moving outlook to a new machine

Randy Starkey

Sep 20, 2007, 2:18:27 AM9/20/07

What is the best way to move Outlook 2003 to a new machine, and save as many
settings as possible? Like toolbars, etc.

Thanks,

--Randy Starkey

Gordon

Sep 20, 2007, 3:02:59 AM9/20/07
"Randy Starkey" <randy.sta...@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
message news:13f445j...@corp.supernews.com...

To migrate settings, account info etc use the Save My settings Wizard, found
in Start-All Programs-Microsoft Office-Microsoft Office Tools.
To move data do the following:

On Old Computer:
Close Outlook.
Search for, and copy the pst file. Default name and location are:
C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User Name here}\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. (You may have to enable Hidden and
System files in your search)

On the New computer:
Copy the pst file to your HDD. Do NOT overwrite any existing file. Remove
any read-only attribute. (Right-Click-Properties).
Open Outlook.
Do File-Open-Outlook Data File and navigate to where you copied the file.

You then have two alternatives.
1. Drag and drop the data from the old file to the new
or,
2. If you have a large amount of data then you can set the old file as the
Default Delivery location and Outlook will just carry on using that file.
(Control Panel-Mail-Data File)

more info here:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

HTH

Randy Starkey

Sep 20, 2007, 3:19:57 AM9/20/07
Thanks much!

Hope toolbars are in there somewhere too... I'll go read.

--Randy

"Gordon" <gbpl...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

Gordon

Sep 20, 2007, 3:30:53 AM9/20/07
"Randy Starkey" <randy.sta...@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
message news:13f47ov...@corp.supernews.com...

> Thanks much!
>
> Hope toolbars are in there somewhere too... I'll go read.

I think that custom tool bars are included in Save My Settings....

Randy Starkey

Sep 20, 2007, 6:01:38 PM9/20/07
OK - Thanks!

"Gordon" <gbpl...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

Randy Starkey

Sep 21, 2007, 1:34:39 PM9/21/07
Gordon,

No such wizard in my setup. Office 2003 pro. Should be there?

--Randy

Brian Tillman

Sep 21, 2007, 2:04:14 PM9/21/07
Randy Starkey <randy.sta...@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote:

> No such wizard in my setup. Office 2003 pro. Should be there?

You don't have All Programs>Microsoft Office Tools>Microsoft Office 2003
Save My Settings Wizard or All Programs>Microsoft Office>Microsoft Office
Tools>Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Randy Starkey

Feb 4, 2008, 10:21:55 PM2/4/08
Had to install it. Was never installed for some reason. Used it and it
worked pretty well. Thanks!

"Brian Tillman" <tillm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message