Word 2007 Spell Check Issues

JaclynK

Apr 23, 2007, 2:30:01 PM4/23/07
When creating a new document in word 2007, obvious mispelled words are not
picked up by the spell checker. All settings and options have been double
check by my IT department, however it still does not work. The message states
" The spelling and grammer check is complete" but the mistakes are not picked
up. When I used the trial version I did not have any problems with this,
however once my office bought the full version spell check is no longer
working. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Beth Melton

Apr 23, 2007, 4:23:48 PM4/23/07
First, click the Microsoft Office Button, close it, and see if spell check
begins to work. (Believe it or not, there's a slight bug with spell check
and the Microsoft Office Button, you need to click it once for it to start
working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only
happen once.)

If that doesn't work then if no custom spell checker have been installed on
the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry
key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

This key will be rebuilt the next time you start Word. Please let us know if
this resolves the issue. This resolution, found by Bob Buckland on another
forum, has been only recently been confirmed by Microsoft. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/9801.aspx#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"JaclynK" <Jac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Stick Stickus

Apr 23, 2007, 5:39:48 PM4/23/07
I re-installed the English dictionary from office 2003 and this worked.
Unfortunately the 'Read Mail' button on the command toolbar doesn't now. I
access outlook from the outlook icon instead.
Regards
Stick
"Beth Melton" <bme...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Beth Melton

Apr 23, 2007, 5:51:52 PM4/23/07
I'm not following why you installed proofing tools from Office 2003 for
Office 2007???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Stick Stickus" <dcl...@NOSPAMgofast.co.uk> wrote in message

Stick Stickus

Apr 24, 2007, 2:27:02 AM4/24/07
After installing Office 2007 the english spell checker in outlook express
was in french only. By doing as i did I was able to use an english spell
checker on outlook express.

Regards
Stick
"Beth Melton" <bme...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Beth Melton

Apr 24, 2007, 9:53:04 AM4/24/07
After I posted I realized that you weren't JacklynK replying to my
suggestion and perhaps you were offering a suggestion for her??

Your suggestion sort of works for the inability to spell check in OE but it
won't resolve the inability to use spell check in the Office applications
themselves, which is the issue JacklynK is having.

I stated "sort of" because if all you installed were the proofing tools then
it isn't enough to trigger activation and you won't pass the Microsoft
Genuine Advantage test if you try to download something from Microsoft.com.
The only way around this is to install something else to trigger activation.
Using the proofing tools from Office XP results in the same behavior and if
you install them from Office 2000 you end up with more issues. Right now the
best solution is to download a third-party spell checker. :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> After installing Office 2007 the english spell checker in outlook express
> was in french only. By doing as i did I was able to use an english spell
> checker on outlook express.
> Regards
> Stick
> "Beth Melton" <bme...@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> I'm not following why you installed proofing tools from Office 2003 for
>> Office 2007???

mtde...@yahoo.com

May 15, 2007, 1:32:49 PM5/15/07
On Apr 23, 4:23 pm, "Beth Melton" <bmel...@mvps.org> wrote:
> First, click the Microsoft Office Button, close it, and see ifspellcheck
> begins to work. (Believe it or not, there's a slight bug withspellcheck
> and the Microsoft Office Button, you need to click it once for it to start
> working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only
> happen once.)
>
> If that doesn't work then if no customspellchecker have been installed on

> the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry
> key:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US
>
> This key will be rebuilt the next time you start Word. Please let us know if
> this resolves the issue. This resolution, found by Bob Buckland on another
> forum, has been only recently been confirmed by Microsoft. :-)
>
> Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
> assistance by email can not be acknowledged.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Beth Melton
> Microsoft Office MVP
>
> Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/9801.aspx#AboutTheBook
>
> Word FAQ:http://mvps.org/word
> TechTrax eZine:http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
> MVP FAQ site:http://mvps.org/
>
> "JaclynK" <Jacl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > When creating a new document in word 2007, obvious mispelled words are not
> > picked up by thespellchecker. All settings and options have been double
> >checkby my IT department, however it still does not work. The message
> > states
> > " The spelling and grammercheckis complete" but the mistakes are not

> > picked
> > up. When I used the trial version I did not have any problems with this,
> > however once my office bought the full versionspellcheckis no longer
> > working. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Beth - This worked for me! Thanks! I was pulling my hair out!

