Message could not be displayed

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 11, 2007, 8:43:16 PM9/11/07

Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 11, 2007, 9:11:04 PM9/11/07
| Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
| message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
again.

Sorry-Was going to wait to send this (send later) but it disappeared from my
Outbox.
Anyway,this is what I see after I've been perusing the newsgroups a while.
This just started occurring the last week or so & whenever it's about to
happen,the virtual memory for Outlook Express,according to Process
Explorer,is approaching 2,000,000k.
I removed some old entries that I had been saving in Drafts & compact all
folders regularly,but still no joy.
I know it can't be lack of memory since I have a gig of physical ram on this
machine(XP Home).
I'm not sure,but I think it started around the time I updated MSN Messenger
to 8.5 & it asked during installation if I wanted it to handle my default
email ,which I thought it meant Hotmail. While installing,the download
proceeded to remove the OE icon from my desktop & replaced it with 1 for
Windows Mail. I interrupted the install when the setup wizard for mail
started & when I did,the OE icon reappeared,along with an error message
about the interruption of the setup.
I used to be able to spend hours on the newsgroups,with no problems & now I
have to close OE & reopen it to be able to continue,till I approach the
2,000,000k mark.
Please help me with this as I have learned so much from these newsgroups (XP
General,mostly) but am quite new here in the OE group,& have not found
anything that relates to my dilemma.
~Gary

PA Bear

Sep 11, 2007, 8:58:37 PM9/11/07
[You, too? I've been suffering from this and similar since last week.]

Start here: http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

"Gary Brandenburg" <blah,blah,blah@blah blah.com> wrote in message

Peter Foldes

Sep 12, 2007, 9:17:50 AM9/12/07
I also was experiencing similar issues. After rechecking everything and resetting some settings it still continued.
Seems to have stopped and everything back to normal since 2 days

--
Peter

PA Bear

Sep 12, 2007, 2:30:17 PM9/12/07
Freudi pointed out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319740 to me this
morning. I installed it and <touch wood> so far, so good. (OE's been a
"GDI leaker" since SP2 was released.)
--
~PA Bear

Peter Foldes wrote:
> I also was experiencing similar issues. After rechecking everything and
> resetting some settings it still continued.
> Seems to have stopped and everything back to normal since 2 days

PA Bear

Sep 12, 2007, 2:42:07 PM9/12/07
[10 minutes later] When I visited Windows Update newsgroup just now, the
unwanted behavior returned. <sigh> I definitely think the "ghosts" in that
particular newsgroup are causing the problem.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear wrote:
> Freudi pointed out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319740 to me this
> morning. I installed it and <touch wood> so far, so good. (OE's been a
> "GDI leaker" since SP2 was released.)

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 12, 2007, 5:51:47 PM9/12/07
HeeHee-The same ghosts must be in this newsgroup as well as XP General
because it happened to me also,after downloading the fix that you tried.
Thank you for trying PA Bear,& after reading your many helpful responses on
here,as well as in Googlegroups,it's not a matter of *if* you'll find a
solution,but *when* you'll find 1 so we can spend uninterupted time in these
NGs(like we used to be able to).
I can't help but feel confident that will happen since, you too, are having
the same problem &, as much as I probably need some guidelines, as to how
much time I'm in here, I prefer to just "park" here for a while & soak up
the many many tidbits of valuable info I find here.
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 12, 2007, 5:59:29 PM9/12/07
For me, it seems to happen only if "Hide read messages" and "Show replies to
my messages" is enabled at View > Current view, and only in
microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup (and one or two private newsgroups
also on the MS newsserver).

On a regular basis, I manually apply a Message Rule that deletes all
messages downloaded over 3 days ago and then compact all OE folders.
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 12, 2007, 6:49:13 PM9/12/07
I created a rule that deletes messages downloaded over 8 days ago &
occasionally manually "apply now", followed by a compact all folders(while
working offline).BTW,what is the "stop processing more rules" needed for
when creating message rules?
Also about a month ago,I would sometimes get an error message with the
msoeres.dll,msoe.dll & mapistub.dll but this seemed to be after running
NTRegopt while OE was still open,& checking for messages every 60
seconds.(or that's why I thought it may have occured) Any chance that this
might have something to do with all of this?
Thank you,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 13, 2007, 11:15:28 AM9/13/07
> ...what is the "stop processing more rules" needed for
> when creating message rules?

If a Rule is to be applied Manually only (e.g., "Delete messages downloaded
over x days ago"), the Rule needn't end with "Stop processing more rules."
For rules that run Automatically, that line stops any further Rules from
being applied; see:

Message Rules Tips
http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm

Why doesn't my rule work?
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules

> Also about a month ago,I would sometimes get an error message with the
> msoeres.dll,msoe.dll & mapistub.dll

Such errors usually point to corruption in the message store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain); see
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash.

> ...this seemed to be after running

> NTRegopt while OE was still open,& checking for messages every 60
> seconds.

While Lars makes no reference to the necessity of closing all applications
before running NTRegOpt in the Readme file, I kinda doubt running NTRegOpt
with OE or any other applications open will make a difference or cause such
problems in OE. That being said, I always close all open applications
before running NTRegOpt.

I'd not configure OE to run an automatic Send/Receive for anything less than
5 minutes, Gary. If OE's still downloading messages (e.g., say one or more
very large messages) when the next 60-second interval hits, things could get
very, er..., confused. [How important are your emails, anyway? <wink>]

Related: A few of my colleagues have been able to repro the behavior we're
discussing here.

One of them notes that if you encounter the behavior and open a second
instance of OE using either MultiOE
(http://vb.mvps.org/samples/project.asp?id=MultiOE) or MNISM
(http://oe-faq.de/?Tools:MNISM), this second instance (which opens to the
same identity using the same store by default) is fully functional. This
suggests that the problem is not due to corruption in the store.
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg wrote:
> I created a rule that deletes messages downloaded over 8 days ago &
> occasionally manually "apply now", followed by a compact all folders(while
> working offline).BTW,what is the "stop processing more rules" needed for
> when creating message rules?
> Also about a month ago,I would sometimes get an error message with the
> msoeres.dll,msoe.dll & mapistub.dll but this seemed to be after running
> NTRegopt while OE was still open,& checking for messages every 60
> seconds.(or that's why I thought it may have occured) Any chance that this
> might have something to do with all of this?

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 13, 2007, 5:44:50 PM9/13/07
Thank you PA Bear-
You've given me some very good places to start.
I never thought of how the frequency of the "checking for new messages"
could be problematic & I can now see how some emails,especially ones with a
PowerPoint attachment, that may, still be downloading when the cycle begins
anew, can be.

One thing that I noticed yesterday when I was composing my response-I had an
error triangle, down on the right bottom bar where the "checking for mail/no
new messages" appears & when I clicked on it said something about a socket
error with my ISP(Comcast)& "lost connection with the server".Once I sent
the reply, though, the triangle went away though.
Also,when I get the "message cannot be displayed", I usually can't even go
back to my inbox, but yesterday I could,& even view the body below the
preview pane,but could not return to 2 of the "just visited" NGs,but I could
view a couple that I had not been on/in,as of yet. It was only a short time
later, though, that I couldn't view anything(as before) & had to close OE &
reopen it.

Also, after reading about possible folder corruption, I downloaded the OE
Quick Backup & made a backup, did some housekeeping & compacting, & created
a backup of the "slimmed down version" with the *overwrite* box ticked.
Now, if it is folder corruption, & I remove the folders, & use the restore
function, will the corruption be restored as well?

I am so grateful for all the time that you've spent, helping me with this
problem, & am looking forward to Fri. night, when I am able to devote a lot
more time troubleshooting this thing.
Thank you very much!
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 14, 2007, 11:32:57 AM9/14/07
YW, Gary. In the past few days whenever I encounter this behavior and OE's
not working, I just open a second instance of OE using MultiOE, close the
first instance, and continue on with my work. If and when this new instance
starts hanging, I just repeat the process.

[The only thing irritating about this (other than the fact that I have to do
it) is that I can't keep my OE icon at the far left of the taskbar, which
I'm /very/ used to.]

I'll keep you informed of any news or developments via this thread.

PA Bear

Sep 14, 2007, 4:12:00 PM9/14/07
OT: Gary, should you choose to install 319740 this weekend (even though it
won't address the problem), do a Send/Receive (after installing it) and tell
me if the Send/Receive left-to-right "progess bar" displays green or blue.
Thanks.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 14, 2007, 5:49:44 PM9/14/07
Oh,I installed it the day you sent it to me but I m using the Zune theme &
all my progress bars are orange with that theme(including send/receive). Did
it change yours to blue? That would be cool ! Will have to check that out
with another theme.

Thanks again, PA Bear, for keeping me posted on any new developments & I am
thinking about trying the download to allow another instance of OE. I guess,
the thing that had me a little leery, was the disclaimer stating that one
must fix the existing one, or could end up with a hosed version of OE in the
end.

It's Friday,& I am usually up to about 3 am, "tinkering" with this thing &
seeing what I can learn on these NGs. It's my way to make up for all the
times during the week, when I have to get ready for the next day @ work, &
end up cutting my attempts short, in whatever I'm doing, to learn more about
the amazing world of computers. 0_o

~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 14, 2007, 5:56:31 PM9/14/07
I'm running XP Theme here. The "progress bar" had been green but it's
changed to blue. I don't know whether it's due to installing 319740 or if
it's another symptom of the ongoing problem.

> ...I am thinking about trying the download to allow another instance of
> OE.

I can 99.9% guarantee you that reinstalling OE won't correct the behavior,
Gary.
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg wrote:
> Oh,I installed it the day you sent it to me but I m using the Zune theme &
> all my progress bars are orange with that theme(including send/receive).
> Did
> it change yours to blue? That would be cool ! Will have to check that out
> with another theme.
>
> Thanks again, PA Bear, for keeping me posted on any new developments & I
> am
> thinking about trying the download to allow another instance of OE. I
> guess,
> the thing that had me a little leery, was the disclaimer stating that one
> must fix the existing one, or could end up with a hosed version of OE in
> the
> end.
>
> It's Friday,& I am usually up to about 3 am, "tinkering" with this thing &
> seeing what I can learn on these NGs. It's my way to make up for all the
> times during the week, when I have to get ready for the next day @ work, &
> end up cutting my attempts short, in whatever I'm doing, to learn more
> about
> the amazing world of computers. 0_o

PA Bear

Sep 15, 2007, 9:31:07 AM9/15/07
Update: I fired up OE today and the progress bar is green again! <doh>

PA Bear wrote:
> I'm running XP Theme here. The "progress bar" had been green but it's
> changed to blue. I don't know whether it's due to installing 319740 or if
> it's another symptom of the ongoing problem.
>
>> ...I am thinking about trying the download to allow another instance of
>> OE.
>
> I can 99.9% guarantee you that reinstalling OE won't correct the behavior,
> Gary.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 15, 2007, 12:34:20 PM9/15/07
Heehee-These things seem to have a mind of their own & take pleasure in
messing with you at times.I tried changing my themes, in order to duplicate
it on mine, & could only manage to get the default green progress bar here,
with default blue color scheme, & *no* progress bar at all, with the olive
or silver schemes.-Go figure.

