To free up disk space... message problem

Chris

May 30, 2008, 7:28:45 AM5/30/08
Just recently "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.
This may take up to a few minutes." started coming up frequently. (Once
every 20 seconds)

If I ignore it, it will close it self and then popup again.

I don't even USE Outlook Express. I even removed OE using add/remove
programs in the control panel.

Please help. Its driving me insane!

btw, I'm using Windows Mail.

Bruce Hagen

May 30, 2008, 10:39:30 AM5/30/08
You're using Windows Live Mail. Windows Mail is only available on Vista.

Just going to take a few stabs here. First check OK for the compacting and
when it's done, close OE and any other programs that may be running.

Go to Start | Run and type in:

msconfig

OK. Uncheck everything under the Startup Tab. Reboot and check the Do Not
Show in the dialog box you see when your machine starts up.

If this solves it, you may have to recheck a few things if you see them not
working. Most importantly, make sure your anti-virus is running after you do
the above. Don't recheck anything you don't have to.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Chris" <bartk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 30, 2008, 3:53:23 PM5/30/08
> btw, I'm using Windows Mail.

Impossible. Windows Live Mail, maybe.

Are you running WinXP SP3?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Michael Santovec

May 30, 2008, 4:45:35 PM5/30/08
Have you installed Windows Desktop Search?

Apparently, if its set to index OE, it invisibly opens and closes OE
every few minutes in order to the index the OE message store. After 100
open/closes OE will start prompting you about compacting.

Do you still have the folder
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express

My guess would be the WDS is calling MSOE.DLL there.

TSGarp00

Jun 8, 2008, 7:53:01 PM6/8/08
I'm having the same problem. I installed XP SP3 and ever since I've been
getting the To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.
This may take up to a few minutes" message every 20 minutes or so. I'm
actually using Outlook 2003 not Express as my default email program. I've
tried de-installing OE in Windows Components but the messages keep happening.
The C:\Program Files\Outlook Express folder is still in there after the
de-install. This is just nuts. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bruce Hagen

Jun 8, 2008, 8:00:17 PM6/8/08
We are still trying to narrow down the culprit. One poster found the problem
was caused by Nero plugin. Another, IBM Rapid Access keyboard. And Norton
may play a role as well. Are you using any of these?

Some archived posts:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?qt_s=1&q=%22IBM+Rapid+Access%22+%2B+%22pa+bear%

You may also have a bad install if SP3 was downloaded with an anti-virus, or
anti-spyware, program running.

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx

* If the configuration of your antivirus software prevents certain system
files from being changed, SP3 installation might fail. Try temporarily
disabling your antivirus software. You can usually do this by right-clicking
your antivirus program icon (which typically appears in the bottom
right-hand corner of the computer screen) and clicking Disable.

* If you disable your antivirus software before you install the service
pack, be sure that you are aware of the risks involved, and be sure to
enable it after the service pack is installed.

Remove SP3 via Add/Remove Programs, reboot and download and install it
again. Before you do, turn off your anti-virus and any anti-spyware programs
such as Windows Defender. If you use a third party firewall, disable it and
turn on the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel for the installation. Once
SP3 is in and working, you can enable the third party firewall and turn of
the Windows Firewall. Do not keep both running.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"TSGarp00" <TSGa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Michael Santovec

Jun 9, 2008, 2:07:57 AM6/9/08
If you just ignore the prompt (don't click any of the buttons) and more
onto some other window, do additional prompts come up?

Also make sure that Outlook 2003 is set as your default mail program.
Take a look at
http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm

Also Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Set Program Access and
Defaults, Custom, Email and Uncheck enable access to Outlook Express

Henrik

Aug 19, 2008, 5:07:01 PM8/19/08
I had the same problem and solved it by deleting all files in c:\program
files\outlook express. The files somehow imedietly was recreated automaticly
but the problem is gone.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 19, 2008, 9:14:53 PM8/19/08
[Yeah, uh-huh...]

Modifiers

Aug 31, 2008, 2:18:01 AM8/31/08
Hi I use the Microsoft Windows Search. I also do not use Outlook Express.

I went to Control Panel, and clicked on INDEXING OPTIONS. Outlook Express
was checked for all users at my Windows XP workstation (even though I do not
use Outlook Express)

I clicked MODIFY and cleared the check boxes.