KHughes

Jun 1, 2007, 7:58:59 AM6/1/07
Thanks for this, this also worked for me.

I had the english UK dictionary installed, but could not use it for
spell check etc, but could use the US dictionary.

I also noticed that the English UK dictionary did not have the ABC
Tick next to it in the available dictionaries.

On 15 May, 18:32, mtdew9...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 23, 4:23 pm, "Beth Melton" <bmel...@mvps.org> wrote:
>

> > First, click the MicrosoftOfficeButton, close it, and see ifspellcheck

> > begins to work. (Believe it or not, there's a slight bug withspellcheck

> > and the MicrosoftOfficeButton, you need to click it once for it to start

> > working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only
> > happen once.)
>
> > If that doesn't work then if no customspellchecker have been installed on
> > the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry
> > key:
>
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> > Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US
>
> > This key will be rebuilt the next time you start Word. Please let us know if
> > this resolves the issue. This resolution, found by Bob Buckland on another
> > forum, has been only recently been confirmed by Microsoft. :-)
>
> > Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
> > assistance by email can not be acknowledged.
>
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Beth Melton
> > MicrosoftOfficeMVP
>

> > Co-author of Word2007Inside Out:http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/9801.aspx#AboutTheBook

> > Word FAQ:http://mvps.org/word
> > TechTrax eZine:http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
> > MVP FAQ site:http://mvps.org/
>
> > "JaclynK" <Jacl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > When creating a new document in word2007, obvious mispelled words are not

> > > picked up by thespellchecker. All settings and options have been double
> > >checkby my IT department, however it still does not work. The message
> > > states
> > > " The spelling and grammercheckis complete" but the mistakes are not
> > > picked
> > > up. When I used the trial version I did not have any problems with this,

> > > however once myofficebought the full versionspellcheckis no longer

> > > working. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

> Beth - This worked for me! Thanks! I was pulling my hair out!- Hide quoted text -

CipherTeKST

Jul 16, 2007, 10:16:01 AM7/16/07
I have tried this solution but had no luck... this bug is really annoying. Is
there anything else I should try?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
CipherTeKST
MCSE: Security 2003, CCNA, Security+

lythambear

Jul 16, 2007, 5:20:06 PM7/16/07

My problem is that the Spell Checker has a life of its own. Every time i run
it it crashes my Word 2007. Anybody any ideas ??
I've tried the diagnostics etc, closed it down, started it up again, done
what "Beth" suggested earlier. I'm running a trial version of Office
Professional 2007.

grasshopperlee

Jul 21, 2007, 10:45:07 PM7/21/07

Well, the following worked for me while I was having this problem:
Go to the review tab. Under the proofing section, click on select
language. A dialog box will open allowing you to select your language
(this should be your preferred language with a check mark on the side
and a little abc icon). There are two boxes at the bottom. One says,
do not check spelling or grammar. Make sure there is NOT a check mark
in this box. The other box says, detect language automatically. This
one should be checked. I don't know why, but I have had one document
open with the right boxes checked, and have opened another document and
had the wrong one checked.

If the wrong box is checked, fix it. Close the document and reopen.
Like I said, this is what has happened to me and this fixed it. Sounds
like a lot of things could be wrong since it appears there are way too
many ways to disable the checker.

--
grasshopperlee
grasshopperlee's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28347

http://forums.techarena.in

lythambear

Jul 22, 2007, 3:12:02 AM7/22/07
Thanks for your help Lee, I'll try that and see how i get on.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Jul 22, 2007, 7:36:58 AM7/22/07
One unfortunate thing about the Language dialog box is that the two settings
at the bottom are different kinds of settings, yet the dialog box does not
warn you about this. Instead, you're led to believe the two settings work
identically. They do not. The first (Do not check) is a type of formatting
that affects only selected text. The second is a Word setting that affects
the entire Word session -- all open documents, all new documents, and all
documents you might open -- and stays in effect until/unless you change it.

