Too many fields defined error on import

KJ

Apr 3, 2008, 12:55:01 PM4/3/08
I'm trying to import contact data from an excel spreadsheet (the data is
actually from ACT V8) with 27 columns and about 1300 rows. I get the error
message "Too many fields defined" and don't get to map my fields. It looks
like it's trying to get to the place to map the fields. Is there a limit on
number of columns or rows? What can I do?

Karl Timmermans

Apr 3, 2008, 2:39:53 PM4/3/08
Yes there is a limit to the number of Excel rows (believe the number is 127
if memory serves but definitely somewhere in the 120-127 range - just forget
the exact number off hand).

Your problem more likely than not is that the named range is incorrect and
has included far more columns than required. Either correct the named range
or save your file as a CSV file and import that into Outlook.

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com

"KJ" <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

KJ

Apr 4, 2008, 8:21:23 PM4/4/08
Thank you - you were correct that there were too many columns in my range. I
brought that down to 25 and the import worked.

You mentioned that the max number of rows is 120-127. It must be higher
than that - I was able to import 975 rows at once. Still don't know the
limit, but at least it's more than 127!

Thanks for your help,
Kirsten

Karl Timmermans