register namespace extension without machine restart

Isajanyan

Mar 24, 2007, 4:54:54 AM3/24/07

I've developed a namespace extension and would like to install it
without requiring user to restart the machine (currently my folder
doesn't appear until either I kill and restart the explorer.exe or
restart OS). Is there any way to make shell aware of a new shell
extension? Thank you.

Isajanyan

Mar 24, 2007, 5:00:49 AM3/24/07

Whoops - I'm sorry, the problem is not the namespace extension, but an
info band I create. Namespace extension folder appears, but the info
band doesn't until explorer is restarted. Any tips please?

Jim Barry

Mar 26, 2007, 6:32:24 AM3/26/07
Isajanyan wrote:
> Whoops - I'm sorry, the problem is not the namespace extension, but an
> info band I create. Namespace extension folder appears, but the info
> band doesn't until explorer is restarted. Any tips please?

What kind of band are we talking about? Explorer bars and tool bands should become available in newly opened Explorer windows without having to restart Explorer. They won't show up in existing windows, though. For desk bands, there is a strange Windows bug that stops a newly registered desk band from appearing in the taskbar's popup menu until the second time it is accessed.

--
Jim Barry, MVP (Windows SDK)

SergeFS

Mar 26, 2007, 7:47:20 PM3/26/07

Jim,
What you says make me think that the "ShellNew" submenu is implemented
as a kind of desk band... Since it has exactly the same bug. After
registering a correct ShellNew for a class, it appears only the second
time you right-click on the background (since win2k)..., now that I
think of it, it sounds logical...
--SergeFS

Isajanyan

Mar 28, 2007, 2:20:22 AM3/28/07
Thank you for replies. It is an Info Band - like the explorer Search
pane. And now I see - it does appear for the second time. Thanks again
- now it's clear.