Re: are Outlook XP PST files compatible with Outlook 2007

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Feb 27, 2007, 10:45:22 PM2/27/07
Aloha Dan,

If you mean can Outlook 2007 open Outlook XP (AKA Outlook 2002) PST files
the answer is yes.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

dan

Feb 27, 2007, 11:01:00 PM2/27/07
Ben,

thanks for your quick response. i just purchased a new notebook with vista
and outlook 2007. if I copy to PST file from my old machine to the new one
(old machine is Windows and Office XP) will the new machine be able to open
the file in outlook?

cheers,
Dan

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Feb 27, 2007, 11:32:03 PM2/27/07
Aloha Dan,

Yes. I would suggest, by the way, that after you open the file in Outlook
2007 that you create a new Outlook data file (PST) with Outlook 2007, in
Outlook 2007 format, then copy/move your items from the old file to the new
one. Then set the new one as your default.

The Outlook 2007 file will be Unicode format and not constrained by the 2GB
limit. It will be much more stable than your old file.

Brian Tillman

Feb 28, 2007, 8:49:21 AM2/28/07
dan <d...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> thanks for your quick response. i just purchased a new notebook with
> vista and outlook 2007. if I copy to PST file from my old machine to
> the new one (old machine is Windows and Office XP) will the new
> machine be able to open the file in outlook?

In addition to what Ben says, do NOT simply overwrite any existing PST with
one of the same name from your old Outlook and simply copying it into the
folder where Outlook creates PSTs by default isn't enough to make Outlook
aware of it.
--
Brian Tillman

paulo

Feb 28, 2007, 5:46:26 PM2/28/07
Hi Ben,

How does it work if I'm reverting back to Outlook 2002 from 2007? I can't
seem to import my pst file over from 2007 to 2002. Its saying its not
compatible.

Thanks.

Paulo

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Feb 28, 2007, 6:40:34 PM2/28/07
Aloha Paulo,

It's not. You'd have to create a new PST file in Outlook 2007 and specify
that it should be an Outlook 97-2002 format PST file. Then copy all of your
data from the new file to that old file...keep in mind that if you have 2GB
or more of data that you're going to have a problem.

clickhiker

Apr 17, 2007, 3:22:02 AM4/17/07
Ben,

Can I safely assume it is the same for Outlook 2003 files to the 2007
version? I am very concerned that I do not lose any existing e mails. Of
course I will do a backup DVD of my .pst files, but want to be certain 2007
can read them. Thanks for any help!
--
Norm

neo [mvp outlook]

Apr 17, 2007, 7:45:32 AM4/17/07
Yes, personal folder files are compatible between the two.

"clickhiker" <click...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

JT

Apr 18, 2007, 11:44:01 PM4/18/07
Ben,

Just would like to confirm what I have come to understand is correct, please.

As for Paulo, I have XP/Outlook on my desktop, and a new Vista machine with
Outlook 2007. I used to have an XP laptop, and used Windows briefcase to
update the respective PC's via my home network when I returned from the
field. This was a very easy solution to keeping both PC's up to date (except
that if I reorganised one PC by moving files from Inbox to specific subject
folders, the transferred emails would reappear in my Inbox next time I
synch'ed! I never solved this issue.).

Of course now I've discovered about the new PST format and understand that
it's superior. But for now I don't plan on getting Vista on my desktop (I've
already experienced compatability issues, e.g. my Canon colour laser LBP5200
doesn't appear to have a driver for Vista yet). I still have my need for
sycnhronising the two PC's emails. It seems to me therefore that in Outlook
2007 I must choose the older format for the PST folder data file. That way I
can keep using the Briefcase approach I have grown used to. Is this the case?

Second issue - I have already downloaded some emails (about 1 week's worth)
into Outlook 2007 as I didn't know about the new pst format incompatability
issue. Can I simply copy my Vista Inbox folder's contents (Outlook 2007, new
pst format) to the Vista Inbox folder created in the older format? If not,
is there any way for me to "convert" the week's worth of new emails currently
on my Vista machine (and so in the new pst format) back to the old 1997-2002
format? (I have a feeling you're going to say "NO").

I know this is a bit long, but maybe many other people have been caught by
this change as well. I wish I had been observant enough to know about this
issue BEFORE I just imported my old emails. Or perhaps MS could have a
dialogue box come up when you click Import, warning about the issue. (or are
they deliberately trying to force us all to go straight to Vista without
delay?)

Many thanks.

--
Always Learning ...

about Microsoft changes

neo [mvp outlook]

Apr 19, 2007, 9:00:29 AM4/19/07
Comments in line to your post...

"JT" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Haven't tried it myself, but I would say yes.

> Second issue - I have already downloaded some emails (about 1 week's
> worth)
> into Outlook 2007 as I didn't know about the new pst format
> incompatability
> issue. Can I simply copy my Vista Inbox folder's contents (Outlook 2007,
> new
> pst format) to the Vista Inbox folder created in the older format? If
> not,
> is there any way for me to "convert" the week's worth of new emails
> currently
> on my Vista machine (and so in the new pst format) back to the old
> 1997-2002
> format? (I have a feeling you're going to say "NO").

Yes, you can move/copy the items from the new format to the old. Once done,
you can visit the mail settings (Tools > Email Settings or Mail applet in
the control panel) and change default delivery location from one PST to the
other.

> I know this is a bit long, but maybe many other people have been caught by
> this change as well. I wish I had been observant enough to know about
> this
> issue BEFORE I just imported my old emails. Or perhaps MS could have a
> dialogue box come up when you click Import, warning about the issue. (or
> are
> they deliberately trying to force us all to go straight to Vista without
> delay?)
>
> Many thanks.

MS would love to see everyone upgrade, however, in the end its you who
controls how you spend your money.