SQL Max Memory Defined

Joan

Jan 6, 2008, 2:20:00 PM1/6/08
Many users report problems with SQL Express taking over memory on their
systems and I have also experienced this. Much research over several days
finally provided instructions on setting the Max Mem in SQL Server Express.
Here are my findings:

Install free download “SQL Server Management Studio Express” for setting Max
Memory
Info on why this is helpful:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/mgsqlexpwssmse.mspx#EPIAE

Download Source: “Managing SQL Server Express”
(SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en

Installs to Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server 2005

User Instructions:
Open SQL Server Management Studio Express
Connect to SQL database
At Object Explorer, right click on Server Name to provide Properties Dialog
box
Select Memory
Enter desired Maximum Server Memory (in MB) (I selected 256)

The install and use is easy, and effective. Once installed, I ran through
some heavy deleting of emails in BCM Contact Histories and contact category
maintenence. The system performed adequately and SQL Server never went over
210MB of memory.

I then tried (for the 3rd time) to de-select over 600 contacts from the
"Manage AutoLink" and alas, BCM locked up, again, as this operation seems to
be way too much for the program. But SQL never spiked to over 650MB memory
like it did 3 times before. It maxed at 210MB.

One other step I have taken to improve BCM performance is to uninstall
Desktop Instant Search.

Joan

Ed Marmon

Jan 7, 2008, 9:31:16 AM1/7/08