Sharing Address Book between two users using Outlook 2000 in Windows XP

Janna Stegmaier

Dec 28, 2001, 5:31:06 PM12/28/01
Thanks Milly,

Let's take this a bit further.

Outlook 2000
Internet Mail Only
Windows XP

How do get the two users (My wife and I are separate users in XP, both using
Outlook with separate     e-mail accounts) to utilize the same address book
file.

My wife's address book shows all of our contacts, however, if I run the
address book from my Outlook, it shows no contact information.

Regards,

>Short answer is no.  You can try exporting the Works address book to a file
> format that Outlook understands (such as a comma separated values file)
but
> you will not be able to synchronize the address books.
>
> If you can get the Works address book to export to that particular file,
you
> can place the file in the shared folders on XP and each user can then
import
> it into their .pst file to use with Outlook.

Milly Staples - [MVP - Outlook]

Dec 28, 2001, 11:54:45 PM12/28/01
Okay, a bit kludgy but it is doable.

Export your (or her) contact folder to a .pst file and keep it in the Shared Files folder.  Then from yours and her Outlook, select File->Open->Outlook Data File.  Browse to and open the file you just exported to the shared folders file.  Since only one of you at a time will be able to use the .pst file, if you close Outlook before logging out of your user profile, you should be able to share the folder between you and update as required.  Only one person can access the folder at a time.

Just remember, using XP's Fast User Switching means that programs that you have open will stay open when you switch users.  You must remember to shut down Outlook under the soon-to-be inactive user in order for the second user to be able to access the contacts personal folder when they are the active user.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

When posting an Outlook problem, please give the version year and mode. (See
Help->About, second line in Outlook 98 or 2000 for the mode, Internet Mail
Only or Corporate or Workgroup.) Post all questions/replies to the newsgroups,
unsolicited personal requests are deleted without reading.