The first (Do not check spelling or grammar) is a formatting setting that is
applied to selected text. It affects only the selection. So, if you enable
that setting, and haven't selected any text, then only the word where the
insertion point is currently located is affected (and perhaps only the
insertion point if "When selecting, automatically select entire word" is
turned off in [Office - Word Options - Advanced - Editing options]). This
setting is especially handy for marking passages containing technical jargon
or programming commands so that Word doesn't nag you about things not in the
dictionary. It's also useful for marking passages written in languages for
which you don't have proofing tools, or passages that contain numerous
spelling/grammatical mistakes that are part of a dialogue in which the
"speaker's" accent and other peculiarities are being captured using
inventive spelling.

The second (Detect language automatically) is a Word-wide setting that you
can turn on/off. It doesn't apply to selected text or even to a document. It
controls the whole Word environment. This setting can automatically change
the language formatting for what you're typing. Sometimes this is good,
sometimes this is bad... particularly if you don't notice it happening and
it's wrong. Personally, I usually keep this setting turned off. If I
misspell something, I don't want Word to "guess" [incorrectly] that I've
suddenly switched to Swedish, and change the language formatting. In the
unlikely event I suddenly start typing in Swedish, I'll change the language
myself (and check myself into a paranormal clinic to find out how it
happened).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"grasshopperlee" <grasshoppe...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

lythambear

Jul 23, 2007, 8:12:02 AM7/23/07
Well i'm not sure about the "in's and out"s of the programme as i am
certainly no techie but i tried what Grasshopperlee had to say and it has
worked for me!!!!! No more crashes every time i try to spell check.

grasshopperlee

Aug 9, 2007, 4:09:30 PM8/9/07

lythambear,

Glad to hear that worked for you. I know I was pulling my hair out
trying to figure out why my spell checker wouldn't work. I am also no
techie. I like office 2007, but it seems a little more difficult to
control all of the options, and I certainly do not like having more
than one place to change settings, like turning off or on spellchecker.
Especially when it seems the software turns off settings by itself.

mikeb

Sep 27, 2007, 3:37:30 PM9/27/07

I was having an intermittent problem with Word 2007 not spell checking
text when pasted from other applications. Word would indicate that the
spell check was complete with no errors, and clearly there where
errors.

I did the process outlined by grasshopperlee

Go to the review tab. Under the proofing section, click on
select language. A dialog box will open allowing you to select your
language (this should be your preferred language with a check mark on
the side and a little abc icon). There are two boxes at the bottom. One
says, do not check spelling or grammar. Make sure there is NOT a check
mark in this box. The other box says, detect language automatically.
This one should be checked. I don't know why, but I have had one
document open with the right boxes checked, and have opened another
document and had the wrong one checked.

All is working again!!! Thank you!

--
mikeb
mikeb's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31887

L@discussions.microsoft.com Steve L

Oct 12, 2007, 3:29:04 PM10/12/07
I, too, have trouble with the spell check in WORD 2007. All the settings are
fine, but the spell check does not catch any misspelled words.

Could you tell me how to find, backup and delete the registry key you are
talking about here?

eicherbiker

Nov 7, 2007, 12:05:00 PM11/7/07
Hello, I am also having problems with spellchecker working in my office 2007.
Nothing is showing up as misspelled (when there are obvious mistakes). I do
not know how to delete a registry key. Can you provide more help for the
nontechie?

I have tried the other suggestions in this string of posts, but they did not
work and I am getting despirate, I need my spellchecker.

