Contacts will not show up in address book

1 view

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 4:22:55 PM5/15/03
this is really strange, I have about 5 Contacts folders, when I compose a
new message I normally click on To... select a address book and then click
on the name I want, today I imported a new address book from a CVS file,
the import was successful I can see all the new contacts, but when I select
that address book while composing a message its empty, there is about 200
names in that address book, if I click on the Contact folder I see all the
names, but it will not show up while composing a message, I see the address
book but no names. Also I'm using the outlook address book with Winfax
(winfax is integrated with outlook), and of course the same thing is
happening with Winfax, I print a fax, select the address book, but zero
names show up.

Thanks for any help

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

May 15, 2003, 4:52:31 PM5/15/03
It is not unusual for the Outlook Address Book to "lose track" of the
connection to its Contacts Folder when you move or import your PST or update
your Outlook version or OS. Use the following steps to reset the connection,
depending on your Outlook version. Note that in some instances you may
actually have to remove the Outlook Address Book completely from your
Profile, close Outlook, and then re-add it before you can get it to work.

Outlook 2000, Corp/Workgroup:
Go to Tools > Services. Make sure the Outlook Address Book service is
listed. If not, add it. Next, R click on the Contact folder or folders you
want the OAB to display, choose "Properties", go to the Outlook Address Book
tab and check the "Show this folder as an E-mail address book" box. You may
also need to go to Tools > Options > Addressing Tab and choose to show your
Contacts folder.

Outlook 2002:
Go to Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or
address books > Outlook Address Book. If it is not listed, back up one step
and add it. If it is, then click on Change. to make sure the Contacts
folder(s) you want to display are listed. You may need to enable the
Contacts Folder as an e-mail address book by R clicking the Folder >
Properties and check the "Show this folder as an E-mail address book" box.
Make sure you restart Outlook after making these changes.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeff Mackeny" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 5:03:38 PM5/15/03
Yes its listed, now what?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <rus...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 5:07:12 PM5/15/03
I have completely removed Outlook address book and then added it back in
still no luck, all other folders are showing all Contacts but this is one is
showing empty

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 5:17:17 PM5/15/03
oh I forgot its Outlook 2002

"Jeff Mackeny" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

May 15, 2003, 5:23:04 PM5/15/03
You're leaving out too many of details for anyone to troubleshoot your
problems. "This one is showing empty?"
What is "this one," how was it created, , where is it "showing empty" and
how did you do this import?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 5:27:38 PM5/15/03
I found this article from Microsoft and according tot he article it should
show, but just for your information, the contacts does not have an email
address but it has a business Fax, it has a fax number and I want to use it
with WinFax, here is some text from this article

"If there is not an e-mail address or a fax number, Outlook does not display
this contact in your address book when you try to address an e-mail message
or fax message"

OL2002: Contact Information Does Not Appear in Address Book
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563

"Jeff Mackeny" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 6:02:07 PM5/15/03
it was imported from a CSV file that I have created, it had 2 fields,
"Company name and "Fax number", the import is 100% successful. ok now I have
4 contact folders, lets name it
"contact1-contact2-contact3-contact4-contact5" I have imported the CSV file
to "contect5" the company field I mapped to Company and the Fax number filed
I mapped to business fax. now when I access the outlook address book either
trough the address book icon, or by using the To... button, or using WinFax,
it will always show all folder contact1-contact2-contact3-contact4-contact5,
but contact5 will have zero entries, if I select the contact5 folder within
the outlook folder list everything shows up fine.

Ok the problem is defiantly related to the import, because I have created a
few names manually in contect5, I just entered the company name and fax
number and it showed only those few names, the question is what went wrong
with the import, I have done this a zillion times, I mean the imported names
look identical to the manually created names when I look at the actual
folder within outlook folder list, also ScanPst didn't do anything

The Version is Outlook 2002 SP-2

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <rus...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

May 15, 2003, 6:15:20 PM5/15/03
That would narrow it down to two possibilities that I can think of off the
top of my head:
1. The mapping did not occur to the correct field (easier to do than you
might think)
2. The phone number format is not one that Outlook recognizes, so the
Contacts have no electronic address and will not show up in the Outlook
Address Book. Are these fax numbers resolved when you look at them in the
Contact Record?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeff Mackeny" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 6:34:28 PM5/15/03
that's interesting, I mean I look on the names as I type, I see 200+ entries
all of them show the company name and Business Fax and the fax number is in
the normal format (123) 555-1234, I import almost everyday from updated CSV
files that I receive it works everytime, unless maybe something got screwed
up and although I see it the fax number in the Business Fax filed its not
actually there for the way outlook sees it, if it makes any sense

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <rus...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

May 15, 2003, 6:57:57 PM5/15/03
Not sure I understand what you mean by "I see it the fax number in the

Business Fax filed its not
actually there for the way outlook sees it."
What I'm interested in knowing is whether the fax number is resolved (i.e.,
underlined) when you open an Contact and look at the Fax field.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeff Mackeny" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Jeff Mackeny

May 15, 2003, 7:13:56 PM5/15/03
yes it is

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <rus...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

May 15, 2003, 7:17:41 PM5/15/03
And part 1 of my question?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeff Mackeny" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Jeff Mackeny

May 16, 2003, 10:12:04 AM5/16/03
yes it mapped correct, otherwise I wouldn't see the fax number underlined in
the Bus. Fax field it would show the Fax number in a different field, or am
I wrong?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <rus...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

May 16, 2003, 10:25:55 AM5/16/03
I was wondering what you meant by the statement "I see it the fax number in

the
Business Fax filed its not actually there for the way outlook sees it."

I am suspicious that the import created a corrupt Fax field and am trying to
figure out how or why. Is the phone number in canonical format? If you
create a new fax Contact Record from scratch in that folder, will it appear?