Launch in Work Offline Mode?

solon fox

Jun 12, 2008, 1:16:00 PM6/12/08
Is there a way to start Outlook immediately in Work Offline mode
without going through that "Connecting To Microsoft Exchange" and
'Microsoft Exchange is unavailable' message?

I know that I'm offline already. I know that I want to work offline
and that the exchange server can't be reached on this particular
network. Why should I have to wait for the connection to fail and then
tell it "Work Offline?"

I want to tell it to Start in Work Offline mode when I know the
Exchange Server cannot be reached. There must be a command shortcut
that I can create to tell it to work offline and not waste time trying
to reach the unreachable.

Thanks,
-solon fox

Roady [MVP]

Jun 12, 2008, 2:13:44 PM6/12/08
Outlook 2003 supports /nopollmail

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"solon fox" <solo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

solon fox

Jun 12, 2008, 2:29:59 PM6/12/08
So? How do you use it? This is Outlook 2007. Why leave me to just
guess? Your links aren't any help either. :-/

Do I create a shortcut to outlook.exe /nopollmail or what?

-solon fox

On Jun 12, 2:13 pm, "Roady [MVP]"

<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:
> Outlook 2003 supports /nopollmail
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003http://www.howto-outlook.com/

> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>

> "solon fox" <solon...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > Is there a way to start Outlook immediately in Work Offline mode
> > without going through that "Connecting To Microsoft Exchange" and
> > 'Microsoft Exchange is unavailable' message?
>
> > I know that I'm offline already. I know that I want to work offline
> > and that the exchange server can't be reached on this particular
> > network. Why should I have to wait for the connection to fail and then
> > tell it "Work Offline?"
>
> > I want to tell it to Start in Work Offline mode when I know the
> > Exchange Server cannot be reached. There must be a command shortcut
> > that I can create to tell it to work offline and not waste time trying
> > to reach the unreachable.
>
> > Thanks,

> > -solon fox- Hide quoted text -

Roady [MVP]

Jun 12, 2008, 3:18:05 PM6/12/08
Same question to you? Why leave us guess?
Outlook 2007 doesn't support that switch.

When Outlook 2007 cannot find the Exchange server, it will automatically
switch to Offline Mode. There is no need to confirm any prompts. At what
time do you get your prompts?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"solon fox" <solo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

solon fox

Jun 12, 2008, 4:08:47 PM6/12/08
Why isn't waiting for Outlook to poll an Exchange Server that isn't
there and isn't going to be there and then having to tell it to work
offline isn't acceptable?

Because, I don't like waiting for it and I want to bypass it - just
like I said in the OP!!!

I appreciate the tip, but all the same even if I were using Outlook
2003 your tip was less than helpful. Since you failed to explain how
to use it and still have not acknowledged my guess at what you meant.
I've come to expect better tips from an MVP. If you're rushed or don't
have the time, don't reply. If you do reply, then take the time to
understand what is asked and clearly explain how to do what you
suggest. </rant>

My question remains: How to start Outlook 2007 in offline mode so that
it does NOT poll for an Exchange Server that I already know cannot be
reached? The delay waiting for no response is unacceptable -
obviously, I already know how to click the "Work Offline" button
_after_ it fails. I want to know how to avoid it in the first place.

If you knew the answer, then you would have given it the first time.
If you want to say that it can't be done, that's fine, but it seems
like you don't know how.

-solon fox

On Jun 12, 3:18 pm, "Roady [MVP]"

<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:
> Same question to you? Why leave us guess?
> Outlook 2007 doesn't support that switch.
>
> When Outlook 2007 cannot find the Exchange server, it will automatically
> switch to Offline Mode. There is no need to confirm any prompts. At what
> time do you get your prompts?
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

Roady [MVP]

Jun 12, 2008, 4:44:04 PM6/12/08
To say "it can't be done for Outlook 2007" I first needed to know your
version. Obviously you didn't get the hint in my second reply once you
finally stated your Outlook version. Why else propose a workaround?

