How to move Outlook.ost and Outlook0.ost to another location?

Lee

Feb 21, 2006, 4:46:00 PM2/21/06
Hi

I use Outlook 2003 on XP Pro.

My 'C' drive is fairly small and used for OS only. My Apps are installed
onto my 'F' drive being a partition on a large drive. 'C' is running low on
space - partly due to the size of my local outlook files: outlook0.ost is
330MB and outlook.ost is 44MB.

I have looked in Tools>Options>Mail Setup>Data Files which allowed me to
move my main and archive .pst files but cannot see where or how to move the
.ost files to another location.

I hope someone out there knows the answer?

Brian Tillman

Feb 21, 2006, 8:22:27 PM2/21/06
Lee <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

See if this helps. You need Outlook 2003.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896591/
--
Brian Tillman

Lee

Feb 21, 2006, 9:55:58 PM2/21/06

"Brian Tillman" <tillm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Hello Brian

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I am indeed using Outlook 2003 and followed the instructions - it has made
no difference at all. The .ost file was recreated in the default folder on
my C drive. However it is, for now, significantly smaller than previously
until the whole thing syncs again.

I discovered what appears to be the specific option under
Mailbox>Properties>Advanced>Advanced>Offline Folder Settings however I am
unable to manually edit the default location listed nor click on the
"Browse" button in order to choose a new location.

Are you aware of any other possible solutions?

TIA

Brian Tillman

Feb 22, 2006, 4:41:20 PM2/22/06
Lee <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> I discovered what appears to be the specific option under
> Mailbox>Properties>Advanced>Advanced>Offline Folder Settings however
> I am unable to manually edit the default location listed nor click on
> the "Browse" button in order to choose a new location.

This worked for me:

I clicked Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, selected my Exchange account, and
clicked Change, then More Settings. I selected the Advanced tab abd
unchecked "Use Chached Exchange Mode". I then clicked OK, answered the
prompt that told me my settings would take effect the next time I started
Outlook, clicked Next, then Finish. I stopped Outlook, then opened the
Mail applet in Control Panel, clicking E-mail Accounts. I again selected my
Exchange account, clicked Change, then More Settings, and Advanced. I
clicked "Offline Folder FIle Settings", then "DiIsable Offline Use", then
OK, then OK, then Next. I reclicked More Settings, then Advanced, then
"Offline Folder File Settings". The File field was not editable so I
entered a new OST path. I clicked OK, then rechecked "Use Cached Exchange
Mode", click OK, then Next, then Finish. When I restarted Outlook, I
received a brief popup stating that Outlook was preparing for first time
use. When it finished opening, I was back in cached Exchange mode and my
OST was in the new location.
--
Brian Tillman

Lee

Feb 23, 2006, 12:07:57 PM2/23/06

"Brian Tillman" <tillm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Brian - very many thanks!

This worked completely.

For the sake of those googling, I would note that having shut down Outlook,
I copied my current .ost file from C:/Documents and Settings/.... to the new
location. It was therefore waiting for me to find when I browsed to the new
location - otherwise the applet will ask to create a new .ost file which
would then take ages to populate with data as it syncs from the exchange
server. This way, Outlook uses the .ost data file that it knows and
loves.... ;-)

I then renamed my original .ost file in the original default location just
to be sure that Outlook was indeed using the new location. If it hadn't then
Outlook would create a new .ost file in the original location and you would
know that the reconfiguration had not worked. As it was, it did. I was then
able to delete the renamed original .ost file without problem.

Many thanks

I really appreciate your help.

Brossyg

Apr 17, 2006, 4:31:34 PM4/17/06
Brian,

The registry entry may work for .ost files related to Echange, but I use
Outlook 2003 for an MSN mailbox. It created a .ost file in the default
location and this registry entry does not seem to change it to the new path.
MSN are mapi accounts, not Exchange. How can I change the location of the
.ost file in this case?

Brian Tillman

Apr 17, 2006, 10:23:55 PM4/17/06
Brossyg <Bro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The registry entry may work for .ost files related to Echange, but I
> use Outlook 2003 for an MSN mailbox. It created a .ost file in the
> default location and this registry entry does not seem to change it
> to the new path. MSN are mapi accounts, not Exchange. How can I
> change the location of the .ost file in this case?