Had a late night on here & tried the compact/create backup/removal of dbx
files & folders/compacting again(which was instantaneous then) followed by
the restore/compact again & the virtual memory in Process Explorer shows
around 80,000 when OE first starts back up, & rapidly grows with each post
viewed. I, again, noticed that whenever the NG that I was in, "maxes out", I
can go to another NG & view posts on them, till they "max out", before I
have to close OE & restart it. I can even go back to my Inbox for a few
minutes & view email again. It's as if the NG that I'm in, has a limit, to
the number of posts that can be viewed at any particular instance.< So
strange> Virtual memory is always around 1,868,000 for OE, when this occurs.

I did run SFC /scannow while I was doing some cleaning in the back room, &
Event Viewer showed a couple of dozen DLLs that it had to restore
(successfully) except for the jcript.dll, which I ended up downloading from
the Adobe site(newer version). This was the first instance of running SFC
that actually yielded some problems that it had to "fix", so I had gotten my
hopes up,that this could have *some* bearing on why I've started
experiencing these problems viewing the NGs, but later on, the same message
reared it's ugly head again, & I was finding myself closing/restarting OE,
yet again. Oh well, I'm not about to let this thing get the better of me, &
will continue to try to iron it out.

I do appreciate your correspondence with me on this & it really helps to
know that I'm not having to go it alone, during this baffling inconvenience.

~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 15, 2007, 2:51:02 PM9/15/07
Do you see the same behavior in a new identity?

What newsgroups do you read and what newsserver do you use to read them?
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 15, 2007, 5:42:50 PM9/15/07
I haven't tried creating another identity.
I use msnews.microsoft.com for: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
microsoft.public.windowsupdate
microsoft.public.msnmessenger
& I use privatenews.microsoft.com for: microsoft.private.security.spyware.general,
for the Defender newsgroup.

Weird thing-just checked my indentity stores & there were 3- Deleted Items.dbx
folders & the 2 extras had a (1) & a (2) appended to it. There was also an extra
outbox.dbx that was called Outbox (1).dbx that was grouped with the other
Outbox.dbx. There was nothing in my Deleted Items folder as I "empty on exit". I had
started my reply & stopped it for now,when I, then, looked at the stores folders.
This thing just gets stranger by the moment.

Do you think that I should try creating another identity? It's just that I dread
setting it all up, like I have this one. Took a lot of research, as well as, trial &
error, to get it tweaked like I want it, & I hate the thoughts of starting from
square one, but am willing to do what it takes, in order to be able to spend some
time reading these NGs.

Thank you,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 16, 2007, 10:42:41 AM9/16/07
Creating another identity* is a pain, for sure, but you might try creating a
new one and test it by only using it for your newsgroups. If you do, I
think you'll eventually see the same behavior in it. I've tried 3 new
identities in the past 10 days and the behavior has eventually occurred in
all of them. The behavior does *not* occur if I don't open any newsgroups
on the msnews.microsoft.com server.

[I think this problem is being caused by what we call "ghosts" on the
newsserver. (We can get into this later.) I subscribe to 5 out of 7 of
your newsgroups. Several of us have more or less determined that the
"ghosts" in at least the Windows Update newsgroup causes the unwanted
behavior.]
==============
Assuming both Deleted Items.dbx and Outbox.dbx are empty, proceed as follows
to address the corruption in your current identity's store (which, I
believe, has nothing to do with the behavior we're discussing in this
thread):

1. If there's anything you want to archive (save) in Sent Items, move these
messages to another local folder(s) you've created for this purpose.

2. If you've got a /ton/ of messages archived in your Inbox, move most of
them, too, to other, user-created local folders.

3. Compact all OE folders
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact).

4. Close OE.

5. In Windows Explorer, open your store folder
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain), find and delete Sent
Items.dbx, Deleted Items.dbx, Deleted Items (1).dbx, Deleted Items (2).dbx,
Outbox.dbx, and Outbox (1).dbx. (When you next open OE, these default files
will be recreated automatically.)

To avoid this type of curruption in the future, adhere to these caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". (I'd advise you to manually delete the contents of Deleted Items
before compacting all folders.)

- Do not shut down your machine or attempt to close OE while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such

corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

On a personal note, I sincerely appreciate being able to have this
troubleshooting conversation with you. In the end, it may help in getting
this fixed.

*You'll find information on the follow pages that can make configuring a new
identity faster and a little less painless: http://www.insideoe.com/backup/
and http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#backupacc
--
~PA Bear

> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you see the same behavior in a new identity?
>>
>> What newsgroups do you read and what newsserver do you use to read them?

jmatt...@googlemail.com

Sep 16, 2007, 2:23:10 PM9/16/07
I've been having the same problems. It started yesterday with me. I
use OE for reading newsgroups, suddenly I got a memory error. To start
with I only got it when reading the newsgroups. Each time it happened
my newsgroups just disappeared, after the thrid or fourth time of
reloading my all newsgroups I gave up. I went to the Microsoft
newsgroups to get help, and from reading what you have written here
which is basically what I was given there, I applied the rules. I dont
have much of a full inbox, I dont have it set to download messages
automatically, I prefer to do that myself, and even though the
newsgroups have quite a few messages in them, until yesterday worked
perfectly. I could get over error message by closing OE then
reopening.

Today I started to get problems reading the reading my mail. Which
means that I'm now having to close OE even more often.

I'm not very good with pc's, and I'm finding it really difficult to
foolow some of the things that have been posted.

I'm hoping that this is going to be something that I can sort through
your help.

Thank you.

John.

jmatt...@googlemail.com

Sep 16, 2007, 3:00:36 PM9/16/07
First thing I wante to mention, I am totally new to Google newsgroups,
never used them before, so I posted this once, thinking it was the end
of the thread, but discovered after I posted it, it wasnt. I am sorry
about that. When I eventually worked it out, it was post 13, half way
through the thread, so I've decided to repost, as I didnt know if it
would be noticed. I was directed here from the Microsoft newsgroups.
If my post number 13 can be deleted can somebody do that please?

[...]

follow some of the things that have been posted.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 16, 2007, 3:09:00 PM9/16/07
Well I did it-I decided to go for at, right before I was getting ready for
bed last night-I created another identity & it was really quite painless,
once I got going on it. At first, I couldn't remember how I set up the
original one since it had been over a year(on this machine), but I used what
I *did* know, along with what you have taught me in this thread & all I have
left, to do, is create some of the rules that I had before on the other
identity.

I then used OEQB to create a backup of the old identity, removed the dbx.
folders in that store, compacted all folders, restored them from the
backup, compacted again,(which I have done several times already to try &
fix it) & then copied those stores to my new identity, to make my 6 or so,
emails, current on the new one, as well as the NG posts. I followed up by
compacting the newly added folders (new identity) & started a rapid-fire
session of, simulating hours of reads in the NGs by opening post after
post, in order to try & reproduce the problem in the new identity, watching
the VM size in Process Explorer all the while. Strangely enough, the VM size
increased, ever so gradually, so I switched identities & tried the same in
the old one & got the same, gradual increase of the virtual memory, for OE.

I returned to the same exercise this afternoon, after OE had been up &
running(idle) for hours, & got the same results, but eventually, around
1,800,000+ VM size, the error reproduced itself. I was beginning to wonder
if it was ever going to happen, & it wasn't till I switched to the old
identity, did it do it. Well, it wasn't long, thereafter, after immediately
switching back, that it happened in the new identity also, but only after
the VM size had been bloated to the "danger zone", & after simulating more
reads/opens, that I could ever accomplish, even in a marathon session of NGs
readings.

I just don't get it, like I said, I had removed/restored the stores several
times with no joy,before, & now (or so it seems) it's at a tolerable level
before it runs me out & back in again.-Go figure-
I mean, it even looks as if the old identity is working at an acceptable
level so I'll keep you posted. I just can't imagine that it would be so
willing to cooperate that easily, after all that I've tried so far, but I'll
monitor it & let you know.

Thank you so much PA Bear, for all the help that you've so freely given, &
it's really great to be able to "pick the brain" of such a knowledgeable &
genuinely caring MVP such as yourself.
You guys offer a valued service & I can't tell you how much I've been able
to take with me from these NGs. My goal is that nobody I know will ever have
to take their PC into a shop, again, as long as I'm able to lend them a
hand, & I credit the knowledge that I've attained from these NGs, & a little
trial & error, for all that I've learned & am still learning. Besides, it's
such a blast & I have finally found my niche. It's just, the more I learn,
the more I realize that I don't know!

Thank you for everything,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Sep 16, 2007, 5:53:27 PM9/16/07
<jmatt...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

First, File | Work offline.
Then, Role | Folder | Compact All.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 16, 2007, 6:20:54 PM9/16/07
Well- It looks as if I may have spoken too soon-it's doing it again!
I don't get it-I couldn't make it do it when I 1st created the newer identity, & now
it gives me the same error as before.
Back to square one!

What is going on here? From the looks of similar posts that are now surfacing, others
are having the same problem now.
Mine occurs, just while in the newsgroups.

~Gary

"Gary Brandenburg" <blah,blah,blah@blah blah.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 16, 2007, 7:24:00 PM9/16/07
As the problem only seems to occur after working in one or more MS
newsgroups, I'm opening a second instance of my current identity using
MultiOE and using this instance only for newsgroups. Assuming the behavior
occurs in this instance, I'll let you know if it affects the first/original
instance of OE.
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg wrote:
> Well- It looks as if I may have spoken too soon-it's doing it again!
> I don't get it-I couldn't make it do it when I 1st created the newer
> identity, & now it gives me the same error as before.
> Back to square one!
>
> What is going on here? From the looks of similar posts that are now
> surfacing, others are having the same problem now.
> Mine occurs, just while in the newsgroups.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 16, 2007, 8:01:18 PM9/16/07
OK Please do-Haven't tried it yet, myself, think that it might be fixed.