The problem went away

Blake

Sep 9, 2008, 10:28:14 AM9/9/08
Hi Chris, I just installed XP Service pack 3 and this same problem has
occurred. I don't even use Outlook express either. I can't seem to see if
your problem has been resolved. If it has please let me know how. Cheers,
Blake

Bruce Hagen

Sep 9, 2008, 10:59:40 AM9/9/08
This can happen even if you do not use Outlook Express.

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after 100
closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be. There is a
growing number of programs and actions that may be causing this after
installing SP3. Do you have any of the following?

IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL
Windows Desktop Search
Window Live Mail (even if it was removed)
Mailwasher
Nero plug-in(s)

Opening EML files while OE is closed will also contribute to the registry
count.

Various anti-virus, anti-spyware and third party firewalls, especially if
they were running when you installed SP3.

Recent archived thread discussing this issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/fcd35fbfa457fd6f

You could also download RegMon:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx.

Run the program and monitor the Compact Count Check registry value by
filtering on: Compact Count Check.

This should identify the program that is causing the rapid increase in the
Compact Check Count registry value.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Blake" <Bl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Michael Santovec

Sep 9, 2008, 4:54:03 PM9/9/08
If you aren't using Outlook Express, my suspicion would be that you have
some software that is indexing your hard drive. This would include
Windows Desktop Search, Nero Scout or anything similar.

What you need to do in such software is to tell it NOT to index Outlook
Express or to exclude file types DBX, EML and NWS.

Kimbrian

Sep 11, 2008, 12:55:01 PM9/11/08
Thanks for the information, followed your instructions and the problem seems
to have been solved, regards Brian

Dale - SBSguy unleashed

Sep 24, 2008, 2:17:08 PM9/24/08
As has been explained by others, Outlook Express is currently set to count
how many times it opens and closes and then trigger an automated compaction
of its message store. Rather than have it occur in the background without
user interaction we now have a prompt message.

You said you don't use OE and either do I but still I got annoyed with the
reported message. Why? As indicated by others in this thread other programs
such as Windows Desktop Search and Nero can effectively open and close some
OE file sufficient to trigger the counter. When the counter reaches 100 the
message triggers.

So you can simple alter the registry to set that counter to 0 and that will
buy you a little time until it reaches 100 again. My own test will be to
remove that subkey and see it stays gone. Normal precautions and warning to
editing the registry apply though I won't repeat them. Here's where:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
->Compact Check Count
change the value to 0
close the registry

--
Tehnology Blog with SBS Focus
www.duitwithsbs.wordpress.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 24, 2008, 2:39:41 PM9/24/08
It's much more complicated than that in WinXP SP3, Dale.

Dale - SBSguy unleashed wrote:
> As has been explained by others, Outlook Express is currently set to count
> how many times it opens and closes and then trigger an automated
> compaction
> of its message store. Rather than have it occur in the background without
> user interaction we now have a prompt message.
>
> You said you don't use OE and either do I but still I got annoyed with the
> reported message. Why? As indicated by others in this thread other
> programs such as Windows Desktop Search and Nero can effectively open and
> close some OE file sufficient to trigger the counter. When the counter
> reaches 100 the message triggers.
>
> So you can simple alter the registry to set that counter to 0 and that
> will
> buy you a little time until it reaches 100 again. My own test will be to
> remove that subkey and see it stays gone. Normal precautions and warning
> editing the registry apply though I won't repeat them. Here's where:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
> ->Compact Check Count
> change the value to 0
> close the registry

Dale - SBSguy unleashed

Sep 24, 2008, 3:20:10 PM9/24/08
Please add whatever helpful information you know or point to it with a
link.
Is it necessary to explain the elaborateness of this in order to simply
convey that there is a counter behind it all that can simply be turned off?

The more difficult scenario would be for those that actually want to use OE
and would suffer with either the chronic annoying message or have to remember
to manually compact the messages from time to time.

The fact that it has existed for such a long time and Microsoft hasn't yet
addressed this with a KB or released any patch is disappointing.

