Robert, is this a bug?

Tom

Jan 28, 2003, 10:34:50 AM1/28/03
I'm having issues when I import a comma separated values
file into Outlook, specifically into Contacts it will not
list the Company and then contacts first and last name. It
only lists there first name and last name with no company.
Now I can fix this by going into each contact and clicking
File As: and select Company (first, last) and it will then
sort the address cards by Company, and show the first and
last name on the second line and that's how we want it.
But Outlook will not allow it without having me change it
on each one individually. This looks like some sort of bug.

Under Tools, Options., Contact Options., under select the
default setting for how to file new contacts: Default file
as order is set to Company (Last, First) which would be
fine but when I create a new contacts folder, set the
options for Company (Last, First) and import the .CSV file
they only show up with Contacts First and Last name, No
Company on the address card and that's how we would like
them organized for our sales reps.

If I add a new Contact it will sort the Contact by Company
(Last, First) but not when I import the .CSV file.

Here's the exact procedure that I'm using to import
the .CSV files:

1. Right-click on that attachment and save it to a
location on your hard drive (example: C:\Temp folder)
2. Open Outlook, Highlight your Contacts folder
3. Click File, Import and Export
4. Import from another program or file, next
5. Comma Separated Values (Windows), next
6. Browse to wherever you saved the .CSV file
(example: C:\Temp folder) and double-click the file
7. Caution with this step: You need to decide how you
want to import, options are: Replace duplicates with items
imported, Allow duplicates to be created, or Do not import
duplicate items, next
8. Where it says select destination folder, make sure
that you have your Contacts folder highlighted, next
9. Check the box next to Import "peteweinberg.csv"
into folder Contacts
10. This is where you get to map the custom fields,
all you need to do is drag the values from the source file
on the left, and drop them on the appropriate destination
field on the right. (Map exactly as follows)
11. Customer name - company
12. Click the plus next to business address:
13. Customer street - business street
14. Customer city - business city
15. Customer state - business state
16. Customer zip - business postal
17. 1st number - business phone
18. 2nd number - business fax
19. Customer number - notes
20. Contact person name - name
21. Click the plus next to home address
22. Contact person street - home street
23. Contact person city - home city
24. Contact person state - home state
25. Contact person zip - home postal zip
26. Contact person 1st number - home phone
27. Contact person 2nd number - home fax
28. Contacts E-mail - Email (You may need to click
next on the left side to find a Contact with Email listed
29. Customer - Categories
30. Click ok, Click finish

If I can provide you with any further information to help
with this issue just let me know.

Thanks

Robert Crayk [Outlook MVP]

Jan 28, 2003, 11:14:52 AM1/28/03
Dont know if you mean me but could you email to me the csv (or a test csv
that shows the same behaviour) and your version of Outlook
"Tom" <tmu...@midwestsignandscreen.com> wrote in message

Robert Crayk [Outlook MVP]

Jan 28, 2003, 7:10:17 PM1/28/03
Tom,

I have tried importing this file into 4 different machines and 3 different
versions of Outlook and it will not get past the map field dialogue. I can
import it into Outlook Express and then into Outlook no problem but still
with the File As problem. I have removed all mapping *.adr files still no
joy. What I will say is that the csv you sent me is not the typical csv for
importing into the Contacts folder. But regardless of all this it does seem
that the import ignores the File As field.

There's a couple of ways to get around this, one way is to customise the
view, downside of this is that it doesn't sort properly in all views. One
other way is to programmatically change the File As field here is a article
that shows how with an example
http://support.microsoft.com?scid=kb;EN-US;Q269172 its for Outlook 2000 but
should prove okay for 2002. This code shouldn't kick in the Object Security
Guard (thanks Sue).