I've been to my stores folders so many times lately, & noticed something that I
wanted to ask you.
When I go to c:/Documents and Settings/Gary/Application Data/Identities I have the
{GUID} of the 2 identities but they are empty.
When I go to c:/Documents and Settings/Gary/Local Settings/Application
Data/Identities I see the same {GUID}s but they aren't empty.

Should the identities be listed in the 2 places, & if so, should the same data be in
them also?
On a whim I decided to *copy to* the empty ones from the ones in local settings, with
no ill effects(so far), but was wondering what , the repercussions of my actions,
might entail.

One problem that I can easily see is, that when I do go into the default stores &
remove items, the ones in, just the Application Data folder, would remain intact. I
may be opening myself up to a whole new set of problems at that point, & I, most
certainly, don't need that, not to mention what the backup/restore operations might
do to it. Please advise on this. Also, I'm still finding duplicate dbx. folders in
the main identity, at times, & am deleting them as you suggested.

Thank you PA,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 17, 2007, 3:56:14 PM9/17/07
<touch wood> So far, so good with running a separate instance of OE for
newsgroups-only using MultiOE
(http://vb.mvps.org/samples/project.asp?id=MultiOE). The only snag is that
I must close the original instance of OE before compacting all OE folders at
the end of the day to avoid a "file in use" error (usually points to
Folders.dbx, so this is understandable seeing as I had a separate instance
of OE open earlier).

> Should the identities be listed in the 2 places, & if so, should the same
> data be in them also?

The location of your current identity's store is listed here: OE Tools >
Options > Maintenance > Store Folder (see
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain). The default location in
WinXP SP2 is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I'm pretty sure it's normal to find empty {GUID} subfolders in C:\Documents
and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Identities. (I've got 8 of 'em, all
pointing to identities I've used in the past though only 2 of them actually
exist now). Why, I can't tell you. If the presence of these empty folders
bothers you, there should be no harm in deleting them; Then again, remember
the First Rule of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." <wink>

To move/relocate your store, see these intructions:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#movestore

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 17, 2007, 5:37:33 PM9/17/07
Cool!! Just downloaded it myself & even put a shortcut to it in my Quick Launch
bar.(even gave it the alternate yellow icon so I could distinguish it from OE)
I just had to test it out & noticed that the VM for that instance started lower than
it does for this one. Hoping that it will give it longer "staying power", when I have
to access it.
The VM size, upon starting, this instance(the original) of OE, was around 80,000, &
after opening, but 1 post(your response), it jumped to over 400,000 ! I just don't
understand why it does that now, where it had not, till a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for clearing things up, regarding the identity locations, & I will take
your advice about just leaving it where it is.(ain't broke)
I *did* end up removing the "copy" of the stores, that I placed there-sure enough,
the contents were sized according to the size of when I placed them there, Vs the
current size of the default location stores. Was looking at work, & it's also in both
locations on that machine.(the {GUID}s,that is)

Thank you-
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 17, 2007, 7:22:19 PM9/17/07
Well, my original, mail-only instance of OE just threw the same d*** error
again after closing the second, news-only instance about 2 hours ago, so
ditch that workaround. <sigh>

This is understandable, as the same message store is being used by both
instances. [No, you cannot open a second instance in a different identity
using MultiOE.]

We've recently seen posts in OE6 newsgroup about this behavior, too.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User) since 2002

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 17, 2007, 8:40:03 PM9/17/07
Oh nooo!! (hope dashes)
There's got to be a fix for this, & I'm not going to give up on this thing, if it
takes months.(& I'm sure you won't either)

Thank you for posting back, with an update.

~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 17, 2007, 10:10:33 PM9/17/07
At this point, I don't think it'll be fixed until MS addresses those ghosts
and other issues on the newsservers...or we stop using OE to access the
newsgroups.
--
~PAÅ¢

Gary Brandenburg wrote:
> Oh nooo!! (hope dashes)
> There's got to be a fix for this, & I'm not going to give up on this
> thing,
> if it takes months.(& I'm sure you won't either)
>
> Thank you for posting back, with an update.
>
> ~Gary
>

> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, my original, mail-only instance of OE just threw the same d*** error
> again after closing the second, news-only instance about 2 hours ago, so
> ditch that workaround. <sigh>
>
> This is understandable, as the same message store is being used by both
> instances. [No, you cannot open a second instance in a different identity
> using MultiOE.]
>
> We've recently seen posts in OE6 newsgroup about this behavior, too.

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 24, 2007, 8:34:25 PM9/24/07
OK, PA Bear-
It's me again.
Although I'm still having problems as before, I've managed to use MultiOE for over an
hour, reading posts on XP General, XP Basics, & Outlook Express General (after OE had
to be closed) & it's been working like a charm.(tonight)

I have Process Explorer open, & watching the VM size, & it's not exceeding 100,000K.
As previously stated, when the VM approaches 1,860,000+, I usually get the error
contained in the subject line.

In the past, MultiOE would do the same thing as OE, after a while of perusing these
NGs, & I would have to go back to OE, & the cycle would continue, but it's not (so
far) doing that, since starting it.

I just don't get it!
Among the things that I've done:

1.Regular, offline, folder compacting.
2.Removed my old identity today (finally).
3.Removed the dbx. folders, containing past NGs that I've not subscribed to, in the
new identity.
(from the initial "Copying" from the old identity folders)

Why would the 2nd instance of OE (MultiOE) behave as it should,now, & OE has in the
past, until the problems 1st started?

At this point, I don't think it'll be fixed until MS addresses those ghosts
and other issues on the newsservers...or we stop using OE to access the
newsgroups.
--

~PAÞ

PA Bear

Sep 25, 2007, 1:19:29 PM9/25/07
Using a second instance of OE via MultiOE to access only newsgroups worked
for me, too, but after short while the behavior returned.

In fact, a few days ago I only had OE open for a short period, had NOT
opened any newsgroups, and still encountered the error. (All folders had
been compacted prior to closing OE earlier.) This (and other recent posts
in the OE newsgroups by users who don't access newsgroups at all) leads me
to believe that accessing newsgroups is a red herring and has nothing to do
with the problem.

Now I'm starting to consider the following (individually or in combination)
as possible culprits:

=> the presence of IE7 and/or a recent Cumulative Update for IE (doubtful);

=> damaged Temporary Internet Files cache/folder;

=> Virtual Memory settings; and/or

=> the inordinate amount of spam messages that keep piling up in Deleted
Items folder.

What doesn't fix it:

=> a new identity;

=> compacting all OE folders;

=> resetting newsgroups, unsubscribing/resubscribing to newsgroups, and
totally avoiding newsgroups.

This continues to be a real head-scratcher and we're seeing more and more
threads about this (but certainly nothing suggesting an "epidemic" of any
sort). I'll keep you and others posted via replies to this thread.
--
~PA Bear

> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> At this point, I don't think it'll be fixed until MS addresses those
> ghosts
> and other issues on the newsservers...or we stop using OE to access the
> newsgroups.

PA Bear

Sep 25, 2007, 2:57:06 PM9/25/07
Add to the "What doesn't fix it" list:

=> running Disk Cleanup and/or deleting TIF;

=> defragging;

=> enabling "Read all messages in plain text"; and

=> not using OE-QuoteFix.
--
~PA Bear

Robert Aldwinckle

Sep 25, 2007, 4:46:02 PM9/25/07

> This continues to be a real head-scratcher

How frequently does this happen? Any other undesirable symptoms
that go with it? E.g. a GDI Objects leak would have other performance
degradation symptoms associated with it.

You could try running ProcMon to see if there are any common accesses
occurring just before each failure... ; )

Good luck

Robert
---

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 25, 2007, 8:40:40 PM9/25/07
Thank you for getting back to me Bear.
I had the same problem when using MultiOE when I 1st started using it, so I don't
understand why it would start working better than OE, & even better than *it* did in
the past.
Like I said, it's always when the virtual memory with OE exceeds 1,860,000 , but
MultiOE never exceeded 1,000,000 last night. (haven't been on here very long yet,
tonight)
I've tried many of the things that you have, also, PA Bear, with no joy too. I'm
beginning to wonder, like Kathy from the thread that began on the 21st where she
says:

* It seems more than coincidental that many of us are just recently experiencing
the problem, after having the same PC, same memory, same
everything for years (4 in my case) without ever having the
problem before. I wonder if MS has checked its update for a bug?*

Even, today at work, while on the NGs during my lunch hour, it happened on that
machine (XP Pro) too, & that's never done it there before. I only have a few minutes
to do anything on OE, then & the combination of a couple of incoming emails &
checking the NGs real quick, & I got the same "Message Could Not Be Displayed", &
when I checked Process Explorer, sure enough, VM was over 1,860,000+ in OE.

I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this, & how does one go about reporting this bug?

Thank you for your response, Bear, & your persistence in trying to get to the bottom
of this problem. I'll surely let you know if I have any luck with this, & what steps
I took to accomplish it.

Thank You,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 25, 2007, 9:51:56 PM9/25/07
Robert-
This happens whenever the virtual memory for OE exceeds 1,860,000k+.(shown in Process
Explorer)
There's no symptoms when it's about to occur-no freezes, slowdowns, or error
messages, or performance degredation at all.
You can be clicking on posts, to read them in the preview pane, & the next click will
show the message that's in the subject line of this thread.Closing OE & reopening it,
starts it back to working right.

Using MultiOE to run a 2nd instance of OE, the VM hardly reaches 100,000k when doing
the same thing. I've also noticed in Process Explorer, that VM will gradually reduce
back to, near where it was before the increase. It's as if MultiOE VM usage, is
"reclaimed" when the program is idle for a short while. I haven't watched the
"Private Delta Bytes" in Process Explorer, to see if that is what it's doing, but
I've had MultiOE up for over a couple of hours now (after OE stopped working), & it's
not going above the 100,000k size.(knock on wood)

~Gary

"Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote in message

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 26, 2007, 6:03:24 AM9/26/07
Oops- That should read *100,000k instead of 1,000,000k.
~Gary

"Gary Brandenburg" <Gary@ whatever.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 26, 2007, 10:16:42 AM9/26/07

This machine had been shutdown all night. After opening OE this morning and
polling for new messages, I started reading (Preview pane). I got two (2)
"Out of memory/Low disk space" errors in 10 minutes, after reading perhaps a
dozen messages (none of them bigger than ~20KB).

Not seeing any other undesirable behavior at all. If GDI leaking was
causing the problem, I should think that installing 319740 two weeks ago
would have addressed it. (It didn't. Gary installed it, too.)

