IPv6 DNS Reverse zones

Steve-O

Apr 5, 2006, 4:04:02 PM4/5/06
Does windows 2003 server support IPv6 reverse zones? I am able to create
forward zones with IPv6 (AAAA) addresses, but I cannot create reverse zones.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Helmut Schneider

Apr 10, 2006, 4:48:28 AM4/10/06
Steve-O (Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com) wrote:

Why not? Where is the problem?

--
Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

pjcowley

Apr 24, 2006, 3:16:01 PM4/24/06
I've been struggling to get the reverse zone to work also. I've been
searching for step-by-step instruction for setup on Windows 2003 Server SP1
without luck. ???

I've been watching for replies to your question.

P.J.

Steve-O

Apr 28, 2006, 6:43:01 AM4/28/06
P.J,
After playing around for a while, I was able to do it. I have pasted my
notes to help you out. Please let me know if this helps.

Install Support Tools from Windows 2003 OS disk
dnscmd /config /EnableIPv6 1

Restart DNS service

Create Forward Lookup Zone
Rt Mouse on “Forward Lookup Zones”, New Zone, Next, Primary zone, Next,
<Zone name>, Next, “Create a new file with this file name:”, Next, “Do not
allow dynamic updates”, Next, Finish

Create Reverse Lookup Zone
Rt Mouse on “Reverse Lookup Zones”, New Zone, Next, Primary zone, Next,
Select “Reverse lookup zone name:”, Type the reverse zonename: EXAMPLE:
0.0.0.2.2.8.8.0.2.1.c.a.2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa, Next, Next, “Do not allow dynamic
updates”, Next, Finish

Create a secondary Forward Lookup zone (zone transfer from a primary server)
Rt Mouse on “Forward Lookup Zones”, New Zone, Next, Secondary zone, Next,
<Zone name>, Next, Specify the DNS servers from which you want to copy the
zone, Add, Next, Finish

Create a secondary Reverse Lookup zone (zone transfer from a primary server)
Rt Mouse on “Reverse Lookup Zones”, New Zone, Next, Secondary zone, Next,
Select “Reverse lookup zone name:”, Type the reverse zonename: EXAMPLE:
0.0.0.2.2.8.8.0.2.1.c.a.2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa, Next, Next, Specify the DNS servers
from which you want to copy the zone, Add, Next, Finish

Create Forward & Reverse records for IPv4 hosts
Note: Add the IPv4 forward/reverse records as usual

Create Forward records for IPv6 hosts
Rt Mouse on the domain’s “Forward lookup zone”, “Other New Records”, Select
“IPv6 host (AAAA)”, “Create Record”, Host<Hostname>, “Ip version 6 host
address” <IPv6 address>, “OK”

Create Reverse records for IPv6 hosts
Rt Mouse on domain’s “reverse lookup zone”, “Other New Records”, Select
“IPv6 host (AAAA)”, “Create Record”, Host<Hostname>, “Ip version 6 host
address” <IPv6 address>, “OK”

pjcowley

Apr 28, 2006, 2:05:03 PM4/28/06
Thanks for the reply!

I have a couple of comments in reply:

I'm not using secondary zones but rather AD integrated zones. Is this a
problem? I was also unsure as to why you choose the "Do not allow dynamic
updates" option. Did you actually discover that this broke the config?

I believe that you're section on "Create Reverse records for IPv6 hosts"
should read:

Right click on the newly created IPv6 "reverse lookup zone", select 'New
Pointer' record and 'create record'. Use browse button to drill down to
target hostname (toggle record types filter to show 'all records') and select
the IPv6 iteration of the hostname. In the Host IP number field, add the
remainder of the IPv6 host address with each nibble seperated by a dot. The
'remainder' references the fact that the prefix will already by included in
the grayed-out FQDN field. This is a pain. It does however create the
required directory stucture and the reverse record.

Bigger question! The nslookup command doesn’t seem to support the inclusion
of IPv6 address in reverse lookup query even on dual stacked Windows Server
2003? How do I run reverse lookup from command prompt?

Thanks for the help,
P.J.

Steve-O

May 1, 2006, 7:50:02 AM5/1/06
"pjcowley" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I have a couple of comments in reply:
>
> I'm not using secondary zones but rather AD integrated zones. Is this a
> problem?

<<<<<
I'm not sure. I am working in a small lab environment with only 4 computers.
I have not tried running AD. (by the way, I am not an expert with IPv6. I
have only been working with it for about two months now, so I will give you
whatever I have figured out)
<<<<<

>I was also unsure as to why you choose the "Do not allow dynamic
> updates" option. Did you actually discover that this broke the config?

<<<<<
I am manually adding records to my DNS for right now. I have not tried to
do dynamic updates. Please let me know if you get this working.
<<<<<

> I believe that you're section on "Create Reverse records for IPv6 hosts"
> should read:
>
> Right click on the newly created IPv6 "reverse lookup zone", select 'New
> Pointer' record and 'create record'. Use browse button to drill down to
> target hostname (toggle record types filter to show 'all records') and select
> the IPv6 iteration of the hostname. In the Host IP number field, add the
> remainder of the IPv6 host address with each nibble seperated by a dot. The
> 'remainder' references the fact that the prefix will already by included in
> the grayed-out FQDN field. This is a pain. It does however create the
> required directory stucture and the reverse record.

<<<<<
Great. Thanks for the thorough instructions. I like yours much better
<<<<<

> Bigger question! The nslookup command doesn’t seem to support the inclusion
> of IPv6 address in reverse lookup query even on dual stacked Windows Server
> 2003? How do I run reverse lookup from command prompt?

<<<<<
Up until now, I didn't get this to work either. But since you asked, I
played around a little and found out that you need to use the nslookup
command with the -type=AAA parameter with the reverse IP address including
the .ip6.arpa. (not sure how to explain it.). Don't forget the dot at the end
of arpa or you will be appending the domain name. This is how I did it:
nslookup -type=AAAA
3.6.6.8.8.9.e.f.f.f.0.2.f.0.2.0.0.0.0.2.2.8.8.0.2.1.c.a.2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.
Since I knew that the command 'pathping' did a reverse DNS lookup, I ran
'pathping' to see how it was querying the DNS server using ethereal. You
would thing that the nslookup application would do this for you. Please let