Outlook 2003 / Vista bug??

JSmith

Jun 1, 2007, 8:02:00 PM6/1/07
The problem occurs on messages that are sent to me with ONLY "BCC" addresses.

When I receive the message on my Outlook 2003/XP machine, the TO field shows
"undisclosed recipients", and the message displays correctly. The same
message on the Outlook 2003/Vista HP machine has the TO field empty, and the
message is displayed uninterpreted (with HTML codes showing for HTML
messages, etc.), and with all of the headers displayed.

This is a MAJOR problem with attachments since they come thru inline with
the text, and in an uninterpreted maner that makes it impossible to
reconstruct.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22e86244-1ea3-4c9a-af2c-04740a123591&dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general

Roady [MVP]

Jun 2, 2007, 6:15:34 AM6/2/07
-----Don't abuse the suggestion feature for general issues-----

What account type are you using?
If you have a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook disable this
integration and redownload the message.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----

"JSmith" <JSm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

JSmith

Jun 2, 2007, 8:25:00 AM6/2/07
I am using a standard (non admin) account.

I am using Norton Internet Securiy 2007 (version 10.3.0.12). I didn't see
any settings that directly referred to email, but I turned off "auto protect"
and resent the message. It still appears with the visible headers.

FWIW, another standard account on the same machine also receives this type
of messages with the headers visible.

Charles W Davis

Jun 2, 2007, 7:45:00 PM6/2/07
Uninstall the invasive Norton Internet Security. Download and install either
the free AVG Anti-virus from or the AVAST anti-virus program. When you
uninstall Norton, the Windows Firewall will be activated, assuming that you
have Service Pack 2 installed. You do have SP2 installed don't you?

"JSmith" <JSm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lee@discussions.microsoft.com Chris Lee

Jul 5, 2007, 9:34:00 PM7/5/07
I am having this EXACT same problem.

Outlook 2003 on Vista, when receiving emails which were sent using the BCC
field (so "undisclosed-recipients" displays in the To: field), the raw email
is displayed complete with headers and MIME encoded attachments.

This has nothing to do with email scanners, as the Vista machine
encountering this problem is running Sophos anti-virus only, and is not
performing and email scanning/filtering.

The exact same email that was sent BCC'd will display fine on Outlook 2003
running on Windows XP - so it's not an issue with the formatting of the email
from the sender, but rather something to do with Vista screwing up Outlook
2003.

I've found another thread with others encountering this exact same problem.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/8407-vista-outlook-2003-showing-mail-source.html

Is there some way to report this to Microsoft and get a hotfix made ? It's
really becoming a pain.

Mike2ff99

Sep 12, 2007, 11:22:04 AM9/12/07
Same problem. I even removed my antivirus completely, turned off the firewall
and plugged directly into my non-firewalled cable router to download the
message on my vista laptop. My XP w/Office 2003 machine decodes them fine. I
use comcast cable, but the issue seems to happen most often from AOL users
who send a BCC with an empty TO: field..

jo.d...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2007, 4:28:43 PM9/18/07
Does anybody have a solution to this problem? The company i work for
sends out a weekly e-mail and we have received several complaints from
clients that they can't read the email. They only see the source and
all clients that complain have OL2003 and vista.

Does Microsoft monitor this newsgroup or can we report this issue
somewhere else?

Jo.

On Sep 12, 5:22 pm, Mike2ff99 <Mike2f...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Same problem. I even removed my antivirus completely, turned off the firewall
> and plugged directly into my non-firewalled cable router to download the

> message on my vista laptop. My XP w/Office2003machine decodes them fine. I

> use comcast cable, but the issue seems to happen most often from AOL users

> who send aBCCwith an empty TO: field..

> "JSmith" wrote:
> > The problem occurs on messages that are sent to me with ONLY "BCC" addresses.
>

> > When I receive the message on myOutlook2003/XP machine, the TO field shows

> > "undisclosed recipients", and the message displays correctly. The same

> > message on theOutlook2003/Vista HP machine has the TO field empty, and the

> > message is displayed uninterpreted (withHTMLcodes showing forHTML
> > messages, etc.), and with all of the headers displayed.
>
> > This is a MAJOR problem with attachments since they come thru inline with
> > the text, and in an uninterpreted maner that makes it impossible to
> > reconstruct.
>
> > ----------------
>

> >http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22e8...

covaid hut

Sep 24, 2007, 5:17:20 AM9/24/07
same problem here, vista +outlook 2003

Any solution or hotfix yet??

Julie-EBTS

Oct 25, 2007, 2:08:00 PM10/25/07
I've been having this same issue since I purchased my new laptop with Vista
on it. I am sooooo sorry I did this. Should have stuck with XP.

