.pwi or .psw file conversion to Desktop files?

William Fields

Sep 23, 2004, 1:42:23 PM9/23/04
I would like to create notes on my PPC and use some other editor than
Outlook. I am having problems with every conversion option there is when
converting files.

Here's my results with .pwi files:

.pwi to .pwi (no conversion) -

WordPad does not recognize .pwi files, Word give this message and then opens
the file without ink. "This file needs to be opened by the InkWriter/Note
Taker text converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you are
opening is a malicious file. Choose yes to open this file only if you are
sure it is from a trusted source.'

.pwi to .txt -

not an option since I'm using ink.

.pwi to .rtf -

the ink is lost in both WordPad and Word 2003

.pwi to .doc (word 6.0) -
.pwi to .doc (word 2000) -

WordPad will open, but ink is lost. Word 2003 will gives this error when
trying to open:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions.
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.

None of these suggestions are applicable or solve the problem.

Is there a way to successfully convert .pwi files with embedded ink to files
on my desktop that I can open and edit?

Here's my results with .psw files:

.psw to .psw -

WordPad does not recognize .pwi files, Word give this message and then opens
the file without ink. "This file needs to be opened by the Pocket Word
Document converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you are
opening is a malicious file. Choose yes to open this file only if you are
sure it is from a trusted source.'

.psw to .txt -

not an option since I'm using ink.

.psw to .rtf -

ActiveSync throws an error "Cannot convert file - The file converter did not
find the expected data while writing the output file."

.psw to .doc (word 6.0) -
.psw to .doc (word 2000) -

WordPad opens without ink. Word 2003 will gives this error when trying to
open:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions.
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.

None of these suggestions are applicable or solve the problem.

Is there a way to successfully convert .psw files with embedded ink to files
on my desktop that I can open and edit?

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

Bruce Lee was the man. Be water.

Jud Hardcastle

Sep 23, 2004, 3:54:53 PM9/23/04
In article <OMsFxSZo...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
Bill_...@azb.uscourts.gov says...

> I would like to create notes on my PPC and use some other editor than
> Outlook. I am having problems with every conversion option there is when
> converting files.
>
> .pwi to .doc (word 6.0) -
> .pwi to .doc (word 2000) -
>
> WordPad will open, but ink is lost. Word 2003 will gives this error when
> trying to open:
>
> Word experienced an error trying to open the file.

Ink support in Word seems to be an odd beast (SOUND support is worse!).
I'm using Word 2000 and have no problems with seeing ink (as objects) in
both .doc files (converted by AS) and native .pwi and .psw files but
others have reported they can't. I can also change the text and resave
the doc file and both the changed text and the drawings appear in pocket
word.

I'm using an old pocket pc. So the problem could be Word2003 or the
newer ppc os. When you look at a native .psw file on the pc are you
seeing a Notewriter icon (looks like a note page with pencil and
handwritten "A") or something else?

Could a .dot autostart macro be getting in the way?

If you can't get Word to work, you might try downloading the trial
TextMaker software from http://www.softmaker.de/tm_en.htm and play with
it. TextMaker is pretty much what PocketWord "should" have been with
most everything in the desktop version supported in the ppc version.
Runs really slow on my old clunker ppc though--I only use the ppc
application for documents that really NEED the format support.

The desktop version has the ability to display ink in converted .doc
files as pictures but native .psw files opened in TM looses the drawing.
Also if you save the file on the pc as a TextMaker native .tmd the
pictures are okay on the pc but will not display back in the ppc
version--like the objects aren't being attached. Might be fixable but I
haven't tried. And like word it doesn't have pen-type drawing support
built-in on either platform (only inserting of objects) so you'd still
have to use pocket word on the ppc with text and drawings--let
activesync convert to doc files--open and edit them in Textmaker and
resave as doc etc.

It absolutely amazes me that in all this time someone hasn't written a
replacement for Notetaker/Inkwriter, IE an application for the pc that
can read and write native ppc .pwi files complete with text, drawing
(using mouse?) and sound tools. Outlook is hardly the correct
application for the pc side of Notes.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

William Fields

Sep 23, 2004, 6:10:30 PM9/23/04
> It absolutely amazes me that in all this time someone hasn't written a
> replacement for Notetaker/Inkwriter, IE an application for the pc that
> can read and write native ppc .pwi files complete with text, drawing
> (using mouse?) and sound tools. Outlook is hardly the correct
> application for the pc side of Notes.

Blows me away too. This was going to be my "killer app" for my PPC. I had
grand visions of using my Laptop and PDA in synchronicity. But with all the
synchronization issues and zero continuity between the Desktop/PDA, what's
the point? This is probably a big part of why the PDA market is dropping
like a rock. My ViewSonic V37 is a discontinued product and ViewSonic is
dropping their PDA products altogether.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro
MCP - Win2k Pro
US Bankruptcy Court
Phoenix, AZ

Bruce Lee was the man. Be water.

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changeth...@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1bbce58a5...@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Sep 23, 2004, 7:26:37 PM9/23/04
Interesting... just took the time to add recordings to the two files
that I referenced in your other post and found;

recording at the beginning of notes file, file shows empty in word

recording at the end of the notes file, rest of file is visible, but
recording is not

Recording at the beginning of pword file, other items are visible,
recording is invisible.

recording is embedded in the file in wav format

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

William Fields

Sep 24, 2004, 11:08:55 AM9/24/04
Yes, I found similar results with inline ink. When opening the file on my
desktop in Word, everything past the first ink image is lost.

--

message news:%237cYGTc...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...