WM5 / VS2005: where are "remote spy++" and other tools for mobile devices?

The PocketTV Team

Oct 5, 2005, 9:35:03 PM10/5/05
I couldn't find any of the familiar external tools, like "remote spy++", in
Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2.

I suppose that now they must be installed manually in the VS2005 tools menu,
but I couldn't find them in the SDK.

Where can I find those remote tools?

Thom Little

Oct 5, 2005, 11:30:04 PM10/5/05
In the Release Candidate there is a directory of shortcuts called "Visual
Studio Remote Tools" provided with all of these tools.

(I never was able to get Beta 2 to properly install. I have had no problems
with the Release Candidate.)

--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
--

"The PocketTV Team" <sup...@pockettv.com> wrote in message

The PocketTV Team

Oct 6, 2005, 12:31:00 AM10/6/05
"Thom Little" <th...@tlanet.net> wrote in message

> In the Release Candidate there is a directory of shortcuts called "Visual
> Studio Remote Tools" provided with all of these tools.

I couldn't find any such folder under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 8\" ...

> (I never was able to get Beta 2 to properly install. I have had no
> problems with the Release Candidate.)

Had no problem with Beta 2, and not really willing to install Release
Candidate, which would be a chance to create more problems, and I cannot
afford that right now.

But is there a way to get hold of a version of those "Visual Studio Remote
Tools" that would work with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 ?

The PocketTV Team

Oct 6, 2005, 12:34:26 AM10/6/05
oh, I got it!!!

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180714(en-us,vs.80).aspx

Those remote tools are installed as separate apps, and indeed, I can start
them using the "Start > Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 > Visual Studio Remote
Tools" menu of the desktop.

I thought they could be installed as extensions of VS2005, my mistake...

@extendsys.com Michael Gledhill

Oct 10, 2005, 10:25:03 AM10/10/05

If you're going to be playing around with SQLCE databases using
VS2005, it's also worth grabbing a copy of the "SQLCE Database Viewer"
from here:
www.pocketpctoolkit.com
(Despite it's name, yes, it does let you edit the data in your databases
aswell...)

There is a database viewer built into VS2005, but it's incredibly slow.
I really hope that once VS2005 is "officially" released, it finally
manages to run at an acceptable speed.
On my Dell 3.2GHz machine, it floors my CPU to 100% for ages
everytime I build a project. It's a real joy when I get a chance to go
back and do some VS2003 development instead !

Mike

The PocketTV Team

Oct 11, 2005, 2:15:19 AM10/11/05
> There is a database viewer built into VS2005, but it's incredibly slow.

maybe it's written in .NET ? :)

Chris Scott

Oct 11, 2005, 9:57:52 AM10/11/05
Were you able to get the Remote Spy++ working out of those tools? I've
tried on 2 different computers with VS2005B2 installed to get Remote Spy++
to work with a WM2005 device and neither will function. The other Remote
tools seem to work fine though.

"The PocketTV Team" <sup...@pockettv.com> wrote in message

The PocketTV Team

Oct 11, 2005, 7:43:22 PM10/11/05
> Were you able to get the Remote Spy++ working out of those tools?

Nope. Does not work with the Pocket PC WM5 Emulator. I posted that in
another thread today.

> I've tried on 2 different computers with VS2005B2 installed to get Remote
> Spy++ to work with a WM2005 device and neither will function. The other
> Remote tools seem to work fine though.

Interesting...

I couldn't get any of the remote tools to connect with Pocket PC WM5
Emulator.