line so that you will receive a copy of your sent
message.

--
Jeffrey Min
Software Development Engineer
Microsoft Corp.

"DF" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DF

Feb 2, 2007, 11:46:02 AM2/2/07
Jeffrey:

Thank you. It worked! Now I am able to delete e-mails from the PDA to the
server. Besides doing the IMAP4 is there any other way to Sync e-mails? What
about a "mirror" third party software? Do you know anything about this?

pdetlefs

Mar 5, 2007, 1:09:39 AM3/5/07

--
pdetlefs