Outlook 2007 Memory Leak

Magoo

Feb 6, 2007, 10:24:00 AM2/6/07
I left my machine on over weekend and when I came in the Outlook process was
768mb. I came in this morning after leaving my Outlook up over night and it
was 520mb. Clean closing and after about 15 minutes it is already up to 95mb.

This is NOT Beta.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks!

Roady [MVP]

Feb 6, 2007, 10:31:03 AM2/6/07
Perfectly normal behavior for any application that uses the advanced memory
management features of Windows while you have plenty of RAM available. You
would only speak of a leak when the application doesn't return unused memory
to the operating system when requested.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"Magoo" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Magoo

Feb 6, 2007, 10:40:00 AM2/6/07
I forgot to mention I do have 2gb of RAM.

So what you are saying is that if Memory is availabe Outlook 2007 will eat
what it wants/needs. I have a dog like that and I only fill his bowl of food
twice a day.

Roady [MVP]

Feb 6, 2007, 10:48:32 AM2/6/07
Well unlike your dog filling itself with food, Outlook will perform better
when it has more memory available. Basically what Outlook does is asking
Windows if it has some more memory available. As long as there is memory
available and Outlook requests it Windows will give it to Outlook. Windows
will also keep track on how much extra RAM Outlook has requested so when you
launch another application which needs more memory than available Windows
will take it back from Outlook. Windows will also keep track of active usage
to prioritize who will get the additional RAM first.

Why pay for expensive RAM if it isn't going to be used? Just give it to
Outlook and everybody is happy ;-)

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"Magoo" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Magoo

Feb 6, 2007, 11:54:00 AM2/6/07
I am concerned when I start using my virtual machines and then Windows will
have to start tombstoning Outlook used memory. Tombstoning memory seems like
a slow process which I think is one 4k page at a time. Lots of 4k pages in
512mb of ram stuck in a process. I am not a pretending to be an Kernal
programmer but it just seems dangerous to take on this "get the food while it
is there" mentality. I grew up in a large family and at dinner time whoever
ate fast left the table with an more full tummy but others lost out that ate
slow. Love these food analogies!? So another worry is that when other
applications start using this advanced windows memory there will be a nasty
fight going on and I am sure the one is a voracious will win.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Feb 6, 2007, 1:43:00 PM2/6/07
It's pretty simple actually. Outlook will return memory when other
programs ask for it. Here is something simple you can do to see how
dynamic Outlook's memory behavior is:
Open Outlook and the task manager on the process tab. Note the memory
usage.
Minimize Outlook and then check the memory usage.
In my case e.g., Outlook uses with full screen roughly 90+ MB mem (and
180+ MB VM). Minimize it, Outlook goes down to 10 MB mem and retains the
same amount of VM usage.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Magoo" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Magoo

Feb 6, 2007, 1:54:01 PM2/6/07
I am impressed!

Roady [MVP]

Feb 6, 2007, 3:06:37 PM2/6/07
You see? No leak at all, just great programming! And the operating system
acts as the mother to make sure everybody has enough and takes extra care of
the ones who really needs it ;-)

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"Magoo" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Magoo

Feb 6, 2007, 3:16:00 PM2/6/07
Nice Mom! Strong burly hand! I am impressed with how fast pages get tombstoned.

I am now going to keep my unused apps minimized instead of allowing them to
stay open in the background or maybe this is only happening with new apps
taken advantage of this advanced memory management technique!?

Magoo

Feb 6, 2007, 5:02:00 PM2/6/07
I forgot to mention something of interest. Over the weekend I came and as I
mention in the beginning it showed Outlook using 768mb. I had appointments up
and tried to dismiss them and it said it could not dismiss them because it
was out of virtual memory. Curious!?