Live Mail is a big improvement to OE and hopefully, people would consider
this as a change. Still the OE message will continue though.
--
Technology Blog around SBS
www.duitwithsbs.wordpress.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 24, 2008, 6:37:35 PM9/24/08
Bruce pretty much summed it up in his 09 Sept-08 reply to this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/msg/bfbd04bec1a4df1f

Here's my version:

See this recent discussion about the problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/fcd35fbfa457fd6f

For reference, here's a list of things which are known to cause this
behavior:

• Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
• Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
• Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
• Any/all of the above running when WinXP SP3 was installed;
• IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
• Nero plug-in(s);
• Windows Desktop Search is installed;
• Windows Live Mail is or had been installed;
• Disk defragmentation, need for;
• Using Visual Basic DoCmd.SendObject command to create an email;
• Using any number third-party applications (e.g., accounting software) to
send emails by via Outlook Express;
• MailWasher; and/or
• Programatically opening EML files while OE is closed (e.g., creating a
New Message via Address Book).

Note that the vast majority of OE users are NOT seeing this behavior in
WinXP SP3.
--
~PA Bear

Dale - SBSguy unleashed wrote:
> Please add whatever helpful information you know or point to it with a
> link.
> Is it necessary to explain the elaborateness of this in order to simply
> convey that there is a counter behind it all that can simply be turned
> off?
>
> The more difficult scenario would be for those that actually want to use
> OE
> and would suffer with either the chronic annoying message or have to
> remember to manually compact the messages from time to time.
>
> The fact that it has existed for such a long time and Microsoft hasn't yet
> addressed this with a KB or released any patch is disappointing.
>
> Live Mail is a big improvement to OE and hopefully, people would consider
> this as a change. Still the OE message will continue though.

Dale - SBSguy unleashed

Sep 24, 2008, 7:38:12 PM9/24/08
Yes, those are good references that seem to sum up the greater situation.

From my perspective I don't care if the OE counter ever counts anything as I
will never use OE ever never again. It doesn't matter that a non-used
program never gets it empty database compacted. So my solution is to
effectively remove the counting mechanism itself by simply deleting the
subkey of that counter. If it isn't there it can't hold a value and
subsequently the message is never triggered. Problem solved and no secondary
issues.

Another program specific workaround with Windows Desktop Search is to
uncheck the Indexing Locations that by default have Outlook Express set to
index for every user account.
--
Technology Blog for SBS
www.duitwithsbs.wordpress.com

Bruce Hagen

Sep 24, 2008, 7:47:41 PM9/24/08
Execute.

<qp>

> Another program specific workaround with Windows Desktop Search is to
> uncheck the Indexing Locations that by default have Outlook Express set to
> index for every user account.

</qp>

If Windows Desktop Search is the culprit, you need to tell it to stop
indexing.

Control Panel | INDEXING OPTIONS. Click: MODIFY and clear the check box
for Outlook Express.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Dale - SBSguy unleashed" <DaleSBSgu...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Ron Sommer

Sep 24, 2008, 10:46:59 PM9/24/08
The count is increased when OE closes. The count doesn't change when OE
opens.

The message triggers on any closes after the count has reached 100, so on
the 101 and higher closing you get the compaction message.
--
Ronald Sommer

"Dale - SBSguy unleashed" <DaleSBSgu...@discussions.microsoft.com>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 25, 2008, 2:18:02 AM9/25/08
Again, it's more complicated than that in WinXP SP3 for some users, Ron.

Ron Sommer wrote:
> The count is increased when OE closes. The count doesn't change when OE
> opens.
>
> The message triggers on any closes after the count has reached 100, so on
> the 101 and higher closing you get the compaction message.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 25, 2008, 2:17:25 AM9/25/08
I'm surprised that the CompactCount subkey isn't recreated upon rebooting.

Note that the behavior can be seen in WinXP SP3 even if OE's never been
used.
--
~PA Bear

Dale - SBSguy unleashed wrote:
> Yes, those are good references that seem to sum up the greater situation.
>
> From my perspective I don't care if the OE counter ever counts anything as
> will never use OE ever never again. It doesn't matter that a non-used
> program never gets it empty database compacted. So my solution is to
> effectively remove the counting mechanism itself by simply deleting the
> subkey of that counter. If it isn't there it can't hold a value and
> subsequently the message is never triggered. Problem solved and no
> secondary issues.
>
> Another program specific workaround with Windows Desktop Search is to
> uncheck the Indexing Locations that by default have Outlook Express set to
> index for every user account.

Dale - SBSguy unleashed

Oct 19, 2008, 4:14:01 PM10/19/08
...never been used - XP SP3 - exactly the situation I continue to experience

upon reboot the subkey remains gone and so does the related annoying messages

Problem solved albeit not the root cause

--
Technology Blog for SBS
www.duitwithsbs.wordpress.com

Brandon

Oct 28, 2008, 5:34:00 PM10/28/08
I deleted the "Windows Search" shortcut in my Start Up folder, and that fixed
the issue. I use Outlook 2007 and have never used OE. Had the same issue for
about a week.