You asked for a command line switch in your OP so I assumed you knew how
command line switches work. Anyway;
outlook.exe /nopoll
The following works as well
outlook.exe /safe:2

But again; that is for Outlook 2003. Outlook 2007 doesn't need that switch
as it won't throw an error that needs to be confirmed when the server cannot
be found after launch, nor does it require you to wait. Whether that is a
pretty solution or not I will leave up to your to decide. If you feel that
is unacceptable then you should provide your feedback by contacting
Microsoft Support directly.

Therefore, with above behavior in mind, my return question was (which you
didn't answer either);

At what time do you get your prompts?

If you don't post in detail, we can't reply in detail either. There is no
way that we can look over your shoulder from here.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"solon fox" <solo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

solon fox

Jun 12, 2008, 10:35:08 PM6/12/08
Roady,

First of all, my apologies, indeed I did not mention the version, nor
did you mention that the option to pass the argument was not available
in the most current version. Yours is at times a thankless effort and
I should have specified that this is Outlook 2007 with SP1 running on
Vista Ultimate SP1 with all MS Office 2007 updates and all available
Vista updates applied. I do appreciate the efforts any who try to help
and of all the MVP's, including you. So, truce and no need for you to
further defend yourself. It was my mistake.

I can only infer from your comments that Outlook 2007 is supposed to
be network aware.

There are two scenarios: scenario 1, disconnected from all networks
(Exchange Server unavailable); and scenario 2, connected to the
Internet (Exchange Server unavailable).

Scenario 1, I don't really care about because I am nearly always
connected to either a private network, the Internet or both. Scenario
1 only exists because I perceive that you are inferring that no prompt
should exist, yet it does. Scenario 2 is my scenario, which I do care
about very much.

In both scenarios, he throws the same two errors, event ID 34 and
event ID 35. The difference is that in scenario 2 (connected to the
Internet) he throws event ID 35 seven times! In scenario 1 (no network
connections) he throws event ID 34 and 35 once each.

In scenario 1, the wait time is a few seconds before the prompt
presents: Exchange Server Unavailable; Retry, Work Offline, Cancel.

In scenario 2, the wait time is extended to > 40 seconds.

I don't want errors thrown and I don't want to wait. I want to tell
him to work offline at launch so as not to be bothered.

Below are one each of the errors (although, the second error, event ID
35, occurs seven times in scenario 2).
ERROR 1
Log Name: Application
Source: Outlook
Date: 6/12/2008 5:27:46 PM
Event ID: 34
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Failed to get the Crawl Scope Manager with error=0x8001010d.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Outlook" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">34</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>69549</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>XXXXXXX</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>0x8001010d</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

ERROR 2
Log Name: Application
Source: Outlook
Date: 6/12/2008 5:27:46 PM
Event ID: 35
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Failed to determine if the store is in the crawl scope
(error=0x8001010d).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Outlook" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">35</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>69550</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>XXXXXXXX</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>0x8001010d</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

-solon fox

On Jun 12, 4:44 pm, "Roady [MVP]"

<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:
> To say "it can't be done for Outlook 2007" I first needed to know your
> version. Obviously you didn't get the hint in my second reply once you
> finally stated your Outlook version. Why else propose a workaround?
>
> You asked for a command line switch in your OP so I assumed you knew how
> command line switches work. Anyway;
> outlook.exe /nopoll
> The following works as well
> outlook.exe /safe:2
>
> But again; that is for Outlook 2003. Outlook 2007 doesn't need that switch
> as it won't throw an error that needs to be confirmed when the server cannot
> be found after launch, nor does it require you to wait. Whether that is a
> pretty solution or not I will leave up to your to decide. If you feel that
> is unacceptable then you should provide your feedback by contacting
> Microsoft Support directly.
>
> Therefore, with above behavior in mind, my return question was (which you
> didn't answer either);
> At what time do you get your prompts?
>
> If you don't post in detail, we can't reply in detail either. There is no
> way that we can look over your shoulder from here.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/