Outlook settings not stored in roaming profile

PeteL

Aug 29, 2005, 11:15:06 AM8/29/05
I'm setting up some users with Outlook 2003 and pop3 accounts but can't get
the settings stored withing the roaming profile. I've looked at the group
policy but must be missing something.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pete.

Symptoms
Server W2003 standard
PC XP SP2
build workstation, logon as user, create email account storing pst in
roaming profile,
re-build pc, logon as same user, Outlook goes through intial welcome screen
but then asks if I want to setup an internet email account.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Aug 29, 2005, 1:41:46 PM8/29/05
After you rebuild the PC, in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup\, delete the REG_BINARY registry key values FirstRun and First-Run or set the value of each one to 0.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

PeteL

Aug 30, 2005, 5:27:01 PM8/30/05
Thanks for the response Sue. I couldn't find the key. Is it possible to
setup Outlook as truly roaming when using internet email settings rather than
Exchange? I can't find any info on the Microsoft website, surely other people
do this.

Pete.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Aug 30, 2005, 7:55:25 PM8/30/05
Not really. The problem isn't the mail profile but the .pst data file(s). Storing them on a network drive isn't supported, and surely you don't want very large files copied back and forth from application data folders each time a user logs on.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"PeteL" <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43DA566F-FC92-4828...@microsoft.com...

> Thanks for the response Sue. I couldn't find the key. Is it possible to
> setup Outlook as truly roaming when using internet email settings rather than
> Exchange? I can't find any info on the Microsoft website, surely other people
> do this.
>
> Pete.
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> After you rebuild the PC, in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup\, delete the REG_BINARY registry key values FirstRun and First-Run or set the value of each one to 0.

PeteL

Aug 31, 2005, 10:08:03 AM8/31/05
I tested the pst side and found that if you create the pst on the server, the
file replication will not replicate the pst (which is as I want it), I'd have
it sorted if it wasn't for those pesky settings not roaming. I understand
that a network pst is not supported but would still like to know if it is
possible to get the settings to roam.

Any ideas, apart from moving to Exchange :-)

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Aug 31, 2005, 10:42:12 AM8/31/05
Yes, the mail account settings should roam because they're stored in the user portion of the Windows registry

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"PeteL" <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51D55C2B-09FC-45F4...@microsoft.com...

>I tested the pst side and found that if you create the pst on the server, the
> file replication will not replicate the pst (which is as I want it), I'd have
> it sorted if it wasn't for those pesky settings not roaming. I understand
> that a network pst is not supported but would still like to know if it is
> possible to get the settings to roam.
>
> Any ideas, apart from moving to Exchange :-)
>
> Pete.
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Not really. The problem isn't the mail profile but the .pst data file(s). Storing them on a network drive isn't supported, and surely you don't want very large files copied back and forth from application data folders each time a user logs on.

PeteL

Aug 31, 2005, 11:38:06 AM8/31/05
Hmm, I must be missing something. Is there a difference in the roaming
profile for exchange and internet email as it is internet email I am using.

The workstation is being built using riprep which is based on a ris image
with office (and other apps) installed after. I build the machine, logon as
outlook.test setup internet email in outlook and configure pst to work from
server and test email works. I then rebuild the pc logon as outlook.test open
Outlook it goes through a 'used for the first time' type install where you
enter your name details and then forces me to setup an email account.

Sorry for all the hassle and thanks for the responses, but if you have any
further ideas that would be great.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Aug 31, 2005, 3:22:53 PM8/31/05
All mail profile settings for Outlook 2002 or 2003 are stored in the same Windows Messaging Subsystem key. I can't explain what you're seeing, but I know nothing about riprep or ris. However, I don't see anything in your description to indicate that roaming Windows profiles are, in fact, enabled for the Outlook.test user.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"PeteL" <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABB9F692-11BA-4D1A...@microsoft.com...

> Hmm, I must be missing something. Is there a difference in the roaming
> profile for exchange and internet email as it is internet email I am using.
>
> The workstation is being built using riprep which is based on a ris image
> with office (and other apps) installed after. I build the machine, logon as
> outlook.test setup internet email in outlook and configure pst to work from
> server and test email works. I then rebuild the pc logon as outlook.test open
> Outlook it goes through a 'used for the first time' type install where you
> enter your name details and then forces me to setup an email account.
>
> Sorry for all the hassle and thanks for the responses, but if you have any
> further ideas that would be great.
>
> Pete.
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, the mail account settings should roam because they're stored in the user portion of the Windows registry

PeteL

Sep 1, 2005, 5:20:04 AM9/1/05
Well I can't believe that I missed that. I'd setup folder redirection using
group policy but hadn't actually put in a profile path for the user. Well
that's one mistake I'll never repeat.

Thanks for your patience, and continued response.