ON2k7 & SharePoint 2007 shared notebook troubles

Ingram Barclay

Jul 23, 2007, 9:32:03 PM7/23/07
I created a shared notbook on my group's team site in sharepoint 2k7, and it
worked great for about 1 day. I modified one of the sections the next day
and tried to sync it, and ever since I have had unresolveable problems with
it, as it will not sync any of the notebook, claiming that "This section
contains changes that cannot be synced because access to the section file is
denied. Correct the file permissions or save your coy of the section file
elsewhere."

Now, before you start saying that the permissions are not allwing me to do
this, let me say that I have checked all that. I have full access to the
entire hierarchy, all the way down to the file.

I have also tried deleteing my backup copies, closing the notebook, and
having onenote clear the cache after I close th notebook in hopes that it
would just delete my changes.

No luck. OneNote will not allow me to delete the cached files, modify them,
or anything else.

I know that I could rename the library or the file in the library,
effectively making onenote think it's a different file, (notebook) but that
would keep us from troubleshooting this.

Any ideas? (OH.. BTW.. yes, I'm on Vista and it's not SSL.. so I log in
each time right now.)

Thanks,

--
Ingram Barclay
Chief Information Officer

Lon Orenstein

Jul 24, 2007, 5:33:56 PM7/24/07
Ingram:

I feel your pain. I posted it awhile ago ("Why doesn't my ON synch") and
went around and around and never got it working correctly. I believe there
is a problem with ON and Vista but no one can diagnose it correctly. There
are some other posts in this group that deal with it and some people believe
they got it figured out, but I never did.

I was trying to make my desktop PC the "master" and link from my laptop,
both running Vista Ultimate. SharePoint was not a part of my scenario. I
could create a new notebook, it would sync once, and that was it. Same
message as you got... My workaround was make the laptop the master and the
desktop the client and it works fine. But, ON and Vista have a real
problem...

Sorry I didn't have an answer but thought you might like some company...

Take care,
Lon

Lon Orenstein
pinpointtools, llc
L...@pinpointtools.com
Author of Outlook 2007 Business Contact Manager For Dummies
Author of the eBook: Moving from ACT! to Business Contact Manager
800.238.0560 x6104 Toll Free (U.S. only) +1 214.905.0401 x6104
www.pinpointtools.com

"Ingram Barclay" <ing...@community.nospam> wrote in message

Ilya Koulchin

Jul 24, 2007, 7:51:48 PM7/24/07
Ingram Barclay wrote:
> I created a shared notbook on my group's team site in sharepoint 2k7, and it
> worked great for about 1 day. I modified one of the sections the next day
> and tried to sync it, and ever since I have had unresolveable problems with
> it, as it will not sync any of the notebook, claiming that "This section
> contains changes that cannot be synced because access to the section file is
> denied. Correct the file permissions or save your coy of the section file
> elsewhere."

We've identified a problem when running OneNote 2007 on Vista that can
sometimes lead to the "access denied" message when syncing with
notebooks stored on SharePoint. We're planning to have a fix in an
upcoming service release. In the meantime, you can sometimes resolve
this problem by waiting a bit, then restarting OneNote (make sure that
OneNote has completely exited though).

Ilya (MS)

Rainald Taesler

Jul 25, 2007, 8:55:06 PM7/25/07
Lon Orenstein shared these words of wisdom:

I can not say anything on a situation with SharePoint involved. I just
don't know the latter.

> I was trying to make my desktop PC the "master" and link from my
> laptop, both running Vista Ultimate. SharePoint was not a part of
> my scenario. I could create a new notebook, it would sync once, and
> that was it. Same message as you got...

On my side there are no problems at all with this scenario under Vista
Business on my desktop and XP Tablet Edition on my TabletPC and
"normal" XP on my second desktop.
ON does what it should and I can see no difference to the situation I
had before when running the "master" under XP.

> My workaround was make the
> laptop the master and the desktop the client and it works fine.
> But, ON and Vista have a real problem...

I for one can not confirm your conclusion.

Rainald

Bill

Aug 1, 2007, 5:30:02 PM8/1/07
Please make the following "Two User" senario work in the upcoming fix to
OneNote with Vista:

UserOne: Logged into a Domain. Synch "OneNote Notebooks" on my private
folder on Server 2003R2 at work. Do this over LAN or WiFi at work or over VPN
from home.

UserTwo: Logged into Workgroup and logged into the mapped Network Drive,
with UserOne's Active Directory Domain Credentials, containing my private
folder on Server 2003R2 at work. Synch "OneNote Notebooks" over LAN or WiFi
at work or over VPN from home.

Bill

Ilya Koulchin

Aug 1, 2007, 7:13:51 PM8/1/07
Bill wrote:
> Please make the following "Two User" senario work in the upcoming fix to
> OneNote with Vista:
>
> UserOne: Logged into a Domain. Synch "OneNote Notebooks" on my private
> folder on Server 2003R2 at work. Do this over LAN or WiFi at work or over VPN
> from home.
>
> UserTwo: Logged into Workgroup and logged into the mapped Network Drive,
> with UserOne's Active Directory Domain Credentials, containing my private
> folder on Server 2003R2 at work. Synch "OneNote Notebooks" over LAN or WiFi
> at work or over VPN from home.

That scenario sounds like it should just work. What problems are you seeing?

Ilya

Ingram Barclay

Aug 1, 2007, 7:42:02 PM8/1/07
Ilya,

Thanks for the reponse. I was hoping for a work-around, but it's helpful to
know that it's a known bug.

--
Ingram Barclay

Bill

Aug 1, 2007, 8:16:06 PM8/1/07
"This section contains changes that cannot be synced because access to the
section file is denied. Correct the file permissions or save your coy of the
section file elsewhere." I get the same error message reported by others.

Bill

Bill

Jan 4, 2008, 1:30:00 PM1/4/08
I've been experiencing the exact same problem described by Ingram, hoping for
a fix to come through. However, I can't find any reference to a final fix
for this bug. Is there one? Soon?

John Google

Jan 4, 2008, 2:23:55 PM1/4/08
> > Ashley Furniture Homestores- Hide quoted text -

Have you installed office SP1?

Bill

Jan 4, 2008, 3:24:00 PM1/4/08
Yes. Running SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000).

Bill

Jan 13, 2008, 6:03:01 PM1/13/08
I've heard nothing in several days, so just checking in. Any update?