Outlook 2003 not connecting to Hotmail

Ithompson

Oct 17, 2006, 11:02:01 AM10/17/06
My hard drive crashed yesterday. I re-installed eveything on a new hard drive
and setup all my outlook POP3, IMAP, and HTTP e-mail accounts. Everything
works fine except for Hotmail. I know Hotmail stopped allowing non-subscribed
or "non-paying" customers to have access to HTTP or POP3, but when I was
briefed in a letter by Hotmail a very long time ago they stated that users
with accounts older than a certain date would still be allowed to access
their accounts via third party mail clients, which being one of the older
members myself, I fell into that group.

So... I've been getting my synchronized mail this whole entire time no
problem at all until this re-install. Is this an issue with my installation?
Or is this an issue with Hotmail? Possibly an error with a firewall? PLEASE
HELP!!!

Below, is the error I am recieving. I have all my information typed in
correctly and can login perfectly fine using the same credentials on the web
version of hotmail.

Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error
(0x800CCC32) : 'Access to the account was denied. Verify that your username
and password are correct.The server responded 'Invalid login.'. '

Thanks,

Ithompson

Ithompson

Oct 17, 2006, 11:36:02 AM10/17/06
Ok, I just tested out my account on Entourage (a Mac version of Outlook) and
it seems to work just fine. Apparently this is an Outlook issue.

So the question is, is this something I can adjust for or am I going to have
to completely re-install Outlook?

Sincerely,

Ithompson

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Oct 17, 2006, 10:08:13 PM10/17/06
I don't know if this will help or not, but it might:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823578/en-us
You cannot connect to your MSN account in Outlook 2003

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- h...@kvoa.com

"Ithompson" <Itho...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ithompson

Oct 18, 2006, 11:53:01 AM10/18/06
That was a very interesting link. I would have never thought of that
approach. However, that still did not solve my problem.

I've never had this sort of problem before between hotmail and outlook, so I
figured something had to be amuck with the installation of either Office or
Windows. So, after repairing office with no results then uninstalling it
completely and re-installing with no results I went for a windows OS repair.
That seemed to do the trick. My hotmail is now connecting and synchronizing
perfectly fine.

Hope this helps the next poor soul who experiences the same problem as I.

Sincerely,

Ithompson

Ithompson

Oct 18, 2006, 3:40:02 PM10/18/06
Ok, I think I'm getting closer and closer to the real problem behind this.
Responding about my previous post and how everything was working properly
again I ran into the exact same thing AGAIN!!! This time, I realized what is
actually causing the issue though.

When I ran a Windows Repair, as described above, the repair automatically
restored the operating system to use IE6 and got rid of the IE7 that I had
installed. I ran Outlook, everything worked, and then I began adding back the
things that I had before the repair. Once I added IE7 and then opened Outlook
the problem was back again and I was not able to connect to Hotmail. I
uninstalled IE7 and whalaa, it worked again.

The problem here lies with IE7 being installed. Is there a way to fix this
and still hav IE7 installed? Perhaps I should find an IE7 community.

Anyways, I thought I would share my new findings.

Sincerely,

Ithompson

Brian Tillman

Oct 20, 2006, 2:12:54 PM10/20/06
Ithompson <Itho...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The problem here lies with IE7 being installed. Is there a way to fix
> this and still hav IE7 installed? Perhaps I should find an IE7
> community.

Is this the very new production IE7 that was released earlier this week?
--
Brian Tillman

Ithompson

Oct 20, 2006, 2:27:01 PM10/20/06
Yes this is the newest IE7. I found the solution though!

If you run Windows Update and look in the optional software you'll see a few
"Windows XP" updates regarding http and such. Download the updates and
install and you'll have your fix!

Hope this thread is helpful! There were some other threads on the IE7
community that tipped me off to this, so thank God for those. Figuring out
that the problem was IE7 in the first place however, wasn't so so easy, so I
still think it's good that something in this community mentions it.

Sincerely,

Ithompson

Ithompson

Oct 20, 2006, 2:28:01 PM10/20/06

Dukendjiev@discussions.microsoft.com Boris Dukendjiev

Nov 23, 2006, 9:43:02 PM11/23/06
I hit the same issue (0X800CCC32 error code) with Outlook 2003 SP1 on
Windows XP with IE7 (v7.0.5730.11) when attempting to receive e-mails from
the HTTP-based MSN (paid) and HOTMAIL (free) accounts. At the same time the
HTTP YAHOO account continued to work without any problems when using the
Outlook 2003!

I was ignoring “Update for Windows XP (KB904942)” because I already had the
released (no BETA) of the IE7 installed.

The solution for this problem is:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=904942
“Authentication fails when you use Outlook or Outlook Express to try to log
on to a HTTP-based mail server if you use Internet Explorer version 7.0”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823578 “You cannot connect to your MSN
account in Outlook 2003” is irrelevant in this case.

Thanks

Scott Sinks

Dec 18, 2006, 11:39:01 AM12/18/06
The fact that this problem (0x800CCC32 error code) with Outlook 2003 and my
MSN HTTP accounts showed up after IE 7 was installed made me suspect IE7
immediately. A quick (?) system restore confirmed it was something that
happened when IE7 installed. Boris's tip to use
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=904942 (“Authentication fails
when you use Outlook or Outlook Express to try to log on to a HTTP-based mail
server if you use Internet Explorer version 7.0”) was the fix.

Prior to finding this thread, I'd tried removing and adding the email
accounts and even modifying the registry as outlined in article KB290684
("Save password setting not retained in Outlook or Outlook Express") with no
joy. After a few hours or research and attempts, I nearly gave up and was
thinking Mozilla and Firefox. MS has a problem here when their email service
and their Outlook and IE7 software won't play together well.

Long story short...Boris provided me with the answer. Thank you.

bee

Mar 18, 2007, 10:25:08 PM3/18/07
This was extremely helpful! i had the same issues after i unistalled IE 7 it
worked!