Re: Address Book Format vs Contacts

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jun 2, 2006, 11:18:20 AM6/2/06
Nothing has changed in Outlook 2007. You probably just haven't configured
the Outlook Address Book yet. It's the same as all other recent versions.
Your statement that it is "not in Contact format makes no sense. Explain
what you mean.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dstubb" <dst...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having upgraded Office 2000 to 2007 Beta 2, and now using Outlook 2007, am
> wondering why address book can not be sorted by last name first? Also,
> why
> is it not in contact format?

dstubb

Jun 2, 2006, 11:39:02 AM6/2/06
When I previously opened the Outlook 2000's address book, I would get a
"window" which opened up with the heading of "Address Book". Under this
heading I had the normal: File; Edit; Tools & Help. Also, under all this
then I had on the left column the heading "Contacts", in the right column I
then had "Name (last name first),; E-mail address; Business phone & Home
Phone". This window also had "New; Properties; Delete; Find People; Print &
Action". Thus my concerns, why doesn't it appear as the old 2000 address
book?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jun 2, 2006, 3:06:29 PM6/2/06
It does. You probably weren't using the Outlook Address Book before if you
were using IMO mode of Outlook 2000. Were you?
In all current versions of the Outlook Address Book, go to Tools > E-mail
accounts > View or change existing directories or address books > Outlook
Address Book > Change. > Set your sort order there

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dstubb" <dst...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dstubb

Jun 2, 2006, 5:56:01 PM6/2/06
Thanks - I now have my listees within my address book in last name format,
BUT! There is duplications of some names, as if there were two phone numbers
listed in the contact box for an individual or a secondary e-mail listing,
the name becomes shown again. It is not at all like my 2000 address book.
Your inquiry about IMO mode - I'm not familiar with that
acronym/abbreviation. Can you elaborate more, please, and how do I correct
all the reduntancy as is now showing in my address book?

dstubb

Jun 2, 2006, 7:01:01 PM6/2/06
IMO = Internet Mail,,,,, yes!

dstubb

Jun 2, 2006, 10:36:01 PM6/2/06
I guess my address book then was as you state, IMO. I really liked using
that format as my e-mails were addressed to an individual, not an individual
plus their internet address as well. How can I utilize that format with
Outlook 2007?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jun 3, 2006, 7:23:05 AM6/3/06
That's not a duplication at all. The Outlook Address Book is designed to
show all electronic addresses a Contact has It's much more useful than
showing only one.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dstubb" <dst...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jun 3, 2006, 7:23:57 AM6/3/06
That is the format most users prefer. If you want to change it back the
familiar name only, then change the Display As field for each Contact.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dstubb" <dst...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dstubb

Jun 3, 2006, 9:13:01 AM6/3/06
Thanks for your reply - in order that I don't screw Outlook up (like I did
last evening), what steps should be taken to change the address book back to
look like my old 2000 version (IMO)?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jun 3, 2006, 9:58:31 AM6/3/06
Please reread my post. I never said you could do that. I said you could
change the Display As field for each Contact to the format you want.
You were never using the Outlook Address Book before. You were using the
Windows Address Book. If you want to use the Windows Address Book, use
Outlook Express.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dstubb" <dst...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dstubb

Jun 3, 2006, 10:20:01 AM6/3/06
Thus to close this case out, even though my other PC in my home-office which
is still running Office 2000, Outlook in that software package has the
address book as I desire - Outlook 2007 is not capable, and the cure is to
start using Outlook Express?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Jun 3, 2006, 11:15:59 AM6/3/06
This has not been an issue for years. No version of Outlook ever used the
Windows Address Book except the temporary IMO mode of Outlook 2000. The
Outlook Address Book has never been subject to user configuration and has
never been developed as the preferred interface for recipient selection. All
development has gone into Contact Folders, their views, and autocompletion
for that purpose.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dstubb" <dst...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

blixtgo

Mar 10, 2007, 7:31:09 PM3/10/07
Dear Mr Valentine,

I am very interested in this thread because I just happen to be one of your
users who has made the same mistake as Mr Dstubb, I have used the wronfg
address book on my Outllok 2000 without ever realizing it was wrong. The
developers never told me that they were introducing that address book just
temporarily and now I have hundreds of contacts in it and I don't know how to
move them into my new computer running Outlook 2007.

