RE: Hyperlink Error. General Failure. The Parameter is incorrect.

iwb65

Apr 15, 2009, 12:42:01 PM4/15/09
I guess I should have provided a bit more detail. I am using XP Pro, IE7 and
Outlook 2007.

I am glad/sorry to see that I am not the only one with this problem. What
is frustrating is that this should not be a difficult problem to solve. I am
loathe to downgrade to IE6 and until the security bugs are worked out of IE8
I am loathe to upgrade.

Anyone else have solutions?

"swestin1" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. I had IE7 for a while, I installed some Windows
> updates and then couldn't open OUtlook 2007 at all. It said it couldn't open
> default folders and kept closing. Then I uninstalled IE7, reverting back to
> ie6 and could open Outlook again, but the started having this problem, where
> I couldn't click any links. This this is a Microsoft forum, I'd like to know
> why Microsoft program are screwing each other up. And I need this fixed. It's
> really annoying to keep having to copy and paste emails and URL's into my
> address bar for the links to work.
>
> "Rkennington" wrote:
>
> > I work at a university, and we have a handful of users across campus that are
> > having this problem. We use IE7 with Office Professional 2007. I tried
> > recreating local profiles, reimaging computers, swapping computers, but
> > nothing worked. We had some luck adding a batch file to run at startup that
> > reset the default browser, but were still getting complaints. About a month
> > ago I installed IE8 release candidate on one of the computers, and the user
> > hasn't complained since.
> >
> > I've had a couple of seemingly unrelated issues that were all solved by
> > either downgrading back to IE6 or upgrading to IE8. I have a hard time
> > believing that we're the only ones having issues with IE7, but I haven't seen
> > any widespread complaints about IE7 being buggy in my searches.
> >
> > "iwb65" wrote:
> >
> > > When clicking on links contained in emails I receive the following error
> > > message:
> > >
> > > "General Failure. The URL was: "http:********" The Parameter is incorrect."
> > >
> > > If I cut and paste the URL it works fine.
> > >
> > > I have seen other smiliar questions that have to do with a response of
> > > "Can't find Application" but not with the "parameter" response.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?

bmunzz

May 22, 2009, 6:04:01 PM5/22/09
i have ie8 and i have the same problem. Its been going on for about a month.
when i click on a hyperlink, i get "parameter is incorrect", I have to copy
the hyperlink, paste it in the address space, and delete the "blocked" at the
beginning. This problem is very frustrating and if their was another mail
program i liked i'd switch. any answers to this problem?????
--
William e Munsey

ITSTechScott

Jun 10, 2009, 12:25:01 PM6/10/09
I didn't see anybody else mention either of these solutions - if they did,
sorry for the double-entry.

We had a user that had this problem, and Solution 1 was used repeatedly to
fix it - I've seen a lot of people post that this is the fix to the problem,
but it was only temporary for us. Hopefully #2 works better.

Solution 1:
-Add/Remove programs
-Set Program Access and Defaults
-Custom tab
-Make sure a default browser is selected

Solution 2:
-Add/Remove Programs
-Select the MS Office 2007 item
-Click Change
-Click Repair

Solution 2 may or may not be permanent - just tried it today, so it may fail
yet.