This is having a huge impact on my business!!!

So, Microsoft....WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS?????????

Julie

Broker

Oct 25, 2007, 5:53:01 PM10/25/07
I am having the identical problem.

My setup is as follows:
Email is POPed from Gmail.com and Verizon.net.
The received emails are OK when residing and viewed from the Gmail and
Verizon webmail sites. When POPed by Outlook 2003 HTML is often stripped out
and most non-PDF attachments are merged into the body of the email in the
form of machine code.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook to no avail.

OS = Vista
Vista firewall and auto updating are ON
Vista spyware and virus protection are OFF
Internet Security settings are DEFAULT
User account control is ON

All MS products have latest updates.

Norton Internet Security 10.4.0.13 w/latest updates
Disabling NIS does not make a difference.

--
JP

covaid hut

Dec 3, 2007, 8:06:44 PM12/3/07
Any news on this issue?

covaid hut

Jan 6, 2008, 10:32:42 PM1/6/08
vista sp1 is out, have anyone tried it and does it work?

sono

Jan 8, 2008, 9:18:00 PM1/8/08
No,I tried sp1 but it doesn't work for this bug.

W@discussions.microsoft.com Terry W

Jan 13, 2008, 11:12:00 PM1/13/08
I am also having this problem of the HTML code and pictures being displayed
as text. It seems to happen when the TO field is blank but may happen in
other circumstance. I'm running Office 2003 Outlook on a new Vista machine
that has been updated with the service pack.

Any solutions?

Thanks

Brian Tillman

Jan 14, 2008, 8:37:07 AM1/14/08
Terry W <Terry W...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am also having this problem of the HTML code and pictures being
> displayed as text. It seems to happen when the TO field is blank but
> may happen in other circumstance. I'm running Office 2003 Outlook on
> a new Vista machine that has been updated with the service pack.
>
> Any solutions?

Not yet, but Microsoft knows about it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman

Jan 16, 2008, 2:21:40 PM1/16/08
"JSmith" wrote:

> The problem occurs on messages that are sent to me with ONLY "BCC"
> addresses.
>
> When I receive the message on my Outlook 2003/XP machine, the TO
> field shows "undisclosed recipients", and the message displays
> correctly. The same message on the Outlook 2003/Vista HP machine
> has the TO field empty, and the message is displayed uninterpreted
> (with HTML codes showing for HTML messages, etc.), and with all of
> the headers displayed.

Microsoft would like me to send them screen shots of the problem and whether
or not Word is designated as the mail editor. Forward those things to me
ate the address with which I'm posting and I'll pass them on.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

covaid hut

Jan 16, 2008, 8:14:48 PM1/16/08
Brian Tillman wrote on Wed, 16 January 2008 13&#58;21

> Microsoft would like me to send them screen shots of the problem and whether
> or not Word is designated as the mail editor. Forward those things to me
> ate the address with which I'm posting and I'll pass them on.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

OK, but where is your email?

Brian Tillman

Jan 17, 2008, 9:16:34 AM1/17/08
covaid hut <cov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, but where is your email?

Look on the message header.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

covaid hut

Feb 4, 2008, 9:22:57 PM2/4/08
any news?

jbrc

Feb 5, 2008, 2:32:29 AM2/5/08
What was the original problem? I can't find any entry in the newsgroup with
this subject.
I have a problem with Outlook hanging under Vista so thought this may be the
same.

Brian Tillman

Feb 5, 2008, 8:25:31 AM2/5/08
covaid hut <cov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> any news?

Can you send me a sample as a .msg attachment? You might have to zip it up
first.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman

Feb 5, 2008, 8:25:57 AM2/5/08
jbrc <jb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Not at all the same.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

covaid hut

Mar 26, 2008, 6:49:50 AM3/26/08
any news from microsoft???

my company is facing this problem coz users are switched to vista.....

Brian Tillman

Mar 26, 2008, 7:50:53 AM3/26/08
covaid hut <cov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> any news from microsoft???
>
> my company is facing this problem coz users are switched to vista.....

The latest news from my contact at Microsoft said that because the Outlook
team can't reproduce the problem when using Outlook as both the sending
client and the receiving client, that it's not a problem and they closed the
bug report. My contact is upset by that stance and has reopened the issue.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

covaid hut

Mar 31, 2008, 12:43:03 AM3/31/08
what?
8o are they using vista plus outlook 2003 as a testing condition??

Brian Tillman

Mar 31, 2008, 9:27:06 AM3/31/08
covaid hut <cov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> what?
> 8o are they using vista plus outlook 2003 as a testing condition??

