Document Scanning Not Working after installing SP3

cb

Sep 20, 2007, 3:22:02 PM9/20/07
After installing SP3 yesterday the document scanning feature in my 03 Office
tools crashes when I click the scan button. It asks if I want to send an
error report.

Are there any fixes? I use that feature daily.

--
Chuck

Rocketman

Oct 2, 2007, 2:23:05 PM10/2/07
The only fix I have found (i'm having a similar issue) is to completely
uninstall the office suite, reinstall it, then patch it manually - after
which you must disable the automatic updates so you don't get back to square
one. Your issue seems to be one of the "known issues" listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923618
Apparently, they decided that if you didn't like what they did you either
had to completely revamp your system or switch to Office 2007 (thats my best
guess - great marketing ploy...)

Sorry to be the carrier of bad news.....

Pavel

Oct 17, 2007, 8:36:00 AM10/17/07
Replace \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI\11.0\MSPSCAN.EXE

with old

\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\5040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\11.0.5614\MSPSCAN.EXE

EdN_OPKS

Oct 17, 2007, 11:37:00 AM10/17/07
Hey "Pavel", just want to say THANKS. Your suggestion has saved both the day
and my sanity!!! My MS document scanning & imaging apps are now back woring
once again after being down for over a week following the installation of
Office 2003 SP-3. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ed

Stressed Mum

Oct 17, 2007, 1:39:02 PM10/17/07
Hi Pavel

This help link is just what I need! Driving myself batty trying to sort
this out - but having read through this it would appear to be the answer to
my problems - only I don't understand how to replace the file - do you have
time to do a step by step for me please? I can locate the file but how do I
replace it? Thank you for your time. SM :)

Stressed Mum

Oct 17, 2007, 2:51:03 PM10/17/07
I have found the file to replace it - although in a slightly different
location! However this has not solved my issue! Maybe this is because I had
to reinstall MS Office on 3.10.07 and at the same time downloaded essential
updates so there wasn't really any other one to fall back on? Do you think
that I perhaps need to do a complete reinstall again and manually update
ommitting SP3?

Stressed Mum

Oct 19, 2007, 11:59:02 AM10/19/07
well - regrettably it didn't work for me! I ended up having to uninstall and
reinstall MS 2003 and update withut the SP3 package. Not very happy at all.
What a complete waste of time - NOT having auto updates now - selecting the
ones I NEED!

luca....@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2007, 11:41:58 AM11/28/07

al-t

Nov 30, 2007, 11:40:04 AM11/30/07
SP3 has done this to me as well. Furher down in this discussion is a
suggestion by Luca to shorten the scanner name to less than 26 characters
with a link to tell you how to do it- it works! No need for a re-install.

al-t

Nov 30, 2007, 11:51:00 AM11/30/07
This works- thank-you very much for solving this problem for me.

Marleneburton

Mar 17, 2008, 11:12:01 PM3/17/08
I am another stressed out mom. How do i follow the instructions below. How do
I replace etcetera. I looked to see what you told the other mom but couldn't
find it.

Marlene

ComputersAreStrange

Mar 18, 2008, 5:48:01 PM3/18/08
I just had this problem today, after doing nothing at all. It will send an
error report and that's it.

In the Scanner and Camera section there is nothing. It acts as if I have no
scanner at all. So I have no option to change the name to a shorter name.

Reinstalling Office 2003 seems the only option, but what does one lose by
doing that? I remember doing that on old computers and losing everything.