Contact names are changed after importing

James

Jul 5, 2003, 8:07:11 AM7/5/03

I have Outlook 2002 with SP2 installed. I have over 600
contacts in my Outlook. All Contacts names are entered in
the following way: [FirstName LastName].

I export my contacts into Microsoft Excel, then import
them back from this Microsoft Excel file. The result
becomes [LastName, FirstName] instead of [FirstName
LastName].

I can't change all contacts back manually. Can someone
please tell me if there is any solution to this? Is there
any way to change all the contacts back to [FirstName
LastName] automatically?

Thanks.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jul 5, 2003, 8:13:23 AM7/5/03
There are numerous possible views of Contacts in Outlook. To which are you
referring?
What setting did you use for configuring Contacts? If you don't know, look
here: Tools > Options > Preferences > Contact options...?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"James" <ja...@none.nul> wrote in message

James

Jul 5, 2003, 8:54:20 AM7/5/03
My Contacts view is set to Address Cards, but the problem
is visible on other views too. Whenever I open any of the
Contacts, I can see that the "File as" field was changed
from [First Last] to [Last, First].

My Contact Options is set to [First (Middle) Last] and
[First Last].

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jul 5, 2003, 9:05:34 AM7/5/03
Aha. So it is the File As field that is being changed. Outlook cannot apply
your settings fo the File As field to imported Contacts. You have to do that
manually or write code to do it after the import. There is some sample code
in the KB. Search for "File As" and "All Contacts"

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"James" <ja...@none.nul> wrote in message

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Jul 5, 2003, 11:09:35 AM7/5/03
Here is a better site for this:
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/ordcont.htm

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Having searched the archives,
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <rus...@mvps.org> typed:

| Aha. So it is the File As field that is being changed. Outlook cannot
| apply your settings fo the File As field to imported Contacts. You
| have to do that manually or write code to do it after the import.
| There is some sample code in the KB. Search for "File As" and "All
| Contacts"

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jul 5, 2003, 12:11:03 PM7/5/03
I think it all links to the same code, and that site hasn't been updated yet
for Outlook 2002.
I have the URL now that I'm home:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q291144

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <Mil...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Jul 5, 2003, 5:35:54 PM7/5/03
Yes, it works in 2002 and 2003 beta as well, unless I massaged the code way
back when 2002 was in beta.

Finally home, eh? Good for you and hope it was painless for the most part.