Good luck.

Michael Santovec

Oct 28, 2008, 11:08:27 PM10/28/08
If you want to use Windows Desktop Search you can tell it Not to index
Outlook Express and you will avoid the Compacting prompts.

Windows Desktop Search
Control Panel, INDEXING OPTIONS, click MODIFY and clear the check box
for Outlook Express

"Brandon" <Bra...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

M@discussions.microsoft.com Gregor M

Nov 28, 2008, 5:04:01 PM11/28/08
This started popping up on my computer too. An alteration of your registry
should fix this problem, though.

Close all programs and, to be safe, create a System Restore point.

Open Start, click run, type "regedit" and press enter
Look for this key in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0

Double click the Compact Check Count
Select the Base option for Decimal and change the value to 0
This should change both the Hexadecimal and decimal values to zero.
Close the Registry.

This should cure your problem

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 28, 2008, 5:49:16 PM11/28/08
Not if you've run into the WinXP SP3-related Compact issue.

Nov 30, 2008, 7:11:34 PM11/30/08
Please, what is the fix for it in XP SP3?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Nov 30, 2008, 8:20:45 PM11/30/08
Please start your own new thread and explain /your/ problem so there is no
confusion. Thank you.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"M" <pctech_...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Troy

Feb 8, 2009, 8:00:01 PM2/8/09
Removing Windows Search 4.0 worked for me. My problem was a little bit
different though. I kept getting this message everytime I booted up. I didn't
even use OE.
--
Troy

Bruce Hagen

Feb 8, 2009, 8:16:56 PM2/8/09
Doesn't matter if you use OE or not. Windows Search and some
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

other programs can cause this even it you do not use OE.

"Troy" <Tr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 9, 2009, 1:22:50 AM2/9/09
[Methinks Troy didn't expand the thread to see the other 30 posts before he
posted]

Troy wrote:
> Removing Windows Search 4.0 worked for me. My problem was a little bit
> different though. I kept getting this message everytime I booted up. I
> didn't even use OE.

Jan

Feb 15, 2009, 10:56:03 AM2/15/09

Jan

Feb 15, 2009, 10:57:01 AM2/15/09
Great! This was happening to me every time I booted. Thanks alot.

Rich

May 17, 2009, 8:50:01 PM5/17/09
Thanks. I would have never found this setting. How is anyone supposed to
trace an error message that says that Outlook Express is doing something back
to a setting for Windows Search? How are we supposed to know that the setting
for this is in the Control Panel and not in Windows Search itself?

I'm hoping this will be fixed in the next hot patch I download.

Bruce Hagen

May 17, 2009, 8:55:58 PM5/17/09
Please start your own new thread instead of hijacking another. Most of us
delete posts after a few days so what you posted and quoted does not tell
your story. Thank you.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Rich" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 18, 2009, 2:45:10 AM5/18/09
It took OE MVPs close over 6 weeks to troubleshoot this with absolutely zero
help from MS.

All OE development stopped in June 2006: There will be further "hot
patches," even to address this.

You might better ask WTF Windows Search (v4.0) was "pushed" to WinXP
machines via Automatic Updates, even to machines where Windows Desktop
Search (v3.x) wasn't installed and had never been installed!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Rich wrote:
> Thanks. I would have never found this setting. How is anyone supposed to
> trace an error message that says that Outlook Express is doing something
> back to a setting for Windows Search? How are we supposed to know that the
> setting for this is in the Control Panel and not in Windows Search itself?
>
> I'm hoping this will be fixed in the next hot patch I download.
>
> "Modifiers" wrote:
>
>> Hi I use the Microsoft Windows Search. I also do not use Outlook
>> Express.
>>
>> I went to Control Panel, and clicked on INDEXING OPTIONS. Outlook Express
>> was checked for all users at my Windows XP workstation (even though I do
>> not use Outlook Express)
>>
>> I clicked MODIFY and cleared the check boxes.
>>
>> The problem went away
>>

>>> Just recently "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact
>>> messages. This may take up to a few minutes." started coming up
>>> frequently. (Once every 20 seconds)
>>>
>>> If I ignore it, it will close it self and then popup again.
>>>
>>> I don't even USE Outlook Express. I even removed OE using add/remove
>>> programs in the control panel.
>>>
>>> Please help. Its driving me insane!
>>>

>>> btw, I'm using Windows [Live] Mail.