I've run ProcMon several times and haven't seen anything unusual or similar
prior to each event.
--
~Robear

PA Bear

Sep 26, 2007, 10:35:54 AM9/26/07
Gary Brandenburg wrote:
<snip>

> Using MultiOE to run a 2nd instance of OE, the VM hardly reaches 100,000k
> when doing the same thing. I've also noticed in Process Explorer, that VM
> will gradually reduce back to, near where it was before the increase. It's
> as if MultiOE VM usage, is "reclaimed" when the program is idle for a
> short
> while. I haven't watched the "Private Delta Bytes" in Process Explorer, to
> see if that is what it's doing, but I've had MultiOE up for over a couple
> of hours now (after OE stopped working), & it's not going above the
> 100,000k size.(knock on wood)

MultiOE isn't really VM, Gary. And remember that MultiOE uses the same
identity/message store as the instance of OE you had open when it was
started: Having both open then closing OE and continuing to use the MultiOE
instance is basically the equivalent of closing/reopening OE.

<paste>
> [quoting Kathy] I wonder if MS has checked its update for a bug?

> [quoting Gary] I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this, & how does one go
> about
> reporting this bug?
</paste>

The last OE update (929123) was released in Jun-07. If it contained a bug
responsible for this behavior, we would have expected the behavior to
surface soon after its release, not three (3) months later (i.e., from the
first week of Sept-07 on).

I've considered contacting the OE team about this but I'm not sure how much,
if any, attention it'd get since this behavior doesn't appear to be an
"epidemic." (If it were, we'd expect more than a few posts to the OE
newsgroups about it.) And for all intents and purposes, the team's efforts
are now being focused solely on Windows Live Mail (and, to a lesser extent,
Windows Mail in Vista). From the feedback we've gotten from the team in the
past year, we shouldn't expect any more development or work on OE, save for
security issues.
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 26, 2007, 7:29:57 PM9/26/07
Trying to reply to the one that PA Bear sent yesterday :

<paste>
Thank you for getting back to me PA Bear.
The VM that I'm referring to is in the column "Virtual Size" in Process Explorer & it
just happened to catch my eye 1 day because OE was showing to be much higher than any
other running process.
I have no idea what it means, & was merely attempting to analyze any anomalies that
were present when the error occurs.(or about to occur)

I guess I can now see why Microsoft wouldn't be rushing to fix this bug, now that
you've explained it to me.
What do you do?
Remove the update?
But then, as you've pointed out, why would the bug just now be surfacing?
Are we all at an impasse, unless we transfer to Windows Live Mail?

Thank you,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<paste>

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

At this point, I don't think it'll be fixed until MS addresses those ghosts
and other issues on the newsservers...or we stop using OE to access the
newsgroups.
--

~PAÅž

PA Bear

Sep 26, 2007, 8:12:24 PM9/26/07
I very much doubt uninstalling the most recent OE update will address the
problem, Gary. If you wanna give it a shot, it's listed as "Security Update
for Windows XP (KB929123" in Add/Remove Programs. OE should be closed prior
to uninstalling it.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Gary Brandenburg wrote:
> Trying to reply to the one that PA Bear sent yesterday :
>
> <paste>
> Thank you for getting back to me PA Bear.
> The VM that I'm referring to is in the column "Virtual Size" in Process
> Explorer & it just happened to catch my eye 1 day because OE was showing
> be much higher than any other running process.
> I have no idea what it means, & was merely attempting to analyze any
> anomalies that were present when the error occurs.(or about to occur)
>
> I guess I can now see why Microsoft wouldn't be rushing to fix this bug,
> now that you've explained it to me.
> What do you do?
> Remove the update?
> But then, as you've pointed out, why would the bug just now be surfacing?
> Are we all at an impasse, unless we transfer to Windows Live Mail?

<snip>

Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/1580bf939a915741/40f01c4001952333#40f01c4001952333

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 26, 2007, 8:32:49 PM9/26/07
Thanks Bear-
I'll have to grab the uninstaller from my PC at work, as I've removed my hotfix
uninstallers a while back.
In my efforts to "shrink" a backup image of my HDD to my 6 gig Passport usb HDD, I
had to scrounge around for any space that I could.
I'm seriously considering giving that a try though.
(Also, thanks for shrinking this addition to the ongoing thread)

Thank you,
~Gary

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Robert Aldwinckle

Sep 27, 2007, 2:18:04 AM9/27/07

> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
>> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This continues to be a real head-scratcher
>>
>> How frequently does this happen? Any other undesirable symptoms
>> that go with it? E.g. a GDI Objects leak would have other performance
>> degradation symptoms associated with it.
>>
>> You could try running ProcMon to see if there are any common accesses
>> occurring just before each failure...
>
> This machine had been shutdown all night.

> After opening OE this morning and polling for new messages,

Does that mean downloading headers only? Have you considered
using a Synchronize command (before opening the newsgroup).

BTW I still use Synchronize All rather than either of the others.
I thought it was only for the convenience of doing Ctrl-Shift-M
but I've been testing WLM (Beta) and using Synchronize Newsgroup
instead on it and noticing that the "loose Catch-Up feechur" is still there!
Now I'm wondering whether the Watched fixes in OE really were complete
enough or whether they were regressed by the code that WLM inherited.
So, if you use Watched Conversation at all and you want to use something
other than Synchronize All be on your guard for missing messages
(especially missing opening posts, since they don't have a References: header.)

> I started reading (Preview pane). I got two (2)
> "Out of memory/Low disk space" errors in 10 minutes, after reading perhaps a
> dozen messages (none of them bigger than ~20KB).

If you are downloading bodies and reading at the same time
take note of which phase of that two stage operation the error
is occurring in. Also, if your news server is being polled automatically
(e.g. if "Include this account when checking for new messages" is checked)
I think that that could introduce some unusual concurrency problems,
which your symptom could be an example of (especially if you are
downloading bodies on demand.)

Hmm... I just realized that in case the symptom cause is just a protocol
problem (e.g. one server out of synch which doesn't have a body for the
header you got from another server) that using a synchronize command
could help for that case too. I'm not really clear on the symptom details
and was assuming it was a message indicating an internal error. I think there
is a more explicit message for a problem exposed by the protocol but
your message could mean that OE is throwing up its hands for just about
any unexpected condition, including unusual protocol event, I suspect.

> Not seeing any other undesirable behavior at all. If GDI leaking was
> causing the problem, I should think that installing 319740 two weeks ago
> would have addressed it. (It didn't. Gary installed it, too.)
>
> I've run ProcMon several times and haven't seen anything unusual or similar
> prior to each event.

I was thinking in terms of the context of writes to .dbx files in particular...

Just thought of another possibility. Are you using an MP? (I don't know
if these new Duo Core things get treated as separate processors or not
or even how much MP's affect an application's processing but I think there
could be two possible ways of testing the hypothesis that OE could be affected
by concurrency on an MP: numproc= (in boot.ini)

Ah. Here's an example of what I'm getting at:

<title>A MIDI capture program does not work correctly on a Windows XP-based computer
that has a dual-core or hyper-threading processor</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919484

(Live Search for
numproc boot xp site:support.microsoft.com
)

<quote>
To work around this problem, configure the dual-core or hyper-threading
processor to use only one processor.
</quote>

and a mild understatement about this test's consequences: <lol>

<quote>
This workaround may affect the computer's performance.
You may want to use this switch only when you are using the MIDI capture program.
In this situation, delete the switch when you are not using the MIDI capture program.
</quote>

The other mechanism I was thinking of is called processor affinity.
I thought it might be possible to implement it for any arbitrary misbehaving
application but it looks as if it is only available in major server products
such as IIS. Too bad.

One more. In case the symptom is due to memory corruption
you could try to modify the symptom (e.g. get a better dump)
by applying some diagnostics in that area. Look for example,
at the the gflags utility, which comes with the XP Pro Support Tools
package.

Good luck

Robert
---

PA Bear

Sep 27, 2007, 12:43:30 PM9/27/07
[Replying to Robert Aldwinckle via reply to Gary's post as I encountered the
"bad headers" error when trying to send my original reply.]

Newsgroups appears to be a red herring here, Robert. We're seeing this
behavior without accessing any newsgroups whatsoever during the current
instance of OE. [Though I'll grant you that I see the behavior most often
when or after working in newsgroups. It happened after I put this reply in
Outbox but before it was sent.]

No dual-core or hyperthreading here.

WinXP SP2 Support Tools might be worth a shot.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
--
~Robear

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
>>> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

lol.gif

Gary Brandenburg

Sep 27, 2007, 5:47:40 PM9/27/07
OK- I got the uninstaller & removed the update, but, as you guessed-it didn't make
any difference. Still see the outragous virtual memory size build, & then the error
message as before.
I figured that it was worth a try, but you were right Bear, about the "very much
doubt" when it comes to the chances that it would help.

~Gary

"Gary Brandenburg" <Gary@ whatever.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Sep 27, 2007, 6:01:10 PM9/27/07
Well, put another one in the "Doesn't fix it" list. <shrug>

Gary Brandenburg wrote:
> OK- I got the uninstaller & removed the update, but, as you guessed-it
> didn't make any difference. Still see the outragous virtual memory size
> build, & then the error message as before.
> I figured that it was worth a try, but you were right Bear, about the
> "very
> much doubt" when it comes to the chances that it would help.
>

> "Gary Brandenburg" <Gary@ whatever.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Bear-
> I'll have to grab the uninstaller from my PC at work, as I've removed my
> hotfix uninstallers a while back.
> In my efforts to "shrink" a backup image of my HDD to my 6 gig Passport
> usb
> HDD, I had to scrounge around for any space that I could.
> I'm seriously considering giving that a try though.
> (Also, thanks for shrinking this addition to the ongoing thread)
>

> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I very much doubt uninstalling the most recent OE update will address the
> problem, Gary. If you wanna give it a shot, it's listed as "Security
> Update
> for Windows XP (KB929123" in Add/Remove Programs. OE should be closed
> prior
> to uninstalling it.

Kelliann

Sep 30, 2007, 5:57:07 PM9/30/07
This is my first time posting here. I am getting the same out of
memory message for OE 6, sp 2, Windows XP Home, HP Pavilion laptop, 1
GB memory, 100GB Seagate drive.

At first, for an affected folder, the counter for "unread" messages
would drop way down and then when I'd open the folder I could not see
any messages.

