Re: update for office 2003

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan 11, 2007, 12:14:33 PM1/11/07
(cross-post added to Office Update)
"quail" <qu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A4BE731-F313-4F5B...@microsoft.com...
> same problem after uninstalling and reinstalling Access 2003, update prompted
> the Office Service Pack 2 update, downloaded fine and failed to install.
> This happened twice before (not Access related) and Microsoft had me
> completely uninstall Office and start over with all the updates. Worked fine
> until I recently went to open Access and it kept looking for the Windows
> Installer even though the program was installed. I could not modify, repair
> or un-install, had to use to the Windows Install clean-up tool to uninstall
> Access. I then reinstalled Access and

> it works fine except I cannot update.

Can you refine your symptom description with details from your logs?

> Any suggestions here would be helpful since the solution to everything at
> Microsoft is to completely uninstall, loose all your settings and install
> from scratch.

That's because nobody is willing to do any diagnosis
and doing a complete rebuild is faster and more reliable anyway.
E.g. who knows what else is broken besides whatever
particular cause your diagnosis finally discovers?

BTW you might get more informed help from a newsgroup
which specializes in Office Updates. Cross-posting to that NG.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

(rest of thread included for convenience of new readers)

> Last time I had another system (Blue Screen) inquiry they
> wanted me to reformat the hard drive and start over. Maybe its time to
> switch to a Mac...
>
> "themookman" wrote:
>
>> Same problem here - keeps reminding me to install but fails. Went to Windows
>> update history and it says error code 0x8007066F which I think is just a
>> generic won't install code and not much use because when I search the
>> newsgroup it only comes up associated with posts in June and nothing linked
>> to this problem. Driving me nuts - how do I get rid of this annoyance or
>> actually install the update?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "bobr" wrote:
>>
>> > i am running windows xp and i have downloaded but am unable to install the
>> > update for office 2003(kb919029) can anyone please help

Peter Foldes

Jan 11, 2007, 12:31:40 PM1/11/07
This has worked for most.

1st Rename Office subkeys

Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

1. Close all the applications.
2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
5. Close the Registry Editor.

2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2003

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
and click Change.
5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
6. Select "Reinstall and Repair" and click Next.
7. Select "Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation".
8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

3rd. Install the Update

--
Peter

Bass@discussions.microsoft.com Michael Bass

Jan 13, 2007, 3:04:00 PM1/13/07
Thanks for the info, Peter. I got an error message when I tried to execute #4
in Detect & Repair Office 2003.

It read: "Installation source for this product is not available. Verify
the source exists and that you can access it."

Could you direct me from here possibly?
Thanks,
Michael Bass

Peter Foldes

Jan 13, 2007, 8:47:11 PM1/13/07
By any chance your Office 2003 is a Trial Edition? How and from where did you install Office 2003

--
Peter

Michael Bass

Jan 15, 2007, 8:50:01 AM1/15/07
No. This si not a trial edition. It was loaded w/Dell purchase 3 years ago.
The problem stared after an update in the summer of 06. Dell provided the doc
& disk for reinstalls w/computer. I tried to reinstall a couple fo times, but
I get the same message whn I try to do that.
Thanks.
MBass

wyobugmama

Jan 15, 2007, 11:44:00 AM1/15/07
Peter, this did not work for me. I am unable to install ANYTHING because it
says "another proram is isntalling. finish it first" or something like that.
I can't install my printer, an update, nothing. I've tried cleaning the
installer, too, but that didn't work either. And the Office xp update is not
in add/remove so I can't delete it. I really need help if you have time.
--
www.thebugmug.com
Vickie (wy)

Peter Foldes

Jan 15, 2007, 11:29:14 PM1/15/07
Michael

From what source did you originally install Office 2003 and which version of Office 2003. Also what is your Windows version with SP

--
Peter

Peter Foldes

Jan 15, 2007, 11:31:26 PM1/15/07
Is Show Updates checked in Add\Remove?

--
Peter

Princelaurent

Jan 20, 2007, 8:48:01 PM1/20/07
YES! Thank you!! it worked flawlessly.
Finally got rid of that silly yellow shield.