I am ever so disappointed in the way you handled this issue and also in the
way you treated your customer and my fellow user, Mr Dstubb. You more or less
terrorized Mr Dstubb and my only conclusion is that you wanted him to appear
to be a useless idiot and wanted yourself to appear as a knowing expert . You
can snow non-experts by using arcane three-letter abbreviations.

If the forum moderator allows this post I would appreciate a reply from
you. Thank you.

/blixtgo

Brian Tillman

Mar 10, 2007, 8:52:54 PM3/10/07
blixtgo <bli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am very interested in this thread because I just happen to be one
> of your users who has made the same mistake as Mr Dstubb, I have used
> the wronfg address book on my Outllok 2000 without ever realizing it
> was wrong. The developers never told me that they were introducing
> that address book just temporarily and now I have hundreds of
> contacts in it and I don't know how to move them into my new computer
> running Outlook 2007.

I'm not Russ, but I may be able to answer. SInce the WIndows Address Book
is also used by Outlook Express, if you have your old PC configured with
both OE and Outlook, you shouold be able to import the WAB into the PST with
File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses (I think that
exists in OL 2000 IMO). This will get the contacts into the PST, which you
can then take to the OL 2007 system.

> I am ever so disappointed in the way you handled this issue and also
> in the way you treated your customer and my fellow user, Mr Dstubb.
> You more or less terrorized Mr Dstubb and my only conclusion is that
> you wanted him to appear to be a useless idiot and wanted yourself to
> appear as a knowing expert . You can snow non-experts by using arcane
> three-letter abbreviations.

Russ has a day job. If you don't like how he volunteers his time to answer
Outlook questions, you always have the option of disregarding his responses.
If you want to solve a problem, however, you'll spend a week or so reading
this newsgroup and his answers in particular, if you want to learn a ton
about Outlook and what it can (and cannot) do.

> If the forum moderator allows this post I would appreciate a reply
> from you.

This is an unmoderated forum. You can say what you like.
--
Brian Tillman

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Mar 10, 2007, 8:55:34 PM3/10/07
Apparently you have no understanding of how peer to peer groups work on
USENET. The thread to which you are trying to respond expired a long time
ago, and you failed to quote enough of it for us even to know what you are
trying to ask.

If you have a new question (and you do) post it clearly enough for someone
to know what it is. The fact that Outlook 2000 IMO used the Windows Address
Book service has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to transfer Outlook
data from one installation to another. We have made countless posts on how
that is done. Read them. Or read the Help files. Or read the KB. This is not
secret information, and you are not helpless.

"Terrorized?" Oh my. I have never seen such an overreaction.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"blixtgo" <bli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

blixtgo

Mar 12, 2007, 1:41:13 PM3/12/07
"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> I'm not Russ, but I may be able to answer. SInce the WIndows Address Book
> is also used by Outlook Express, if you have your old PC configured with
> both OE and Outlook, you shouold be able to import the WAB into the PST with
> File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses (I think that
> exists in OL 2000 IMO). This will get the contacts into the PST, which you
> can then take to the OL 2007 system.

> Russ has a day job. If you don't like how he volunteers his time to answer
> Outlook questions, you always have the option of disregarding his responses.
> If you want to solve a problem, however, you'll spend a week or so reading
> this newsgroup and his answers in particular, if you want to learn a ton
> about Outlook and what it can (and cannot) do.

> Brian Tillman

Hello Brian,

Thank you. Your explanation was clear and easy to understand. I have moved
the contents of my Office 2000 address book to the contacts folder in Office
2007 on my new computer by following the procedure you sketched out.

Regarding your reply to my comments about how Russ treated the user who
opened this thread, I would prefer to continue to believe my original thesis:
Mr Russ wrote in a demeaning way that turns me off. I have met a number of
know-it-alls who indeed are brilliant subject experts and who have disciples
who dote on them but who have major problems relating to ordinary people like
me presumably because they think we are slow, uninformed, and unintelligent.
Mr Russ, if you are listening, I can tell you that I became extremely upset
while reading your exchange above, because I have had similar exchanges (in
person not in a forum) that have scarred me for life. My advice is, try to
treat all your users with respect, perhaps by studying how others do it if
you're not sure what I mean.

Respectfully,

/blixtgo