Stand alone Outlook 2007 can't export......FAE.dll error message

Teddy...@bellsouth.net

Mar 23, 2008, 1:25:12 PM3/23/08
When I decided in November, 2007 that I was going to get an iPhone in
Spring, 2008 my research showed that I could no longer use Lotus
Organizer. Never having installed Outlook from my Office 2003 H/S, I
marched out and purchased Outlook 2007 stand alone, installed it on my
2 year old HP and went to work copying manually, all my contacts,
appointments, etc.

Purchased my iPhone last week and of course, it won't sync with
Outlook. After four days (literally) on the phone with Apple and
Microsoft Research Techs, the problem is NOT solved. However, trying
for a workaround, it was decided several days ago to export my
contacts to Windows Address Book and then sync the iPhone with WAB
(which works). However, when we try to export I get the following
message:

TRANSLATION ERROR
An error has occurred in the Microsoft Office Outlook Translator while
initializing a translator to build a field map.

Internal Error: Unable to load File Access Engine (.FAE) DLL,
additional
Outlook translators can be instaled from the Valupack."

The Microsoft Research Tech says MS is 'working on that error message
but they don't know what causes it. Many people have it'.

Any insight here? I am running Windows XP Home, installed by the
factory on my HP when I purchased it. Office 2003 H/S (Word, Excel &
Powerpoint) - Outlook 2003 was NEVER installed.
Outlook Express did come on this machine when I bought it but I never
even used it. The MS tech says it is part of the OS.

Thanks,

TeddyMaude

Diane Poremsky {MVP}

Mar 25, 2008, 12:23:43 AM3/25/08
I don't have a retail version but the Outlook live version does not include
export capabilities. no idea why.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

<Teddy...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Jim5941

Apr 4, 2008, 4:12:25 PM4/4/08
Teddy:

I have the same / similar issue and spend several HOURS on the phone
with MS today and got mmmmmmmm not very far.
The best they could suggest was to uninstall Office 2007, erase the
related file folders and registry keys then re-install.
Sigh............

I DID learn how to break a system that is working correctly... so
maybe this is a hint....

If you go to:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\CONVERT

and then rename/remove the file called OLTASK.FAE then boom it breaks;
put file back it works again (assuming it worked before that is....)

My file was dated 10/26/2006 with size of 81K I substituted the same
file from another system, but no improvement....

Have you had any luck?

Thanks,
JW

Jim5941

Apr 18, 2008, 7:21:37 AM4/18/08
On Mar 23, 1:25 pm, TeddyMa...@bellsouth.net wrote:

Hey Teddy ... if I tell you the answer will you send me $5 for a beer
or two?
Just kidding ....
With some help I figured it out .... for me it turned out that my
MAPI32.DLL file was not the standard Microsoft issued version. I use
Eudora, and by default it replaces the MAPI32.DLL and MAPI.DLL file
with its own version. It is very strange that the ONLY apparent bad
result if this is the inability to handle CSV files in Outlook, but
that was the only manifestation of the problem for me...

Anyway... go to your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and check the
properties of your MAPI32.DLL and MAPI.DLL files.
If they are NOT owned by Microsoft (company listed) is Qualcomm or
some other company like Lotus ... that is your problem... Actually
Microsoft themselves also created "alternative" MAPI DLLs that also
cause the problem.

This MS KB addresses a slightly different "problem" but the resolution
listed can fix your problem as well... at least if it was like
mine ;-)

If it works, bring on the beer ;-)
Jim