OUTLOOK 2002/XP - Send Button Hangs with Attachment

Mike Barrett

Dec 2, 2004, 8:51:16 AM12/2/04
I am using Office XP on Win XP SP 1. Hardware is Dell Optiplex SX270.
We run an Exchange server.

Problem: When right-clicking a file and using the Send To command, a
new Outlook message box appears. The file is attached properly. I
insert text and my addresses. I click the send button and nothing
happens. This happens every time, regardless of the file type or size.
Outlook is also already open.

Conversely, I can go to Outlook, create a new message, insert the file,
and it will send just fine.

I did not always have this problem. It started happening just a couple
weeks ago. Oddly enough, no new software has been installed. There were
no configuration changes anywhere.

I realize there are differences in the way Outlook handles these
message requests. When utilizing the Send To feature, the message opens
in a dialog box. in other words, it retains total focus within the
Outlook application. Creating a new message normally within Outlook
produces a standard window without focus. Why MicroSoft programmed it
this way is beyond me, as it makes no sense. Whether or not this has
anything to do with the problem or not, I don't know.
Can anybody explain this issue?????

Thanks,

Mike Barrett

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Dec 2, 2004, 9:58:55 AM12/2/04
1) Use the keyboard command for send (Alt+S) or click the button a few
times. (Keyboard method should always work). It's a known problem and is
related to installed software -we don't know which software yet. It's a hard
bug to track down as it only affects a very small percentage of people.

2) Whether the forms are modal (and which editor is used) is controlled deep
inside the program. It's always been that way and since it's never been
changed in all these years, I doubt it ever will... in any event, it really
has nothing to do with your send problem.

There is a program called Mailto_URL
(http://www.slipstick.com/addins/gallery/#mailto) that you can use with IE -
it was created to send text links, but I prefer it because it's not modal
and uses my default editor. Unfortunately, it only works with IE, not other
programs that offer Send to. For Windows Explorer's send to menu, make a
shortcut - see http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040204.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Mike Barrett" <michael...@gmail.com> wrote in message

tlid...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2005, 3:51:56 PM1/4/05
Could you please inform us when you know of a fix from Microsoft? I am
having the same problem with one computer. The only difference between
that computer and all the others is a program called Maximizer.
tliden
tlid...@gmail.com

TIML

Jan 4, 2005, 5:40:43 PM1/4/05