Ninjagrrrl

May 20, 2009, 9:49:00 PM5/20/09
OK either I am on Mars or we are using a completely different OS. There is
no "Indexing Options" under control panel in my world.
But then again let me get back in my rocking chair and fire up my laptop
with XP PRO on it. I am a tech that works all day with Vista. Admittedly no
problems with Vista but listen to hoards of people who want to complain about
it instead of just shutting up and learning how to use it.

"Modifiers" wrote:

> Hi I use the Microsoft Windows Search. I also do not use Outlook Express.
>
> I went to Control Panel, and clicked on INDEXING OPTIONS. Outlook Express
> was checked for all users at my Windows XP workstation (even though I do not
> use Outlook Express)
>
> I clicked MODIFY and cleared the check boxes.
>
> The problem went away
>

> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > Just recently "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.
> > This may take up to a few minutes." started coming up frequently. (Once
> > every 20 seconds)
> >
> > If I ignore it, it will close it self and then popup again.
> >
> > I don't even USE Outlook Express. I even removed OE using add/remove
> > programs in the control panel.
> >
> > Please help. Its driving me insane!
> >

> > btw, I'm using Windows Mail.

Bruce Hagen

May 20, 2009, 9:59:16 PM5/20/09
1: What is /your/ question?

2: Why are you hijacking this thread instead of starting your own?

3: If your OS is Vista, you do not have Outlook Express and therefore this
newsgroup is not where you want to be.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Ninjagrrrl" <Ninja...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Twayne

May 21, 2009, 10:11:57 AM5/21/09
If you look up "indexing" in Help and Support, the choose "Indexing
Service" from the list of found items, you'll see:
------------------------
Indexing Service
You can use Indexing Service to index documents and document properties
on your disks and store the information in a catalog. You can also use
Indexing Service to search for documents, either through Search on the
Start menu or through a Web browser.
To start using Indexing Service, do any of the following:
Open Indexing *Service*.
Open Indexing *Service Help*.
---------------
The words between the * are links and the first one will open the proper
dialog box for you.

Then, under "Using Indexing" there is another item thusly:
-------------
Using Indexing Service
Indexing Service creates indexes of the contents and properties of
documents on your local hard drive and on shared network drives. You can
also control the information included in the indexes. Indexing Service
is designed to run continuously and requires little, if any,
maintenance.
To open Indexing Service
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, double-click Services and Applications.
Double-click Indexing Service.
Notes
To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then
click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then
double-click Computer Management.
For information about using Indexing Service, on the Action menu in
Computer Management, click Help.
For more information, click Related Topics.
-------------

Notice THAT one tells you how to start the Indexing Service dialog from
Administrative Tools and Computer Management from Administrative Tools
in the Control Panel.

See how easy it was? Now you have two ways to access it, and its own
Help file with more details to boot.

Whenever you have a problem it's always best to start by looking in Help
and if that's no help, then try searching for an answer with your
favorite Search Engine. There is Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask Jeeves, etc.,
all kinds of t hem available on the 'net. But many times you can find
the easier answers (like this one) right on your own computer. With a
little experience it won't be long before you'll know as much or more
than many who post on the groups.
HTH,

Twayne`

Howard@discussions.microsoft.com Tom Howard

Dec 15, 2009, 12:21:02 PM12/15/09
This fix worked for me, but the truly frustrating thing is that I've applied
the recommended policy in
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732491(WS.10).aspx to disable OE
indexing entirely, and it still shows up. I know the policy is applying,
because I'm using the same policy to distribute the package.

Default Exclude: outlookexpress://{*}/*

"Henrik" wrote:

> I had the same problem and solved it by deleting all files in c:\program
> files\outlook express. The files somehow imedietly was recreated automaticly
> but the problem is gone.

Dean

Dec 17, 2009, 10:30:01 AM12/17/09
Rick,
Just a side note to this thread.... I found the "offending application" by
bringing up Task Manager, Right Clicking the application and selected "Go to
Process."

That highlighted WindowsSearch.exe as the process which generated the popup
message and got me moving on the solution.

I hope your problem was solved and you moved on.

