Upgrade to 2003 doesn't overwrite Office XP

1 view

Ian Burgess

Nov 3, 2003, 2:52:19 PM11/3/03
Hi

I have created an automated Off2K3 admin install with the MST set to
'default setup behaviour' - i.e. it should seek out older app versions and
upgrade. However, users simply get a parallel install alongside their Office
Xp installation. I've tried distributing using the command line and group
policy (original office XP was installed by command line).

Has anyone got any ideas??? ;-))

Many thanks

IanB

Jerry Ham

Nov 3, 2003, 3:06:48 PM11/3/03
Check the log file for the installation and make sure the tranform was
actually applied.
Make sure you didn't specify "TRANSFORM=xxxx.mst" - it needs to be
"TRANSFORMS=xxxx.mst".

I am testing both the compressed image method and the admin install method.
This is to update our machines which were all done with Office XP admin
installs. It uninstalls Office XP fine and we end up with just Office 2003.

Another thing to check: Did you remove the Group Policy install of OfficeXP
so it won't get re-installed?

Jerry

"Ian Burgess" <ian_b...@nospamformentlworld.com> wrote in message

Ian Burgess

Nov 3, 2003, 6:12:47 PM11/3/03
Thanks Jerry

Log files look good - i.e. correct mst appears to be applied - plenty of
references to products that need to be removed.

OfficeXp was not installed by group policy so there's nothing to remove/get
reinstalled by GP.

Am I doing something wrong from the group policy side - I simply point to
pro.msi on the first tab and the MST in the modifications tab (I can't see
what else you can actually specify here). When I run from the command line
the syntax is def transformS=\\fullpath\xxx.mst.

offcln11.log def detects the previous version of office OK (this can also be
seen in the setup log files)

Any other thoughts??

Thanks

IanB

"Jerry Ham" <No-...@Somplace.net> wrote in message

Scott Horvath

Nov 19, 2003, 5:01:10 PM11/19/03
I am having the exact same problem as you. The only time I am able to get office 2003 to remove office xp is by logging in as an admin and running the setup.exe (setuppro.exe) - installing from the MSI won't even do it as an admin.

Have you had any better luck?

Scott

Zach Snyder

Dec 9, 2003, 2:56:31 PM12/9/03
I'm also having this issue. Has anyone found a resolution?

Zach

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Dec 11, 2003, 9:41:31 AM12/11/03
Hi Zach,

If you have Office XP (2002) series apps that are not
included in your Office 2003 edition then the installer
will leave the 2002 versions in place. You should be
able to uninstall them manually from Add/Remove Programs
in the Windows Control Panel.

==========

--
Hope that helps,

Bob Buckland ?:-) MS Office Products family MVP

http://go.CompuServe.com/MSOfficeForum?loc=us

MS Office 2003 'Parts' Explained
http://microsoft.com/uk/office/system.asp

Chart of What's in Each MS Office 2003 Edition
http://microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.asp

Have a little fun with Office
http://microsoft.com/uk/officexp/xtra/

Get a Microsoft Certification of your Office App Skills:
http://microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mous/requirements.asp

Search the MS Knowledge Base & FAQ:
http://support.microsoft.com

Choose the newsgroups focused on your MS Office applications:
via Browser:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=prod_office
by Newsreader: (Outlook Express)