Re: Change contact type from EX to SMTP

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Mar 17, 2008, 5:46:31 AM3/17/08
That is an Exchange question, not an Outlook question.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Krykino" <Kry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to convert all the contacts from EX from SMTP according to
> the
> global address list?

Krykino

Mar 17, 2008, 9:26:01 PM3/17/08
I think it is an outlook question. Now i'm using outlook 2003. If i'm out of
office, I was unable to check name using the global address list. If I choose
an user in the global address list and add to contact, EX (address type)
would appear in the contact instead of SMTP. So I need to know the way to
make all the addresses in the global address list change to SMTP after add in
contact. I've read an article:
http://kamhungsoh.com/blog/2007/07/outlook-change-email-address-type.html.
According to the article, I need to do it one by one. Is there a way that it
will automatically change to SMTP and without doing it one by one?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Mar 17, 2008, 9:35:44 PM3/17/08
Think what you want. The GAL is in the AD and solely within Exchanges'
domain.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Krykino" <Kry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

TLSebastian

Apr 25, 2008, 2:50:05 PM4/25/08
I'd like to do the same thing. Is there a formula or macro you can write in
Excel? And do I really have to post this to the Excel forum to get an answer
if the problem originates with how Outlook handles Exchange information?

--
Trisha L. Sebastian
Research Assistant, Brown Harris Stevens

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Apr 25, 2008, 3:02:54 PM4/25/08
There is no way to actually change Exchange entries in the GAL from EX to
SMTP. To get the SMTP address for a contact from the GAL you need to write
code. The code for versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2007 can't use
the Outlook object model, it would have to use CDO 1.21 or Extended MAPI
(C++ or Delphi only) or the Redemption library (www.dimastr.com/redemption).
For Outlook 2007 code you can use the PropertyAccessor object to access the
properties you need.

That won't change the addresses it will just return the SMTP address for the
EX address. After the code is run the GAL entries will still be the same.

There is sample code at www.cdolive.com/cdo5.htm for getting the SMTP
address using CDO 1.21, the Redemption Web site has samples for Redemption.

Programming questions should really be asked in
microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"TLSebastian" <TLSeb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

JohnSul

May 20, 2008, 3:01:13 PM5/20/08
I was doing a search for the same thing (change EX to SMTP). These posts
gave me some ideas on how to do it. So I just did it successfully. Here's
how:

(This only works if your EX contacts have the email address embedded in the
DisplayAs field. That is "John Smith (jsm...@abc.com)"

1. Export all your contacts to Excel.
2. In Excel, insert 3 or 4 columns after EmailType field.
3. In one of these inserted columns, extract the email address as text from
the DisplayAs field. Assuming the DisplayAs is stored in cell BH4, I simply
did this:
=MID(BH4,FIND("(",BH4)+1,(FIND(")",BH4)-FIND("(",BH4))-1)
This will give you just "jsm...@abc.com"
4. In another free column, just do ="smtp:"& bh4
5. Copy this final column and overwrite your EmailAddress column by pasting
values. In other words, overwrite the garbage shown in the EmailAddress
column with proper email addresses with the smtp prefix.
6. Delete any columns you added.
7. Save the file.
8. In Outlook, import the newly created file into your contacts list being
sure to check that you want to overwrite duplicates.
9. This will change the format of all of these contacts to SMTP from EX.
10. The only problem now is that all of the email addresses have "smtp:" in
front of them. But this is easy to fix now because you just export the
contacts to Excel again, but this time the "EmailAddress" field will not
contain garbage.
11. Select the EmailAddress column and do a search and replace (search for
"smtp:" and replace with nothing.
12. Save the file, then import it back into your Outlook contacts
(overwrite duplicates).
13. You are done.

Mine worked perfectly.