After taking a number of steps described below the situation has
changed a bit. Now the number of unread messages will not change, but,
I will go to open a message, get the low memory message, and when I
close the message the folder has nothing in it. If I then click from
folder to folder, some will display messages while others won't.

In both cases, then and now, closing and reopening OE solves the
problem. However, before I took all the steps I tried, things
eventually got to the point where closing and reopening OE did *not*
work. No messages would appear in any folder when I reopened it. at
that point, I put all the dbx files on a separate drive for
safekeeping.

It started right after I had rebooted and AOL instant messenger
started up, along iwth the news ticker. I went to read a news story
and the IE page froze. Right after that, OE stopped displaying
messages in folders even though the dbx files were there and their
size indicated all the messages were inside them. Closing and
reopening OE solved the problem as long as all open mail messages and
replies are closed before OE is reopened.

My OE is used only for email, never been used for newsgroups, and is
er... *huge* with around 170 folders, and total size of 5.78GB at that
time. It is now 4.75GB. When all this started, my 100GB hard disk was
down to about 18 GB free space. It now has 50GB free space because I
moved a lot of non-OE files off to an external drive.

I have not patched OE or Windows in at least a year so new patches are
not the problem.

The day the problem started I put all the dbx files on the external
drive. When I restored OE, I did not restore ALL of the dbx files, I
left some on the external drive for safekeeping. This, plus deleting
files, is how I got rid of around 1GB of stuff.

I have since then compacted the folders, have an average of 10 msgs in
the Inbox, many have 50 to 200 msgs, and a few folders have around
3,000 to 5,000 msgs. And a very few have 9,000 but no dbx files are
bigger than 450 MB, and all but about 3 are well under 100 MB. (The
ones with the very large number of messages are all plain text
messages).

I also defragged the hard disk.

At this point, I went to the Microsoft website looking for answers,
used the Live Care tool to check for malware (there was none) and get
rid of some old registry entries. I found a message board there which
referred to this google group, so I came here.

I have no idea if any of this stuff I've said helps rule out any
possibilities for you guys who are working on this problem but,
thought I'd take the time to post it all just in case it's useful.

I was considering trying another identity but after reading this
thread I see there's no point. My next step seems to be reinstalling
OE, but what bothers me about thatis I don't know how to reinstall its
service pack 2. If someone could just tell me that, I'd reinstall, (if
I can find its installer).

I have all the dbx files, iaf files, wab, and registry keys saved for
accounts, rules, stationery, and whatever, so guess it won't be as big
a pain as it could be. I also don't know if the program will ever work
again, like, maybe I have to just ditch the computer. :-( This is
my 3rd hard drive in it since I got it. The other 2 croaked in the
first 14 months I had it. I use OE for my work too, and store all my
internet research in it. :-(

Kelliann

On Sep 26, 8:12 pm, "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I very much doubt uninstalling the most recent OE update will address the
> problem, Gary. If you wanna give it a shot, it's listed as "Security Update
> for Windows XP (KB929123" in Add/Remove Programs. OE should be closed prior

> to uninstallin it.

PA Bear

Sep 30, 2007, 8:19:00 PM9/30/07
Thanks for your post. To avoid confusion, it'd be best if you started your
own new thread here about your issues, Kelliann, even though they may appear
to be the same as Gary's.

> My OE is used only for email, never been used for newsgroups, and is
> er... *huge* with around 170 folders, and total size of 5.78GB at that
> time. It is now 4.75GB.

Most users encounter problems when their message store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain) begins to approach 2GB!
It's time for you to do some housekeeping and move the bulk of your archives
out of your current identity (to, e.g., CD/DVD or another identity) such
that your message store is smaller than 1GB (preferably MUCH smaller).

Then compact all OE folders again and follow these caveats to avoid
problems:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working

offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

NB: Doing the above still may not resolve the "Low disk space/Out of memory"
errors.
--
~PA Bear

<snip>

digiti

Oct 10, 2007, 8:49:32 AM10/10/07
On Sep 30, 8:19 pm, "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your post. To avoid confusion, it'd be best if you started your
> own new thread here about your issues, Kelliann, even though they may appear
> to be the same as Gary's.
>
> > My OE is used only for email, never been used for newsgroups, and is
> > er... *huge* with around 170 folders, and total size of 5.78GB at that
> > time. It is now 4.75GB.
>
> Most users encounter problems when their message store
> (http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain) begins to approach 2GB!
> It's time for you to do some housekeeping and move the bulk of your archives
> out of your current identity (to, e.g., CD/DVD or another identity) such
> that your message store is smaller than 1GB (preferably MUCH smaller).
>
> Then compact all OE folders again and follow these caveats to avoid
> problems:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline". More athttp://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
> <snip>- Hide quoted text -

Has anyone come up with a surefire fix for this problem yet? I have
followed most of the suggestions here including shutting off email
scanning in NIS 2007, manually compacting off line, moving messages
from inbox to other folders manually emptying the "deleted" folder
etc. The problem is intermittent. Another concomitant problem that may
or may not be related also started last week. My emails would
disappear! .I resolved this by doing the actions I mentioned earlier.
Also I try not to bloat the Inbox or use it for archiving emails.
Thanks for any imput you can provide.

PA Bear

Oct 11, 2007, 12:17:04 AM10/11/07
digiti wrote:
<snip>

> Has anyone come up with a surefire fix for this problem yet? I have
> followed most of the suggestions here including shutting off email
> scanning in NIS 2007, manually compacting off line, moving messages
> from inbox to other folders manually emptying the "deleted" folder
> etc. The problem is intermittent. Another concomitant problem that may
> or may not be related also started last week. My emails would
> disappear! .I resolved this by doing the actions I mentioned earlier.
> Also I try not to bloat the Inbox or use it for archiving emails.
> Thanks for any imput you can provide.

No fixes yet (assuming you, too, are getting "Out of memory/Low disk space"
errors, you've tried *everything* mentioned so far in this thread, including
closing OE and deleting Outbox.dbx, AND closing/reopening OE fixes the
problem temporarily).

New fellow-sufferers keep popping up all the time:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/2ebb8f4e1cbb873e/112554cf03bd8e9b?hl=en#112554cf03bd8e9b

If and when we find a fix, I'll post a reply to this thread and all other
related threads in every newsgroup where this problem has been encountered.

NB: The OE update released on 09 Oct-07 does NOT fix the problem and was
released to fix an unrelated security vulnerability.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Robert Aldwinckle

Oct 11, 2007, 7:26:04 PM10/11/07

> [Replying to Robert Aldwinckle via reply to Gary's post as I encountered the
> "bad headers" error when trying to send my original reply.]
>
> Newsgroups appears to be a red herring here, Robert. We're seeing this
> behavior without accessing any newsgroups whatsoever during the current
> instance of OE. [Though I'll grant you that I see the behavior most often
> when or after working in newsgroups. It happened after I put this reply in
> Outbox but before it was sent.]
>
> No dual-core or hyperthreading here.
>
> WinXP SP2 Support Tools might be worth a shot.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38
>
> Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I've just noticed that the word profile has not appeared in this discussion yet.
Have you tried cloning your user profile? (E.g. hypothesising a corruption
in your ntuser.dat?)

<title>How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/

BTW I've never actually had to do this. I'm only suggesting it since the
diagnostics ideas don't seem to be getting anywhere new.

Good luck

Robert
---

PA Bear

Oct 11, 2007, 7:42:08 PM10/11/07
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [Replying to Robert Aldwinckle via reply to Gary's post as I encountered
>> the "bad headers" error when trying to send my original reply.]
>>
>> Newsgroups appears to be a red herring here, Robert. We're seeing this
>> behavior without accessing any newsgroups whatsoever during the current
>> instance of OE. [Though I'll grant you that I see the behavior most
>> often
>> when or after working in newsgroups. It happened after I put this reply
>> in
>> Outbox but before it was sent.]
>>
>> No dual-core or hyperthreading here.
>>
>> WinXP SP2 Support Tools might be worth a shot.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts on this.
>
> I've just noticed that the word profile has not appeared in this
> discussion yet. Have you tried cloning your user profile? (E.g.
> hypothesising a corruption in your ntuser.dat?)

I had the same thought earlier and that's one thing I've not tried yet,
Robert. I'm in the midst of composing an email about this to Freudi in
which I mention this. I'll CC you when I send it.
--
~Robear

maev...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2007, 1:51:10 AM10/14/07
On Oct 11, 12:17 am, "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> digiti wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Has anyone come up with a surefire fix for this problem yet? I have
> > followed most of the suggestions here including shutting off email
> > scanning in NIS 2007, manually compacting off line, moving messages
> > from inbox to other folders manually emptying the "deleted" folder
> > etc. The problem is intermittent. Another concomitant problem that may
> > or may not be related also started last week. My emails would
> > disappear! .I resolved this by doing the actions I mentioned earlier.
> > Also I try not to bloat the Inbox or use it for archiving emails.
> > Thanks for any imput you can provide.
>
> No fixes yet (assuming you, too, are getting "Out of memory/Low disk space"
> errors, you've tried *everything* mentioned so far in this thread, including
> closing OE and deleting Outbox.dbx, AND closing/reopening OE fixes the
> problem temporarily).
>
> New fellow-sufferers keep popping up all the time:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_...

> If and when we find a fix, I'll post a reply to this thread and all other
> related threads in every newsgroup where this problem has been encountered.
>
> NB: The OE update released on 09 Oct-07 does NOT fix the problem and was
> released to fix an unrelated security vulnerability.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.org/

I am one more user of OE who is having this problem. It started about
a month ago and was able to be fixed by shutting it off and turning it
on again. As time goes on, I need to leave it shut off for longer and
longer periods of time. Will Outlook Express people via Microsoft
help us with this?
Maeve

The Tutor

Oct 16, 2007, 3:54:38 AM10/16/07
I've been lurking and following this thread for the last two weeks
in hopes of an answer as this has been a problem for me for the
last three or four weeks. I've followed all the advice and have found
that, in my case at least, lack of house cleaning seems to have been
a major factor. The following steps have stopped the "Message could
not be displayed" and having to restart behavior:

1. Deleting the Deleted Items dbx folder and letting OE rebuild it.
2. Emptying my Inbox (which I had let grow to an archival size)
3. Emptying and saving to another folder all my Sent items (also a huge
amount of material)
4. Making sure Outbox and Drafts folders were empty.

In short, as was suggested by one of the MVP's, cleaning out all the
default folders. Not a single instance of trouble in the last three days
whereas previously, a freezeup and restart was required after about
six or seven messages.
Many thanks to the MVP's who contributed to resolving this problem,
at least in my case. I was only a few keystrokes away from trying to
reinstall Internet Explorer. (I still think it odd that this problem cropped up
in so many instances in such a narrow time frame. I too was beginning to
believe that it might be an update problem.)
Again, many thanks to the MVP's!

