Help! My precious rules have disappeared

James Cassidy

Oct 9, 2005, 4:37:48 AM10/9/05

I had about 100 active rules to keep my inbox clear of all the unimportant stuff like subscribed newsletters.  Yesterday morning I installed a couple of outlook add-ins unfortunately these (or one of them) was having conflicts crashing my Outlook 2002 or simply closing it down unexpectedly.  I have since disabled them.  I noticed that my inbox was receiving emails that should be automatically moved, after checking my rules and to my horror they have all disappeared.

I back my machine up regularly but I have never exported the rules to a separate .rzw file.  Is there any way of getting them back, are they stored in a separate file that outlook loads as part of my profile.

I’ve tried the obvious - system restore, but there still not there can anyone help me.

--
Thanks,
James

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Oct 9, 2005, 10:12:43 AM10/9/05
You can try a new profile using one of the backuped up *.psts - if it works, export the rules to a file and import into the old profile.

Do both of these steps from the control panel, mail applet before opening outlook- also set outlook to leave mail on the server in this profile, so you can download it into your good pst later.  (Use More Settings button)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

James Cassidy

Oct 11, 2005, 12:02:03 PM10/11/05
Thanks for your help.
This did work but I will have to select all the specified folders, I also discovered that all my custom views have gone as well. I have now got another problem with the forms manager in that an error message comes up when I try to manage my forms and no forms tab are available in the folder properties.  I've tried the office detect and repair feature and this has not fixed the problem.
Plan of action now is to export all the items created and modified since Outlook crashed in to a new PST, save my setting using the wizard, uninstall and reinstall outlook, restore my settings use the last backed up PST I have (the day before the crash) and then import the created and modified items.  I hope this sorts the problem out!!!

A note of worth; I forgot my email settings while setting up a new profile on the first attempt.   So if you don't set up an account for the new profile then the rules buttons and menu options are not visible. i.e. there is nothing to select.