I suspect that you cannot.
--
Brian Tillman

vikram...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2012, 2:26:55 AM4/28/12
Repair OST Inbox software contains superior characteristic through this software user get entire inbox items. Repair OST file is another application of this software by which user effortlessly repair OST database and convert into readable PST files. For more satisfaction go on info: - http://www.repairost.net/

vikram...@gmail.com

May 17, 2012, 8:18:43 AM5/17/12
Convert OST to PST Office 2007 Software is an advance tool designed with high algorithams to quicly convert OST emails files to PST Emails because it is unusable due to Exchange account deleted and some reason. For more info visit this link:-http://www.osttopstconverter.co.uk

vikram...@gmail.com

May 17, 2012, 8:19:01 AM5/17/12
Message has been deleted

vikram...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2012, 5:31:10 AM6/1/12
Latest OST Recovery Software Download to scan damage OST files quickly and converts into new PST Outlook. OST Recovery Software supports all Windows OS versions like 2000, 98, Vista, 2003, 2010(32 bit), and Win7 http://www.convertostfile.com

dwanes...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2018, 4:03:07 AM1/29/18
OST to PST Converter is a secure and safe inbox recovery tool which recovers emails, journals, calendars, attachments, tasks, etc. and provides flawless access to corrupt or damaged data.This software has been built by using high-end algorithms which can render you with best options of recovery like retention of metadata and data security in OST mailboxes. So, investing in this type of recovery solution can give you finest, safest and simplest data restoration. It comes with free trial edition. You can install it to try out its features before buying. But demo version restricts the conversion due to its freeware limitation but you can understand all of its repair procedures. https://www.mailvare.com/free-ost-to-pst-converter/

Isabellajohnson2

Sep 20, 2019, 5:43:17 AM9/20/19
Try OST to PST Conversion tool for instant migration of OST files in PST. It comes with a trial version that will help you in understanding the software without any investment. The tool allows working on all Outlook and Windows versions. More info visit here:- https://www.datavare.com/software/ost-to-pst-converter-expert.html

John franklin

Mar 4, 2021, 3:18:53 PM3/4/21
Get easy and best solution of OST to PST file converter that helps you to know how to fix OST file errors and convert OST file to PST file correctly. Program can quickly restore OST to PST, Office 365, Zimbra, MBOX, EML, EMLX, MSG, VCF, ICS & HTML File.

More Info:- https://www.jsltools.com/ost-to-pst-converter.html

Aryan Malhotra

Mar 22, 2022, 2:39:01 AM3/22/22
In this regard, I have gone through an informative write-up that explains the 4 best ways to move Outlook OST to another location. Apart from this, you will also find the various reasons that induce this demand. In this article, you will also find the default location of Offline OST file data in different versions of MS Outlook and Windows OS.

To know more: https://webtechmails.wordpress.com/2022/03/15/move-ost-file-to-another-drive/

Kelly Lasner

Apr 28, 2022, 7:20:14 AM4/28/22
Is anyone thinking about the procedure of migrating from OST to Outlook PST? Then don't apprehension, go to Google and search for the OST to PST Conversion Software. It will automatically convert OST into Outlook PST files without deleting any of OST data, and it will also define OST location for migration, saving us time. It will shift OST emails to PST, EML, EMLX, MBOX, MSG, and HTML and also support all versions of MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, & 2003.

Refer: https://www.sametools.com/convert/ost/

Alina Malhotra

Nov 14, 2022, 1:40:21 AM11/14/22
Hey,
If you want to move Outlook OST to another location, don't worry; it's so simple. Read this blog to learn how to change your location in simple steps.

Read more information: https://www.softakensoftware.com/blog/change-default-location-of-ost-file.html

reyan methew

Jan 13, 2023, 7:20:38 AM1/13/23
To know how to move Outlook OST files to another location, firstly you have to know many software developers in the technical world who developed many software or utilities, but users do not know which tool is better for them, so if you want to export emails from OST to Outlook PST. then, I recommend you use GainTools OST Converter. To effortlessly migrate inbox, drafts, sent, trash, and deleted items to Outlook PST format, download the Free Trial and convert OST to PST file. Refer:- https://www.gaintools.com/ost/