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OO59Ey5$HHA....@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

PA Bear

Oct 16, 2007, 2:14:29 PM10/16/07
Good luck. Others suffering from this specific bug have found that those
steps usually only address the problem temporarily.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

PA Bear, MS MVP

Oct 17, 2007, 10:01:54 PM10/17/07

Maeve, please see my previous reply:

> > If and when we find a fix, I'll post a reply to this thread and all other
> > related threads in every newsgroup where this problem has been encountered.

PA Bear, MS MVP

Oct 17, 2007, 10:19:12 PM10/17/07
On Oct 14, 1:51 am, maeve1...@gmail.com wrote:

Maeve, please see my previous reply:

> > If and when we find a fix, I'll post a reply to this thread and all other

> > related threads in every newsgroup where this problem has been encountered.

PA Bear, MS MVP

Oct 18, 2007, 6:25:10 AM10/18/07
Haven't forgotten about you, Gary (or anyone else who's posted in this
thread).

I've one fellow sufferer who tried a new identity in a new User
Profile and the behavior persists. See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=29224

On Sep 11, 9:11 pm, "Gary Brandenburg" <blah,blah,blah@blah blah.com>
wrote:

> | Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
> | message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
> again.
>

> Sorry-Was going to wait to send this (send later) but it disappeared from my
> Outbox.
> Anyway,this is what I see after I've been perusing the newsgroups a while.
> This just started occurring the last week or so & whenever it's about to
> happen,the virtual memory for Outlook Express,according to Process
> Explorer,is approaching 2,000,000k.
> I removed some old entries that I had been saving in Drafts & compact all
> folders regularly,but still no joy.
> I know it can't be lack of memory since I have a gig of physical ram on this
> machine(XP Home).
> I'm not sure,but I think it started around the time I updated MSN Messenger
> to 8.5 & it asked during installation if I wanted it to handle my default
> email ,which I thought it meant Hotmail. While installing,the download
> proceeded to remove the OE icon from my desktop & replaced it with 1 for
> Windows Mail. I interrupted the install when the setup wizard for mail
> started & when I did,the OE icon reappeared,along with an error message
> about the interruption of the setup.
> I used to be able to spend hours on the newsgroups,with no problems & now I
> have to close OE & reopen it to be able to continue,till I approach the
> 2,000,000k mark.
> Please help me with this as I have learned so much from these newsgroups (XP
> General,mostly) but am quite new here in the OE group,& have not found
> anything that relates to my dilemma.
> ~Gary

mlem...@bellsouth.net

Oct 18, 2007, 1:01:31 PM10/18/07
I'm another, but I'm more interested in what is being done to find the
problem. Note that I said "find the problem", and not find a fix. It
seems most people are trying all sorts of things to work around the
problem instead of identifying it. I find it disappointing that MS is
not doing more to find and correct the problem than just point to
McAfee or others as the problem. OE customers are the ones
experiencing the problem regardless of who is responsible. That should
obligate MS to resolve it on behalf of their customers.

I also have some thoughts I wish to share. Perhaps PA Bear will give
this consideration and take it to wherever needed. I have tried to
remember all things that happened at or around the same time, and for
me that was September 14th-ish. One thing that keeps bothering me is
a network change that I think happened at that time. Bell South had
been acquired by AT&T (SBC) earlier and I believe their network
somehow merged with the AT&T network at or around the trouble date.
Whether coincidence or not, it is something that shouldn't be
overlooked. I read that the problem exists for people other than
McAfee users, but how about network ? I am most suspicious because a
digest that is mailed to me daily started to appear differently. This
digest is a compilation of email messages and sometimes is lengthy. On
the 14th of September I received it with a message attached as
follows:

"This message has been processed by Symantec's AntiVirus Technology.

Unknown00000000.data was not scanned for viruses because too many
nested levels of files were found."

The actual digest issue comes as an attachment. I had never received
this message before no matter how large the email was. I believe this
was introduced with the AT&T network introduction. If McAfee can be
blamed for corrupting messages, can Symantec also be doing it from the
network ?
Are the affected OE users all served by a common network - or a
network that employs Symantec ? I've seen crazier things happen. I
also used to be an AT&T employee - an experience which just adds to my
suspicion.

What say you, PA Bear ?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Oct 18, 2007, 7:27:15 PM10/18/07
What makes you think Microsoft isn't trying to find the problem?
And I haven't seen Microsoft blaming McAfee or anyone else.

<mlem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

PA Bear

Oct 18, 2007, 8:15:59 PM10/18/07
I say that we suffers (I'm still experiencing the behavior here) have none
of the following in common: ISP; method of connecting (i.e., dial-up; DSL;
cable; satellite); installed anti-virus/anti-spyware application; using OE
as newsreader; and computer make/model/type.

What do do seem to have in common includes running WinXP SP2, fully-patched
at all times, and heeding my oft-posted OE Caveats.

What does not fix it includes: a new identity; a new identity in a new User
Profile; compacting all OE folders daily; deleting/replacing any/all default
DBX files (with OE closed); uninstalling/reinstalling any recent IE and/or
OE updates; running thorough checks for viruses, Trojans, hijackware; using
or not using OE-QuoteFix; installing KB319740; ...

Again, if and when I hear of any MS fixes or a fix found by someone else,
I'll post about it in a reply to this and similar threads.

In the meantime, if you get an "OE hang and must close" error, *accept* the
ensuing prompt to "Tell Microsoft about the problem" and approve the sending
of the debug data. MS and the OE team will not pay any attention to the
problem unless you do so.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Gary Brandenburg

Oct 18, 2007, 10:13:15 PM10/18/07
I figured as much, Robear- I've been watching this thread, as well as the new ones
that have cropped up, with the same problem.
I hate to say it, but I've come to an impasse, or so it seems, & don't know which
approach to take with this, any more.That's why I haven't contributed anything in a
while, to this thread. I've tried everything that has been suggested, with no
positive results, & I still end up closing/restarting OE, in order to continue.
It's just hard to believe that, before the 1st week of Sept,. I could spend hours
perusing these NGs with no problems at all, & now it's sort of, "hit or miss" as to
how long I can do that, until I have to go through the close/restart routine again.
I'll keep watching these threads, as well as the new ones that appear, & hope that,
some day there will be a resolution to this inconvenience.
BTW- The thread that you referred me(& others) to, is quite extensive, as well as
informative, & I'll definitely keep an eye on it as well.
It seems that Carol is quite knowledgeable, with the steps taken to resolve this
issue, & is not afraid to dig deeper into getting some sort of resolution concerning
this. I wish that she had joined in to my thread, so we could bounce ideas off to
each other, & subsequently to you. I feel that we now have another in our arsenal in
our efforts to get this behind us.

Also, I had not thought of enabling the "Error Reporting" feature before, till I read
your post in this thread that you sent @ 8:15 tonight. I disabled that a while back
but I am willing to send them all day & night, if you think that it may help to get
someone's attention at MS, concerning this problem.
Thank you PA Bear, for touching base with me(us),
~Gary

"PA Bear, MS MVP" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Oct 18, 2007, 11:01:16 PM10/18/07
Feel free to post a reply in Carol's thread:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=29224 (She's been watching yours here!)

When I referred to "Send the error report", I was NOT referring to OE
Troubleshooting logs (OE Tools > Options > Maintenance > Troubleshooting)
but to the prompt you usually get when OE stops responding and an Error
Message appears.

And keep in mind that while you and I are most often encountering the
problem while working in newsgroups or shortly after having done so, other
users who don't use the newsreader function are also seeing it.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Anju Basu

Oct 18, 2007, 11:33:09 PM10/18/07
On Oct 18, 11:01 pm, "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Feel free to post a reply in Carol's thread:http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=29224(She's been watching yours here!)

> When I referred to "Send the error report", I was NOT referring to OE
> Troubleshooting logs (OE Tools > Options > Maintenance > Troubleshooting)
> but to the prompt you usually get when OE stops responding and an Error
> Message appears.
>
> And keep in mind that while you and I are most often encountering the
> problem while working in newsgroups or shortly after having done so, other
> users who don't use the newsreader function are also seeing it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.org/
> > "PA Bear, MS MVP" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> ~Gary- Hide quoted text -

alos suffering from the same oe problem. don't access newsgroups or
anything else, but do surf the internet when i need to. usually oe is
the only app up and running on my computer. used to be able to leave
it up permamently (for days on end without rebooting) and scroll
backwards and forwards between all the messages on it if I needed
to.

not any more. after a few messages have been received, or i have
looked at a few, i get the same error message (low memory etc.) and
need to close and reopen oe. very, very frustrating and none of the
solutions above have worked. this only started happening very
recently, and i have been a devoted oe user for YEARS, and nothing
else has changed on my machine ... so, i am convinced it has to do
with a recent update.

if anyone from microsoft is listening ... please address this problem
ASAP!!!

many thanks

PA Bear

Oct 19, 2007, 12:00:00 AM10/19/07
Anju Basu wrote:
> alos suffering from the same oe problem. don't access newsgroups or
> anything else, but do surf the internet when i need to. usually oe is
> the only app up and running on my computer. used to be able to leave
> it up permamently (for days on end without rebooting) and scroll
> backwards and forwards between all the messages on it if I needed
> to.
>
> not any more. after a few messages have been received, or i have
> looked at a few, i get the same error message (low memory etc.) and
> need to close and reopen oe. very, very frustrating and none of the
> solutions above have worked. this only started happening very
> recently, and i have been a devoted oe user for YEARS, and nothing
> else has changed on my machine ... so, i am convinced it has to do
> with a recent update.
>
> if anyone from microsoft is listening ... please address this problem
> ASAP!!!
>
> many thanks

Welcome to the circus, Anju. We've discussed many possible fixes for the
"Out of memory/Low disk space" error in this thread. Please try each of
them to be sure your problem is the same as ours.
======================
General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such

corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

========================

First see if adhering to the above caveats and compacting all OE folders
helps your problem. If no joy, a damaged default OE files may be at work:

1. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders and into other folders you've created for archiving (saving)
such messages.

