Re: Windows Update fails with error code 8007066F

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 30, 2008, 4:50:20 PM5/30/08
Crossposted to Office Update newsgroup]

KB946691 is not an Office 2007 Update, it's a KB article telling you how to
resolve the installation problem you encountered:

You receive an error message when you try to install the 2007 Microsoft
Office suite Service Pack 1
[ignore the listed Errors]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946691
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

KenRoy wrote:
> I am running Vista SP1 and Office 2007. The windows update fails when
> trying to install the Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System
> (KB946691). The error code is 8007066F with no other information. I have
> searched the Help and Support and this Forum with no good answers.

dmeers

Aug 19, 2008, 11:21:01 AM8/19/08
I am receiving an error code 8007066F trying to instal KB951338. Does anyone
know what to do?

JoAnn Paules

Aug 19, 2008, 4:35:54 PM8/19/08
Have you looked at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=55FD618A-E9C5-4F1E-B9A5-B2E47EC98EF1&displaylang=en?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dmeers" <dme...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dmeers

Aug 19, 2008, 5:49:01 PM8/19/08
I tried downloading the link below and it would not take....it said I had a
corrupt installation "something???". Anymore suggestions. Thanks!!

JoAnn Paules

Aug 19, 2008, 6:04:04 PM8/19/08
Not without knowing exactly what that "something" is.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dmeers" <dme...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

NikkiLund

Aug 19, 2008, 6:11:05 PM8/19/08
I have looked at all the posts and nothing seems to be helping the situation.
Did Ken Roy get his problem fixed? If so please let me know how you did it!

Thank you.

dmeers

Aug 19, 2008, 6:43:01 PM8/19/08
Ok, I ran it again.."The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted
installation database".

JoAnn Paules

Aug 19, 2008, 7:10:59 PM8/19/08
Delete that file, download it again and try it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dmeers" <dme...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dmeers

Aug 20, 2008, 10:07:01 AM8/20/08
I'm sorry but which file do you want me to delete? The update file?

JoAnn Paules

Aug 20, 2008, 6:25:12 PM8/20/08
Yes.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dmeers" <dme...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dmeers

Aug 20, 2008, 8:22:00 PM8/20/08
I don't want to sound totally stupid, but I can't delete the update program
because it failed to download. This peticular update has to do with
Microsoft Power Point 2007 and I can't delete just the Power Point, I would
have to delete my whole Microsoft Office 2007. Everytime I shut my computer
down it tries to update this file, it is not a file or program because it
won't let me download it.

SAber

Aug 26, 2008, 1:50:05 PM8/26/08
I have an identical situation. Is a fix available?

dmeers

Aug 26, 2008, 4:14:01 PM8/26/08
No, I have not found one yet. I have talked with Sony too and they can't help.

Robert Aldwinckle

Aug 26, 2008, 6:52:41 PM8/26/08
"NikkiLund" <Nikk...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B63D304-98E8-4F6A...@microsoft.com...

>I have looked at all the posts and nothing seems to be helping the situation.
> Did Ken Roy get his problem fixed? If so please let me know how you did it!

Since you are adding your Me too! several months after the OP
it would help if you clarified exactly what you mean by "the situation." ; )

However, often it helps to search for the decimal value of the last half of a hex code
and try to get clues that way.

(Live Search at Microsoft.com for
+1647 error codes -"total views"
)
<quote>
ERROR_UNKNOWN_PATCH 1647
The patch is not applied to this product. Available beginning with Windows Installer version 3.0.
</quote>

That would suggest that the update you got is not applicable to the product
you have installed or is otherwise somehow unusable.

E.g. if you got the update as an automatic update from Microsoft Updates (aka MU)
you could try downloading whatever that is manually from the Microsoft Update
Catalog (aka MUC) and try installing it instead.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB946691

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

ShoopsBox

Sep 5, 2008, 11:09:01 AM9/5/08
I am having the same error message and the exact same problem you are havinf
dmeers. If anyone knows how to resolve this I would love to know as well.
Thanks -SB

Mary Sauer

Sep 6, 2008, 10:57:03 AM9/6/08
Forum here with suggestions.
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/21854?page=1#entry-68433

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"ShoopsBox" <Shoo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

BYU427

Oct 9, 2008, 2:58:02 AM10/9/08

My problem was more complex. Not only did I get this error code for Office
updates, but I also got error code 1643 for all other updates. I was able to
fix both of them. I’m not 100% sure that the first fix had anything to do
with the second, so I’m going to tell you what I think will fix your problem
alone, but I will also list every step I took, just in case the two problems
were tied together.

The office fix was the LAST thing I did. I had two versions of Office 2003,
then upgraded to 2007 Pro, then upgraded that to 2007 Enterprise. I also
upgraded from XP to Vista. I don’t think it matters which version you have,
the link below will guide you thru the steps you need to take to clear out
any and every version of Office there is on your computer. Once they are
COMPLETELY gone, you will be able to re-install and the updates will work
just fine.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us

It states that you should uninstall using the regular uninstall method
instead of going through all of these steps. I used the uninstall on all of
the versions I could, but it didn’t work on all of them (said I needed to
verify the existence of the source files). FYI: I think Office12 is office
2007 and Office11 is Office 2003. You will also need to look at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ as part of the process. All in all,
following these steps took me about 3-4 hours.

Before I fixed my Office problem, I thought I should fix and get any updates
for Vista. The other piece of my problem was my .NET Framework. Somehow it
got messed up, I assume during the upgrade to Vista. I found this .NET
Framework cleanup tool:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx
I had to reboot in safe mode for it to work. If you use it you have to
re-install it again. Just search MS downloads for Re-distributable .NET 1.1
or 1.0, whatever you have.

After fixing my .NET Framework, I also downloaded Windows Installer 4.5
(KB942288). After downloading Windows Installer, I started on my Office 2007
fix above. Again, I don’t think you will need to do the .NET or get windows
Installer 4.5 to fix your Office updates, but just in case I listed my fixes
for those here too.

BYU427

Oct 9, 2008, 2:57:00 AM10/9/08

BYU427