I imagine so. I have no knowledge of their testbed.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

covaid hut

Mar 31, 2008, 9:54:07 PM3/31/08
and the most important is, the problem happens when sending BCC mail(with attachments??)

feel very helpness, too bad

Brian Tillman

Apr 1, 2008, 7:54:10 AM4/1/08
covaid hut <cov...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't believe the presence of an attachment is germane.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

covaid hut

Apr 7, 2008, 8:22:41 AM4/7/08
Dear Brian ,

have u encountered this problem?

Brian Tillman

Apr 7, 2008, 9:14:30 AM4/7/08
covaid hut <cov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> have u encountered this problem?

I have not, personally (since I don't use OL 2003 on a Vista machine), but
I've no doubt it's a problem for many.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

bardo

Apr 15, 2008, 3:33:01 AM4/15/08

Have you solved?

Brian Tillman

Apr 15, 2008, 8:54:34 AM4/15/08
bardo <ba...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Have you solved?

Not yet.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Leighsa

Apr 21, 2008, 11:00:01 PM4/21/08
Brian - do you have an update from your contact?

If the reason for the lack of attention on this issue truly is that
Microsoft cannot reproduce the error, I will be happy to send them a machine
that DOES produce the error.

And an additional note that I did not see documented to this point: if you
forward the misbehaving email to someone who uses XP instead of Vista and
they forward it back to the Vista user, the html is correctly presented.

Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated

Leighsa

Leighsa

Apr 21, 2008, 11:39:00 PM4/21/08
An exact replica of the error can be found here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=1&PageID=1&PostID=849645

and the error is quite well documented all over the internet - google it.

Hopefully this will eliminate the need for screen shots.

Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated - especially by your
contact at Microsoft.

Leighsa

Brian Tillman

Apr 22, 2008, 9:29:22 AM4/22/08
Leighsa <Lei...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Brian - do you have an update from your contact?

Nope, sorry.

> If the reason for the lack of attention on this issue truly is that
> Microsoft cannot reproduce the error, I will be happy to send them a
> machine that DOES produce the error.

The most recent update I have (several weeks ago) said that the since using
Outlook on BOTH ends (sending and receiving) prevents the problem, the
Outlook team considers the problem solved. Both I and my Microsoft contact
consider that bogus.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Leighsa

Apr 22, 2008, 3:44:01 PM4/22/08
Thanks for your reply. I think I will initiate an SRX with
Microsoft.......and remind them that using Entourage or MacMail on both ends
will resolve the problem, as well.

My venom is not directed at you - I (and my 300 clients) are tired of the
whole "Vista" debacle. It makes about as much sense for Microsoft to drop XP
as it would have for Ford to drop all models but the Pinto in the '80's.

Thanks, again.

Leighsa

QDC_Juha

May 10, 2008, 10:09:01 AM5/10/08

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> The latest news from my contact at Microsoft said that because the Outlook
> team can't reproduce the problem when using Outlook as both the sending
> client and the receiving client, that it's not a problem and they closed the
> bug report. My contact is upset by that stance and has reopened the issue.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I have been experiencing this same issue since upgrading to Vista in October
and have been waiting for it to be resolved. I find the attitude of
Microsoft incomprehensible. If it is a question of a faulty specification
document or implementation by Microsoft it's only logical that the problem
might not show up between two clients using the same wrong spec. As far as I
know, e-mail is meant to be a tool to use for communicating with anyone and
everyone and not just within a legacy environment.

I recently stumbled over the same attitude when I failed to copy a large
file (2 Gb) using Vista on our Samba network. The copy had worked for
smaller file sizes, but I apparently hit some sort of a limit and it ceased
to work. A support call to Microsoft ended in the support person stating
that they cannot do anything as it is not a Microsoft network.

It's like BMW saying that we are sorry your car went off the road, but we
can't do anything, because we didn't build the road.

(The copying now works without problems on Vista over the same network after
getting a third party application to do the job.)

-- Juha

Brian Tillman

May 12, 2008, 10:23:04 AM5/12/08
QDC_Juha <QDC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have been experiencing this same issue since upgrading to Vista in
> October and have been waiting for it to be resolved. I find the
> attitude of Microsoft incomprehensible. If it is a question of a
> faulty specification document or implementation by Microsoft it's
> only logical that the problem might not show up between two clients
> using the same wrong spec. As far as I know, e-mail is meant to be a
> tool to use for communicating with anyone and everyone and not just
> within a legacy environment.