2. Write down the location of your identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Oct 19, 2007, 10:37:24 AM10/19/07
"Anju Basu" <anju...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Email scanning should be turned off in any anti-virus. Also exclude EML
files from the scan. It provides no
protection not provided by the regular resident protection.
Besides that, McAfee and Norton are not compatible with Windows Mail and
Outlook Express and should be uninstalled.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Anju Basu

Oct 19, 2007, 9:39:02 PM10/19/07
> perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More athttp://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
> close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
> is taking place.
>
> - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
> ========================
>
> First see if adhering to the above caveats and compacting all OE folders
> helps your problem. If no joy, a damaged default OE files may be at work:
>
> 1. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
> Items folders and into other folders you've created for archiving (saving)
> such messages.
>
> 2. Write down the location of your identity's store
> (http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).
>
> 3. Close OE.
>
> 4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
> files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.org/- Hide quoted text -

ok. have done all of the steps mentioned above. never had more than
a few (max ten) messages in 'inbox' or 'sent items' at any point in
time (but have gotten rid of them altogether, now) and am used to
emptying 'deleted items' several times a day. have a whole tree of
archival folders under 'local folders', which is where i keep all my
messages. have also deleted several folders that were fairly large,
just in case.

have compacted as suggested and also deleted the standard folders as
suggested. have also turned off email scanning on mcafee, but must
admit i am not certain that this is a great idea.

if this is not necessary, then why did i buy that product? and which
'resident process' (as suggested by frank saunders) is providing anti-
virus protection?

in any event, it is too early to say if the problem has been resolved
or not ... so far so good, but will keep you posted.

MANY thanks for your response and suggestions.

anju

PA Bear

Oct 20, 2007, 11:15:43 AM10/20/07
Anju Basu wrote:
> On Oct 19, 12:00 am, "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anju Basu wrote:
>>> alos suffering from the same oe problem. don't access newsgroups or
>>> anything else, but do surf the internet when i need to. usually oe is
>>> the only app up and running on my computer. used to be able to leave
>>> it up permamently (for days on end without rebooting) and scroll
>>> backwards and forwards between all the messages on it if I needed
>>> to.
>>
>>> not any more. after a few messages have been received, or i have
>>> looked at a few, i get the same error message (low memory etc.) and
>>> need to close and reopen oe. very, very frustrating and none of the
>>> solutions above have worked. this only started happening very
>>> recently, and i have been a devoted oe user for YEARS, and nothing
>>> else has changed on my machine ... so, i am convinced it has to do
>>> with a recent update.
>>
>>> if anyone from microsoft is listening ... please address this problem
>>> ASAP!!!
>>
>> Welcome to the circus, Anju. We've discussed many possible fixes for the
>> "Out of memory/Low disk space" error in this thread. Please try each of
>> them to be sure your problem is the same as ours.
>> ======================
>> General OE Caveats:
>>
>> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
>> folders created for this purpose.
>>
>> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>>
>> - Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
>> perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More
>> athttp://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>>
>> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt
>> close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic
>> Compacting
>> is taking place.
>>
>> - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
>> such
>> corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
>> ========================
>>
>> First see if adhering to the above caveats and compacting all OE folders
>> helps your problem. If no joy, a damaged default OE files may be at
>> work:
<snip>

> ok. have done all of the steps mentioned above. never had more than
> a few (max ten) messages in 'inbox' or 'sent items' at any point in
> time (but have gotten rid of them altogether, now) and am used to
> emptying 'deleted items' several times a day. have a whole tree of
> archival folders under 'local folders', which is where i keep all my
> messages. have also deleted several folders that were fairly large,
> just in case.
>
> have compacted as suggested and also deleted the standard folders as
> suggested. have also turned off email scanning on mcafee, but must
> admit i am not certain that this is a great idea.
>
> if this is not necessary, then why did i buy that product? and which
> 'resident process' (as suggested by frank saunders) is providing anti-
> virus protection?
>
> in any event, it is too early to say if the problem has been resolved
> or not ... so far so good, but will keep you posted.

What is the current size of your message store folder, Anju
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain)? Do you use the
newsreader function of OE?
--
~PA Bear

Anju Basu

Oct 20, 2007, 2:06:21 PM10/20/07
On Oct 20, 11:15 am, "PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anju Basu wrote:

> >> Welcome to the circus, Anju. We've discussed many possible fixes for the
> >> "Out ofmemory/Lowdisk space" error in this thread. Please try each of
> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

138MB :)

and DON'T tell me to make it any smaller ... I already have and could
reduce it even further if I have to ... but that has been the beauty
of OE for me in the past ... it is like a one-stop archival filing
cabinet for me, with my entire (magpie) life in it!

haven't had any problems today, but haven't really spent too much time
on it. so will have to monitor for a few days and see. would be nice
if it turns out that my problem has also been one of 'bad house-
keeping' as 'the tutor' mentioned earlier in this thread.

don't use the newsreader function of OE at all. found this group/
message thread by surfing on the net for the specific error i was
encountering.

anju

PA Bear

Oct 20, 2007, 2:53:05 PM10/20/07
> 138MB
<snip>

Then we can rule out the size of your message store being the cause of the
problem.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear, MS MVP

Oct 21, 2007, 3:05:23 PM10/21/07
ATTN anyone who's monitoring this thread or seeing the same behavior:
If you're running Windows Defender, please reply to this post and tell
me so. Thanks.

[x-post to OE6; posted via Google Groups]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

On Sep 11, 9:11 pm, "Gary Brandenburg" <blah,blah,blah@blah blah.com>

PA Bear

Oct 21, 2007, 3:37:34 PM10/21/07
PS: This is /just/ a question, not a suggestion that Defender has anything
to do with the behavior. IOW, do NOT disable Defender.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear, MS MVP wrote:
> ATTN anyone who's monitoring this thread or seeing the same behavior:
> If you're running Windows Defender, please reply to this post and tell
> me so. Thanks.

Larry

Oct 21, 2007, 4:06:47 PM10/21/07
Because you asked, I experience this behavior and am running Windows
Defender.
Larry

"PA Bear, MS MVP" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anju Basu

Oct 21, 2007, 4:39:12 PM10/21/07
> >> (http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain)?Do you use the

> >> newsreader function of OE?
> >> --
> > 138MB
>
> <snip>
>
> Then we can rule out the size of your message store being the cause of the
> problem.
> --
> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

ok, problem manifested itself again this morning ... as i was reading
a few messages sent to me and then moving them to different folders to
archive them. so the housekeeping has not made a difference!!!

this behaviour is definitely recent and (no more than a few weeks
old). i remain convinced it is tied in with a recent update.

and no, i am not using windows defender.

anju

Sandy J

Oct 21, 2007, 6:10:39 PM10/21/07
I have the same issue (also unable to delete posts when this happens) and I
run windows defender.
Sandy

Gary Brandenburg

Oct 21, 2007, 6:39:29 PM10/21/07
So am I, Robear(real time protection off though/just use scheduled daily scans)
~Gary

"Sandy J" <cord...@nobodytherebellsouth.net> wrote in message

Carol

Oct 21, 2007, 10:05:01 PM10/21/07
Me too ;) Same behavior.. running Defender

Carl H

Oct 22, 2007, 1:19:45 AM10/22/07
Problem returned for me also but not running Defender.

Carl H.

"Carol" <Ca...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Carl H

Oct 22, 2007, 1:21:23 AM10/22/07
Problem returned for me also but not running Defender.

"Gary Brandenburg" <Gary@ whatever.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Oct 22, 2007, 10:09:50 AM10/22/07
Thanks to all who responded. No more replies, please: I think we can rule
out the possibility that Defender has something to do with this behavior.

Stay tuned to this station.

PA Bear

Oct 22, 2007, 10:07:56 AM10/22/07
Anju Basu wrote:
<snip>

>>> 138MB
>> <snip>
>> Then we can rule out the size of your message store being the cause of
>> the
>> problem.
>> --
> ok, problem manifested itself again this morning ... as i was reading
> a few messages sent to me and then moving them to different folders to
> archive them. so the housekeeping has not made a difference!!!
>
> this behaviour is definitely recent and (no more than a few weeks
> old). i remain convinced it is tied in with a recent update.
>
> and no, i am not using windows defender.

How many messages are in your Inbox, Sent Items, and Delete Items folders
currently?

What is the current size of these four (4) files in your message store:
Inbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, Deleted Items.dbx, and Folders.dbx? (Right-click
one each file > Properties)
--
~PA Bear

Gary Brandenburg

Oct 22, 2007, 10:16:36 PM10/22/07
Hello Carol, Glad you joined us here, in our quest to get OE working the way it
was(if at all,possible).
Are you the one that's been posting at http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=29224 ?
If so, I was the same way, as far as hoping to find a solution, before having to post
anywhere, in attempts to fix the annoyance that's been plaguing us since the
beginning of Sept. I put up with this for about a week or so, before posting to the
NGs.
I love checking this place for solutions for other's problems, as well as some "How
To" tips & tricks, but this was my 1st post, seeking help myself.
I feel very confident in Robear's abilities to find a solution to this repeated
occurrence, & he too, is having the same problem .
As he said:
<snip>

Stay tuned to this station.
<snip>

~Gary

Anju Basu

Oct 23, 2007, 12:03:43 AM10/23/07
> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

3 messages in inbox and 0 each in the other three folders. i have
been ruthless about cleaning them all out.
inbox.dbx - 328kb
sent items.dbx - 570kb
deleted items.dbx - 634kb
folders.dbx - 72.9kb

i think i have the problem when i move to a 'local folder' (i.e one of
my personal folders). though can't be sure about this ... might just
be that some amount of activity is the trigger ... regardless of what
that activity is.

i thought it might have to do with some nested folders i created
recently ... my folder structure used to be flat until fairly
recently, but found the error occured even when i moved to a non-
nested folder.

thank you for persisting with this. i saw that i had an update of
outlook express on the 10th of october ... and while i can't swear by
it, that may be roughly when the problem first started manifesting
itself. i see others have been facing this since the beginning of
september ... i'm pretty certain that my problem began in october.

anju

PA Bear

Oct 23, 2007, 2:43:58 AM10/23/07
Anju Basu wrote:
>>> ok, problem manifested itself again this morning ... as i was reading
>>> a few messages sent to me and then moving them to different folders to
>>> archive them. so the housekeeping has not made a difference!!!
>>
>>> this behaviour is definitely recent and (no more than a few weeks
>>> old). i remain convinced it is tied in with a recent update.
>>
>>> and no, i am not using windows defender.
>>
>> How many messages are in your Inbox, Sent Items, and Delete Items folders
>> currently?
>>
>> What is the current size of these four (4) files in your message store:
>> Inbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, Deleted Items.dbx, and Folders.dbx?
>> (Right-click one each file > Properties)
>> --
> 3 messages in inbox and 0 each in the other three folders. i have
> been ruthless about cleaning them all out.
> inbox.dbx - 328kb
> sent items.dbx - 570kb
> deleted items.dbx - 634kb
> folders.dbx - 72.9kb

=> Try to keep Sent Items and Deleted Items (especially) as empty as
possible. Make sure they're empty before compacting all folders.