Sam.D...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2007, 7:03:36 PM2/6/07
On Feb 6, 5:02 pm, Magoo <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention something of interest. Over the weekend I came and as I
> mention in the beginning it showed Outlook using 768mb. I had appointments up
> and tried to dismiss them and it said it could not dismiss them because it
> was out of virtual memory. Curious!?
>

> "Magoo" wrote:
> > Nice Mom! Strong burly hand! I am impressed with how fast pages get tombstoned.
>
> > I am now going to keep my unused apps minimized instead of allowing them to
> > stay open in the background or maybe this is only happening with new apps
> > taken advantage of this advanced memory management technique!?
>
> > "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > > You see? No leak at all, just great programming! And the operating system
> > > acts as the mother to make sure everybody has enough and takes extra care of
> > > the ones who really needs it ;-)
>
> > > --
> > > Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> > > Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> > >http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> > > Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>
> > > -----
> > > "Magoo" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

hello. Can someone please help?? I have Outlook 2007 with a brand
new Dell XPS (1.83 core duo with 2MB memory and upgraded video card).
Outlook is WAY too slow to use. It takes approximately 5-10 seconds
to open an e-mail. I saw all of these posts and thought I'd post to
this group. Did anyone you figure out how to fix this? Do you think
MS will come out with a fix?? Thanks!

Roady [MVP]

Feb 7, 2007, 10:33:46 AM2/7/07
I believe that was one of the magic numbers when Windows tells the app to go
**** himself if you're asking for any more memory :-D (unless the
application has been designed to use massive amounts of memory). It's a bit
of an exception as Outlook shouldn't be asking for so much memory in the
first place unless you're using quite a number of add-ins. Minimizing
Outlook or restarting it should release (part of) the memory directly. If
this behavior happens more often you should troubleshoot the add-ins.

In general Windows controls the size of the page file. As a rule of thumb
for normal usage it's about 1.5 times the amount of physical memory and when
you are running a database application (like SQL) somewhere between the 2
and 4 times the amount of physical memory (depends on the size and usage of
the database solution).

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"Magoo" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Roady [MVP]

Feb 7, 2007, 10:38:01 AM2/7/07
Start a new message thread of your own since it is off-topic for this
discussion.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
<Sam.D...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Magoo

Mar 7, 2007, 6:59:22 PM3/7/07
I do have add-ins and I have been suspecting them all along.

Interesting! Thanks Roady.

CEU

Mar 28, 2007, 11:16:04 AM3/28/07
Roady,

The bottom line here for me is that outlook's excessive and unnecessary
usage of memory is causing performance problems. Earlier versions did not
behave this way and did not cause my computer to respond slowly.

I have been designing,writing,debugging sw for two decades... so I am
familiar with resource usage issues.

It's usage is monotonically increasing.
It should not request memory if it is just sending/recieving periodically.
Why should it need more memory for that? There is clearly a memory leak.

CEU

Magoo

Mar 28, 2007, 11:26:10 AM3/28/07
I have to agree. I have removed all my add-ons and I just arrived to work
this morning. As Outlook was sitting over night it somehow decided to consume
349mb of virutal memory. It is true if I hit the coin slot button and
minimize Outlook the memory is drastically reduced. So with Outlook maximized
overnight with nothing happening other then polling to the exchange server it
just does not make sense that it is not a memory leak.

CEU

Mar 28, 2007, 12:18:00 PM3/28/07
More info from me...

In my system outlook comes up and immediately grabs about 20 mb. It then
gobbles memory at a rate of about 1Mb per minute even if I disable send and
receive polling. It also steadily uses CPU: %15 avg of 2.16Ghz core DUO
running Vista! It shows no sign of abating... I have to kill it periodically
because if slows the entire system down.

I wonder if this is something related to indexing for search functions?
What else could it be doing?

Also I have a large inbox I imported from my other system. about 1 Gig.

So for Roady...

Do you know what outlook is doing in the background?
If you want to emulate what is happening with memory on my system, write a
program that allocates a new 1 megabyte char array every minute. Let it run
on your system indefinately and see how long it takes for you to notice a
problem with performance...