internet security warning: cannot verify certificate

Apr 26, 2009, 11:56:01 AM4/26/09
A previous question was presented by someone using Outlook Express but I'm
using Outlook 2007 and having the same problem trying to access AOL emails
every time I open outlook. I get an internet security warning that states
"The server you are connecting to is using a security certificate that cannot
be verified. The target principal name is incorrect. I have the option to
view the certificate and I must click Yes to continue using the server to
obtain my AOL emails. IS there a way to turn this warning off or to turn off
the requirement that I click yes to proceed? Inside the certificate are all
kinds of settings/properties which look like they can be changed like
cross-certificates and OCSP's, none of which I know anything about. I just
want to be able to do something to get Outlook to stop requiring me to click
yes every time I want to check my email from AOL. The certificate itself
from AOL looks up to date. Is there something with AOL I should be doing?
THANKS in advance!!!

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Apr 26, 2009, 12:15:58 PM4/26/09
The server name does not match the certificate name, possible because the
server’s public Fully Qualified Domain Name does not match the name on the
certificate or the server name you use. Without seeing the cert, its hard
to say if you can do anything (like change from using mail.aol.com to
imap.aol.com), generally speaking AOL needs to fix the cert.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"B" <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

VanguardLH

Apr 26, 2009, 12:22:55 PM4/26/09
B wrote:

> I get an internet security warning that states "The server you are
> connecting to is using a security certificate that cannot be
> verified. The target principal name is incorrect. I have the option
> to view the certificate and I must click Yes to continue using the

> server to obtain my AOL emails. ... Is there something with AOL I
> should be doing?

So are you using SSL to connect to the mail host? If so, how off is
your time? SSL requires initial handshaking which expires (i.e., the
handshaking needs to complete quickly). I don't recall how long but if
the client and server are different by a few minutes then the
handshaking fails because it thinks the process has already expired.

SSL handshaking expires. The timestamps are used to determine
expiration. So check your date, time, timezone, and daylight savings
settings.

dadame

May 6, 2009, 5:03:00 PM5/6/09
I have opened my certificate and it states all intended uses could not be
verified.

This is pop.att.yahoo ... is there any way I can fix .. when I asked them
they said to contact Microsoft
--
Thanks very much you''ve helped me help my neighbors!