...Dean

Lisette

Jan 12, 2010, 2:38:01 AM1/12/10
Try finding "NMIndexStoreSvr.exe" (this is the file causing the pop-up) with
the search tool of explorer. You will have a hit for 2 files. Select them
and do a "Shift+delete" It worked for me.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 12, 2010, 12:01:18 PM1/12/10

Thank you for replying to a thread from May 2008 where the "I'm using
Windows Mail" OP was never heard from again.

cf. ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero8/scout/NeroScout_Enu.pdf

Also see http://www.nero.com/eng/support-faq.html?s=sub&t=Scout

Huub

Mar 4, 2010, 2:22:01 AM3/4/10
This is the solution for my problem. Thank you!

"Modifiers" wrote:

> Hi I use the Microsoft Windows Search. I also do not use Outlook Express.
>
> I went to Control Panel, and clicked on INDEXING OPTIONS. Outlook Express
> was checked for all users at my Windows XP workstation (even though I do not
> use Outlook Express)
>
> I clicked MODIFY and cleared the check boxes.
>
> The problem went away

Lorenzo

Mar 9, 2010, 11:50:04 AM3/9/10
Modifiers solution sounded simple and easy so did it. Next boot up, same
problem appeared. Have not tried the "remove program files/outlook express"
yet. Will keep looking before trying that... Lorenzo

Bruce Hagen

Mar 9, 2010, 12:19:35 PM3/9/10
It would avoid a lot of confusion if you started your own new thread.

Do you use OE? After clearing the indexing options for OE, did you let it
compact once?

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Lorenzo" <Lor...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sun@discussions.microsoft.com A Sun

Mar 18, 2010, 10:04:01 AM3/18/10
I followed the instruction but the problem is still there

"Kimbrian" wrote:

> Thanks for the information, followed your instructions and the problem seems
> to have been solved, regards Brian

Bruce Hagen

Mar 18, 2010, 10:13:26 AM3/18/10
Please start your own new thread instead of hijacking this one, thank you.
Include as many details as you can.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"A Sun" <A S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Madore@discussions.microsoft.com Mike Madore

Apr 18, 2010, 6:27:01 PM4/18/10

"Henrik" wrote:

> I had the same problem and solved it by deleting all files in c:\program
> files\outlook express. The files somehow imedietly was recreated automaticly
> but the problem is gone.

FJames

Jun 4, 2010, 11:22:20 AM6/4/10
I had the same issue of getting the outlook express compact messages dialog
on startup, but i use outlook and have never opened outlook express. I too
have it unchecked/uninstalled in the add/remove windows components window.
It turns out it was windows desktop search that was the culprit. I opened
the windows search options dialog and clicked modify. then i unchecked all
the outlook express items in the list, and my problem went away.

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

> Have you installed Windows Desktop Search?
>
> Apparently, if its set to index OE, it invisibly opens and closes OE
> every few minutes in order to the index the OE message store. After 100
> open/closes OE will start prompting you about compacting.
>
> Do you still have the folder
> C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
>
> My guess would be the WDS is calling MSOE.DLL there.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

Andreas

Jun 22, 2010, 7:11:57 PM6/22/10
Here's the fix!!! If you have the Windows Search Engine - It is related to
the "Microsoft Desktop Search" engine - This is a known issue
- The fix (or modification) is to "right-click" the magnifying glass icon in
the toolbar menu and choose Windows Desktop Search Options from the menu.

If Microsoft Outlook Express is listed under 'Included Locations' then
left-click on it and click on the 'Modify' button'. You should see an Indexed
Locations popup where you can 'uncheck' the Microsoft Outlook Express: Main
Identity entry and you will no longer receive the message. Hope this helps!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 22, 2010, 8:20:59 PM6/22/10

Why are you replying to a thread from May 2008?

What part of "I'm using Windows Mail" don't you understand?

Will

Jun 29, 2010, 10:05:55 AM6/29/10
I don't have OE installed on my laptop either, and still received the
message. Your solution is the one!

"Modifiers" wrote:

> Hi I use the Microsoft Windows Search. I also do not use Outlook Express.
>
> I went to Control Panel, and clicked on INDEXING OPTIONS. Outlook Express
> was checked for all users at my Windows XP workstation (even though I do not
> use Outlook Express)
>
> I clicked MODIFY and cleared the check boxes.
>
> The problem went away

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 29, 2010, 8:12:08 PM6/29/10
You may have disabled access to OE but it's still installed, d00d.