ipv6 install Error 0x800704b8

Andy Clark

Feb 12, 2005, 5:15:17 AM2/12/05
any idea how to fix this

C:\Documents and Settings\agkc\Desktop>ipv6 install

Installing...

Failed to complete the action.

Error 0x800704b8

C:\Documents and Settings\agkc\Desktop>

It on a newley built SP2 system

Thanks

Andy

Emanuel Eick

Mar 23, 2005, 1:54:56 PM3/23/05

strange that no one has an idea how to fix that problem. I get

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chaostrooper>ipv6 install
Installation wird durchgeführt...
Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden.
Fehler 0x800704b8

and the gui interface also gives an "extended error"

Emanuel

Andy Clark

Mar 30, 2005, 1:02:49 PM3/30/05
Emanuel Eick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> strange that no one has an idea how to fix that problem. I get
>
> C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\chaostrooper>ipv6 install
> Installation wird durchgeführt...
> Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden.
> Fehler 0x800704b8
>
> and the gui interface also gives an "extended error"
>
> Emanuel

I gave up and reinstalled the system as it was a new build and it work , we
did not do anything different as far as we can remember

Andy

Stewart Tansley [MSFT]

Mar 30, 2005, 2:26:35 PM3/30/05
I asked some folks in the product team and here is the response, in case
anyone else runs into this:

This is technically not an IPv6 error; it is coming from the setup
subsystem. So the likely causes are that another network GUI is open...

Things to try:

Are they logged in as an administrator, do they have permissions to the
registry specifically HKLM\System\CCS\Services and
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\6to4 etc...

Run esentutl /g to check the integrity of the security database
%windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb

Stewart.
http://research.microsoft.com/ur
http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6

"Andy Clark" <an...@agkc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Jérôme Poulin

Mar 31, 2005, 3:19:26 AM3/31/05
I have the same problem, IPv6 worked then I uninstalled it to test
something (using ipv6 uninstall, there's my problem because from GUI it
always worked) afterward I was unable to install it anymore, always that
error. The error also appears in netsh interface ipv6 install

netsh> interface ipv6 install
An extended error has occurred.

6to4 doesn't exist in services and security database integrity seems to
be Ok. System Restore didn't even help, also restored an old SYSTEM
registry hive and didn't help either... I can't figure out what caused
the problem. If there is no idea I think I will install XP on VMWare
just to try to reproduce it again (with snapshots) and tell what
modification it didn't like.

Any answers will be really appreciated!

km

Apr 5, 2005, 2:35:29 PM4/5/05
I am facing the same trouble. Happened as I was on a roaming WLAN abroad
and the support of the WLAN asked me to de-install IPv6 due to
compatibility issues. Anyways, whilst de-installing a blue screen of death
happened and since then this bloody error. I did follow Stewart's
suggestion and had the following output:

- database is not up-to-date

Then ran the same command with on recovery option - esentutl /r
%windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb and it turned out to have some
trouble, citing:

- Operation terminated with error -1003 (JET_errInvalidParamater, Invalid
API paramater)

Thus ran the tool again in repair mode - esentutl /p
%windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb, which was a success shown by the
following intergrity check. Thereafter installed IPv6 via the command line.

Thanks Stewart for the tip, though MS might think about a KB article as
few guys out there facing the same trouble but having a hard time to find
a solution.

Cheers

Jérôme Poulin

Apr 7, 2005, 12:08:59 AM4/7/05
Ah yes! That way it worked with /r which showed me the same error, /p
then corrected it. Thank you all!

Stewart Tansley [MSFT]

Apr 6, 2005, 4:21:48 PM4/6/05
Thanks km -- I'll pass on the suggestion. It would be helpful to hear any
confirmations of this as a workaround.

---
"km" <k...@go.com.jo> wrote in message

Charles Hinchliffe

Apr 21, 2005, 2:18:28 PM4/21/05
I was having the same problem. This fixed it. Thanks!

Charles