HELP! Install of Office 2003 Pro killed Outlook Express

Dee

Jan 9, 2004, 6:38:52 AM1/9/04
I am a simple minded user (so to speak) :-)

I have been running Office 2000 on Win XP Pro forever.
I use Outlook Express for my email. It all worked just fine.

Yesterday I removed Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 Pro
out of the box. Install was fine.

BUT now Outlook Express won't work.
It fires up OK but I can't open new mail.
Address Book is dead.
Can't post to NewsG. Or send mail. (this post on another m/c)

Anyone suggest where I could start??

Dee

DL

Jan 9, 2004, 6:45:48 AM1/9/04
OE is not part of any Office pkge, its part of IE
Would suggest you post to an IE ng, for a more informed response.
Other than checking in Internet Options that OE is still set to default Mail
App
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ may assist with OE
David

"Dee" <Dee...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Reply to Newsgroup - Not Me

Jan 9, 2004, 9:20:11 PM1/9/04
I am a long time "Outlook Express" user as well (at home... have to use
OUTLOOK at work).

Haven't installed Office 2003 yet... but I presume that it is like previous
versions. Their default is to install "Outlook" and this may (at a minimum)
make "Outlook" your DEFAULT E-Mail program. You will probably need to
re-install "Outlook Express". You may have gotten it from your Windows CD
or you may have gotten it off the web. THe latest version is on the web,
but you go to update your Explorer Browser and Outlook Express is part of
that.

Hopefully, your E-Mail and your address book are still there (and if the
"Outlook Express" reinstall dosen't pick them up automatically from their
location... you can import them). Their location (to check and if necessary
import from) is normally as listed below the NOTE:

NOTE: For the following paths some elements will be specific to you...
replace "C:" with the appropriate drive, if it isn't "C:"
replace "USERNAME" with your WindowsXP and Outlook Express user names
replace the string of numbers and letters between the "{}", with pattern
generated on install

For the address book (search for *.wab if you don't find it easily):
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\USERNAME.wab

For your mail folders... they are in several files with ".dbx" extensions in
the directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{C53E8B54-9F0C-4AFD-8054-E40E4374E8FA}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\

In case you, or someone else goes through this again, if you wish to retain
"Outlook Express", then select custom install on Office and do not install
"Outlook".

DL

Jan 10, 2004, 6:47:34 AM1/10/04
A minor comment; I've installed Office, inc OL, numerous times and its never
interfered with OE
David

"Reply to Newsgroup - Not Me" <DONOTREPLYT...@xyz.com> wrote in
message news:yjJLb.29153$WQ3.11071@lakeread05...

Patrick Rouse [MVP]

Jan 11, 2004, 7:07:51 PM1/11/04
If you own Outlook 2003 why don't you use it for email, as
OE is a far inferior email client. Outlook 2003 is the
killer app of Office System 2003.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server