> i think i have the problem when i move to a 'local folder' (i.e one of
> my personal folders). though can't be sure about this ... might just
> be that some amount of activity is the trigger ... regardless of what
> that activity is.
>
> i thought it might have to do with some nested folders i created
> recently ... my folder structure used to be flat until fairly
> recently, but found the error occured even when i moved to a non-
> nested folder.

I'd doubt that is causing the problem, Anju.

> thank you for persisting with this. i saw that i had an update of
> outlook express on the 10th of october ... and while i can't swear by
> it, that may be roughly when the problem first started manifesting
> itself. i see others have been facing this since the beginning of
> september ... i'm pretty certain that my problem began in october.

I first encountered the behavior on 05 Sept-07 and Gary (who started this
thread) encountered it no more than 7 days later, so I'm pretty confident
that the Oct-07 OE update neither caused the problem nor fixed it.
--
~PA Bear

Anju Basu

Oct 23, 2007, 9:06:12 AM10/23/07
> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

woke up this morning to find about 10 messages in my inbox. as i was
disposing of them, got the error again. so you're right, nothing to
do with folder behaviour. keeping everything very empty and
compacting on a daily basis (never needed to do this all these years,
so it is frustrating, indeed) and still have the problem. compacted
once again after sending you the size of my folders and got them all
down to no more than 60kb each.

hitting some limit somewhere after some amount of activity (regardless
of what that activity is) is all i can say. will try keeping a closer
tab on what exactly triggers the error.

meanwhile i was definitely fine all of september ... feel bad to hear
you've been facing this since then with no solution in sight!

anju

PA Bear

Oct 23, 2007, 9:31:55 AM10/23/07
Anju Basu wrote:
<snip>
> woke up this morning to find about 10 messages in my inbox. as i was
> disposing of them, got the error again. so you're right, nothing to
> do with folder behaviour. keeping everything very empty and
> compacting on a daily basis (never needed to do this all these years,
> so it is frustrating, indeed) and still have the problem. compacted
> once again after sending you the size of my folders and got them all
> down to no more than 60kb each.
>
> hitting some limit somewhere after some amount of activity (regardless
> of what that activity is) is all i can say. will try keeping a closer
> tab on what exactly triggers the error.
>
> meanwhile i was definitely fine all of september ... feel bad to hear
> you've been facing this since then with no solution in sight!

The fact that this behavior started for various people at various times is
puzzling, yes. Equally puzzling is the fact that the behavior persists in a
new identity, even one running in a new User Profile, and even without
importing messages from the original identity where the problem first
surfaced.

Anju, do you have the option [Tools > Options > General >] 'Check for new
messages every XX minutes' enabled? If so, how many minutes? Does the
behavior persist if you increase it? ...if this option is disabled and you
do a Send/Receive manually instead (ALT+T+S+A)?
--
~PA Bear

Anju Basu

Oct 23, 2007, 10:03:29 AM10/23/07
> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

currently (and has been for years) set to every 5 minutes. would
really hate to mess with that as i like having 'instantaneous' access
to my email, but will try increasing it.

have task manager up and running so i can look for a pattern there.
which process should i be looking at ... msimn.exe or msmsgs.exe?

feel the problem is not related to usage, but to something else (a
rogue process or some change in the software itself) ... as i for one
can tell you that nothing has changed in the way i have been using it
for years.

JOYCEJOYS

Oct 24, 2007, 9:04:00 PM10/24/07
I have the same problem

Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

I did an update on Oct. 1 but I can't remember exactly when this started,
although that does seem about the right time. Closing and opening is such a
poor solution but that's the one recommended by Microsoft. It is very
annoying but there does not seem to be any solutions. I have McAfee and if
that's the problem and I disable it, I will obviously lose protection.

Bruce Hagen

Oct 24, 2007, 9:15:08 PM10/24/07
No one has figured out what is causing this. PA Bear is experiencing it
himself and is trying everything he can think of. It is going to be tough
because it is a problem that one can't replicate to test solutions. I
haven't seen this problem myself, so there is nothing I can do.

Stay tuned to this thread and this group. If a fix is found, you can bet it
will be posted loud and clear.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/1580bf939a915741/067e7134d79fa319#067e7134d79fa319

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"JOYCEJOYS" <JOYC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anju Basu

Oct 24, 2007, 11:02:03 PM10/24/07
On Oct 24, 9:15 pm, "Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote:
> No one has figured out what is causing this. PA Bear is experiencing it
> himself and is trying everything he can think of. It is going to be tough
> because it is a problem that one can't replicate to test solutions. I
> haven't seen this problem myself, so there is nothing I can do.
>
> Stay tuned to this thread and this group. If a fix is found, you can bet it
> will be posted loud and clear.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.genera...

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>
> "JOYCEJOYS" <JOYCEJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I have the same problem
>
> > Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
> > message. Check your computer forlowmemoryorlowdisk space and try
> >> ~PA Bear- Hide quoted text -

still not sure of the trigger ... i think it may occur after i try to
move a message to another folder. but not entirely sure. however,
what i did find is that when the error does occur, i can still access
all folders where the size of the .dbx file is less that 510kb
(512kb?). any folder great than this in size is rendered inaccessible
until i close and reopen OE. at which point i'm good again until the
next time the error occurs!

memory leak, anyone?

anju

Peter

Oct 27, 2007, 10:29:01 AM10/27/07
I am glad to see I too am not the only one having this issue and it seems to
be fairly recent that this has occurred. Recent to the point, that I think
this occurred around an update of some sort with in the last 2 months. I get
the same error message, Can't open, low memory, low disk space.

I have unisnstalled protection software and it seems to alleivate the issue.
Then when I reinstall it comes back. Very frustrating. Only way around it so
far is to close OE and open up again. Then it will work for a time and ...
same issue. Very frustrated.

b-p....@sympatico.ca

Oct 27, 2007, 8:43:19 PM10/27/07
On Sep 25, 9:51 pm, "Gary Brandenburg" <Gary@ whatever.com> wrote:
> Robert-
> This happens whenever the virtual memory for OE exceeds 1,860,000k+.(shown in Process
> Explorer)
> There's no symptoms when it's about to occur-no freezes, slowdowns, or error
> messages, or performance degredation at all.
> You can be clicking on posts, to read them in the preview pane, & the next click will
> show the message that's in the subject line of this thread.Closing OE & reopening it,
> starts it back to working right.
>
> Using MultiOE to run a 2nd instance of OE, the VM hardly reaches 100,000k when doing
> the same thing. I've also noticed in Process Explorer, that VM will gradually reduce
> back to, near where it was before the increase. It's as if MultiOE VM usage, is
> "reclaimed" when the program is idle for a short while. I haven't watched the
> "Private Delta Bytes" in Process Explorer, to see if that is what it's doing, but
> I've had MultiOE up for over a couple of hours now (after OE stopped working), & it's
> not going above the 100,000k size.(knock on wood)
>
> ~Gary
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:%23kQMDU7$HHA....@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl..."PA Bear" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > This continues to be a real head-scratcher
>
> How frequently does this happen? Any other undesirable symptoms
> that go with it? E.g. a GDI Objects leak would have other performance
> degradation symptoms associated with it.
>
> You could try running ProcMon to see if there are any common accesses
> occurring just before each failure... ; )
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

Bruce
I have been having the same problem and have been following the
threads at aumha.org. Have posted there also. I sent a e-mail to all
on my contact list requesting info as to how many are having this
problem. I got a reply from 18 0f 25 and of those only 4 - 5 were
having this problem but about 10 were not using OE for thier mail.

croomes

Oct 28, 2007, 10:45:00 AM10/28/07
Having the same problem - running Windows Vista Home Premium, with Windows
Mail. I'm not running Windows Defender, but am running McAfee.

Keep getting the "message could not be displayed" message when housekeeping
my Inbox and my local folders. Then find that the message header stays in the
Inbox, but you can't delete it!

Sharon Croome, UK

PA Bear

Oct 28, 2007, 2:55:11 PM10/28/07
I'd be very suprised if it were the "same problem" as you're not running
Outlook Express in Vista, Sharon.

See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail/browse_frm/thread/289a59002134458f/de1463bfe8c44339
--
Windows Mail (Vista)-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PA Bear

Oct 28, 2007, 5:12:41 PM10/28/07
Welcome, fellow sufferer!

> I have unisnstalled protection software and it seems to alleivate the
> issue.
> Then when I reinstall it comes back.

What "protection software" did you uninstall/reinstall, please? Please be
specific and thorough.

--

Peter wrote:
> I am glad to see I too am not the only one having this issue and it seems
> be fairly recent that this has occurred. Recent to the point, that I think
> this occurred around an update of some sort with in the last 2 months. I
> get
> the same error message, Can't open, low memory, low disk space.
>
> I have unisnstalled protection software and it seems to alleivate the
> issue.
> Then when I reinstall it comes back. Very frustrating. Only way around it
> so
> far is to close OE and open up again. Then it will work for a time and ...
> same issue. Very frustrated.

<snip>

Robert Aldwinckle

Oct 29, 2007, 12:55:03 AM10/29/07

> Welcome, fellow sufferer!
>
>> I have unisnstalled protection software and it seems to alleivate the issue.
>> Then when I reinstall it comes back.
>
> What "protection software" did you uninstall/reinstall, please? Please be specific and thorough.

Related to this perhaps: are you running as a standard user or as an admin?
If the latter perhaps you should try running under DropMyRights at least?
(or vice versa. <w>)

Good luck

Robert
---

Peter

Oct 29, 2007, 11:08:00 AM10/29/07
McAfee

PA Bear

Oct 29, 2007, 8:24:11 PM10/29/07
That's not very specific, Peter. McAfee VirusScan, McAfeeVirusScan Plus,
McAfee Internet Security, McAfee Security Center, or...?

How long did you run OE with "McAfee" uninstalled? Did you also run the
McAfee Consumer Removal Tool2 [sic]? Did you install another anti-virus
application (and third-party firewall, if applicable) temporarily? If so,
did you uninstall it/them before reinstalling "McAfee"?

Did you purchase this McAfee application or is it a freebie provided by your
ISP?
--
~PA Bear

It is loading more messages.