Apparently, one part of Microsoft didn't realize another part of Microsoft
found the source of the problem and created a hotfix. As far as I know, the
hotfix is not public yet, but a message describing it and how to obtain it
has been posted in one of these newsgroups, but I can't find it right now.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

QDC_Juha

May 21, 2008, 2:12:00 AM5/21/08

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Apparently, one part of Microsoft didn't realize another part of Microsoft
> found the source of the problem and created a hotfix. As far as I know, the
> hotfix is not public yet, but a message describing it and how to obtain it
> has been posted in one of these newsgroups, but I can't find it right now.

Please post information on the hotfix here when/if you find it. Thanks!

Brian Tillman

May 21, 2008, 8:57:29 AM5/21/08

It's public now. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com Earl Kilgore

May 27, 2008, 3:57:09 PM5/27/08
I appreciate all your efforts on this Brian. Unfortunately this patch does
not seem to solve the problem...at least for me. I will be interested to
learn if this works for anyone else.

I am most certainly having the same problem as everyone else running Vista
and Outlook 2003 when receiving blind copies.

WIlliams@discussions.microsoft.com Mark WIlliams

May 27, 2008, 4:18:31 PM5/27/08
Brian, have you heard anything from microsoft about a possible fix for this
issue? It's still being produced after installing the hotfix.

Thanks.

covaid hut

May 28, 2008, 2:39:32 AM5/28/08
it is ok for for my boss, he can received email with undisclosed receptient now, with the hotfix

Brian Tillman

May 28, 2008, 9:00:38 AM5/28/08
Earl Kilgore <Earl Kil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I appreciate all your efforts on this Brian. Unfortunately this
> patch does not seem to solve the problem...at least for me. I will
> be interested to learn if this works for anyone else.
>
> I am most certainly having the same problem as everyone else running
> Vista and Outlook 2003 when receiving blind copies.

Other people have reported that it does fix the issue.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman

May 28, 2008, 9:01:33 AM5/28/08
Mark WIlliams <Mark WIll...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Brian, have you heard anything from microsoft about a possible fix
> for this issue? It's still being produced after installing the
> hotfix.

Other people who installed the hotfix reported that it solved the problem.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Mark WIlliams

May 28, 2008, 10:30:01 AM5/28/08
I just recieved an email yesterday and it still has not been fixed. I have
installed the hotfix and not working. I went ahead and purchased outlook
2007, I really can't afford to keep losing emails like this. :(

Mark WIlliams

May 29, 2008, 2:05:13 PM5/29/08
Office 2007 still does not fix this problem.

QDC_Juha

Jun 4, 2008, 5:05:03 AM6/4/08
This hotfix solved the problem for me.

Jim L

Jun 26, 2008, 7:37:53 PM6/26/08
I have had the same issue of Outlook 2003 in Vista (new Dell) since Oct 2007 with BCC messages displaying in code etc.

I tried the Hotfix 951982 and I get an error code 40 ( not all files successfully unzipped) when it unzips.

Just to add to the mix of frustrations over this ongoing issue. Interesting that some did find it solved the problem though. :?

any suggestion appreciated.

Smith-Hansen@discussions.microsoft.com Ole Smith-Hansen

May 3, 2009, 4:00:26 PM5/3/09
Has anybody found a solution to this problem with Outlook 2003 on Vista. When
the recipient adress is Bcc, Outlook shows the fulle message source?

"JSmith" wrote:

> The problem occurs on messages that are sent to me with ONLY "BCC" addresses.
>
> When I receive the message on my Outlook 2003/XP machine, the TO field shows
> "undisclosed recipients", and the message displays correctly. The same
> message on the Outlook 2003/Vista HP machine has the TO field empty, and the
> message is displayed uninterpreted (with HTML codes showing for HTML
> messages, etc.), and with all of the headers displayed.
>

> This is a MAJOR problem with attachments since they come thru inline with
> the text, and in an uninterpreted maner that makes it impossible to
> reconstruct.
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22e86244-1ea3-4c9a-af2c-04740a123591&dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

May 3, 2009, 10:56:44 PM5/3/09
What antivirus do you use on the vista machine and is it scanning email?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Ole Smith-Hansen" <Ole Smith-...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:120CD63A-BBE8-4FD6...@microsoft.com...

Ole Smith-Hansen

May 4, 2009, 6:11:02 AM5/4/09
I am using F-prot which is scanning email

Karen

Jul 15, 2009, 11:24:02 AM7/15/09
After numerous attempts and much wasted time dealing with Microsoft technical
support, I believe I have finally uncovered the solution to this problem.
Here are the needed updates:

Office 2003 Service Pack 3
Update for Microsoft Windows KB957388
Update for Outlook 2003 KB953432
Outlook 2003 hotfix KB951982

You should laugh at them telling me they had never heard of this issue. I
proceeded to send them a link to their own message board documented the
problem back from the very beginning. I hope this helps everyone still
having issues.