Outlook creating "outlook calendar" and "outlook contact" folders

KP99

Apr 23, 2007, 9:34:02 PM4/23/07
I keep getting these "outlook calendar" and "outlook contact" folders created
in my documents folders whenever I save an attachment from email OR send an
email with an attachment of my own. The folders are empty. This started
recently when I was saving .pst folders as backups of my Outlook info because
I was having big problems with my laptop. I've now migrated to a new laptop
with Vista and Office 2007, and I'm getting the same problem. I have no idea
why it's doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

F.H. Muffman

Apr 23, 2007, 10:42:49 PM4/23/07
"KP99" <KP...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks to a previous poster, the problem actually comes from the MediaDirect
AddIn that Dell installs by default.

Full quote: "Ok, after more digging this morning, I did confirm that this
is related to
the OutlookAddin from Cyberlink. This addin is for the MediaDirect program
included on Dell systems. The issue is that the addin is pulling your
calendar and contact data over for use in MediaDirect (notice any lag/CPU
spikes while you're in Outlook?). If you're not looking at that info in MD,
then you can remove this addin by going to the setup here:

Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\OLAddin\

Run the setup file and remove the addin. I was not able to disable the
addin through Outlook, so this is the route I had to take. I've just tested
this in Outlook 2007 by saving attachments and creating them, and no more
folder creation. Also, I've noticed a difference in the lag on my typing.

I didn't find this solution on Dell's support site--I found it on the
Notebookreview.com forums and it seems to date back to November 2006.
Someone on there noted they talked to Dell support and it was recommended to
remove MD until a fix was out. I bought my laptop in March 2007 and it's
still doing it, so I guess it's not addressed. But, good news is that you
can just remove the addin. "
--
f.h.

KP99

Apr 23, 2007, 11:04:02 PM4/23/07
Hallelujah... that did it. Thank you so much for your fast response. I had
been searching the web and couldn't find this anywhere.

KP