Thanks
Kaye

Mel

Nov 12, 2007, 6:23:00 AM11/12/07
I have a similar problem with the spell check. The grammar check works fine
but not the spell check. I tried to follow the link below to try and rectify
this problem but only got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> Tools\ProofingTools\1.0 then was unable to find the document. Please advise how I go about rectifying this problem as a matter of urgency. Am I better off reverting to an earlier Word version and if so, how do I got about this?

Thanks,
Mel

ctfan240

Nov 24, 2007, 12:54:24 AM11/24/07

Ok,
I believe I have read everything posted, but am still not sure why
spell check will not recognize the obvious errors. I believe I have
double checked everything that has been mentioned and with the
exception of the registry key >>

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

which I did not find, I am at a loss. The machine was recently updated
from Office 2003 to Office 2007. I am not too familiar with working
with the registry, so more information on creating a new entry would
need to be provided.

Thanks,

ctfan240
ctfan240's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35794

ctfan240

Nov 24, 2007, 10:26:28 AM11/24/07

Ok,
First since I did not see my original post I assumed I messed up. If I
ended up duplicating it, I apologize.

I believe I have read everything posted, but am still not sure why
spell check will not recognize the obvious errors. I believe I have

double and triple checked everything that has been mentioned and with

the exception of the registry key >>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

which I did not find, I am at a loss. The machine was recently updated

from Office 2003 to Office 2007. I went through the other Office apps
and made sure that their settings were not conflicting with Word's.
There is a custom Dictionary, I can get rid of it if required. I
thought of looking for the default dictionary so I could copy one from
another machine, but now I do not think that will work, as I could not
find it. I am not too familiar with working with the registry, so more

marcelg

Jan 9, 2008, 6:14:39 PM1/9/08

http://help.lockergnome.com/office/Word-2007-Spell-checker-workingftopic-909134-days0-orderasc-20.html
has the solution for our problems! Thanks 'acureformyproblems' for your
suggestions!

marcelg
marcelg's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39263

ctfan240

Jan 10, 2008, 9:07:00 PM1/10/08

Marcelg, thanks for the post, but here is roughly how we fixed the
problem.

First, the why it happened. When we finally called Microsoft, the nice
support person indicated, Office 2003 used 32 bit encryption or format
(something) and Office 2007 used 64 bit whatever. The numbers could
also have been 16 to 32 but you get the drift. Anyway, if you open
Word, go to options, get to the addins dialog box, then set it to look
for disabled addins. Guess what should be there, spell checker.
Re-enable it and everything will work fine.
I would give the specific steps but my daughter has her machine back
and I'm still on 2003.
HTH

ctfan240
ctfan240's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35794

M@discussions.microsoft.com Chris M

Jan 22, 2008, 9:01:14 PM1/22/08
Hi Beth et al:

I tried this and I still do not have a functioning spell checker in Word
2007 (or Outlook or any office app).

* H * E * L * P *

Chris

M@discussions.microsoft.com Chris M

Jan 22, 2008, 9:03:06 PM1/22/08
Beth--

WAIT! I spoke too soon! Your registry key edit worked! I now have spell
check functioning in MS Word 2007.

*W * H * E * W *

'da best Beth!

It seems like a small thing but to have my docs go out without spell
checking was pretty challenging. It really has an impact on perceived
professionalism.

Thanks again!

Chris

Lance

Jan 22, 2008, 11:16:00 PM1/22/08
Possible fix?
I have struggled with this problem and think I found the answer. It seems
that Office 2007 disables the english dictionary because it may causes
problems with Outlook Express. To turn the dictionary back on goto:
Microsoft Office Button>
Word Options>
Ad Ins>
Manage (select disabled items)>
Click on the english dictionary and re-enable it>
Close Word and restart.
My spell check now works fine. Not sure if it causes other problems yet
Lance

Chan@discussions.microsoft.com Erwitt Chan

May 13, 2008, 10:12:00 AM5/13/08

"Beth Melton" wrote:

> The deleting of the registry key does works after all for my case. Thanks Beth Melton =) Maybe u all could try it also if u manage to come across this article.

jlobaza

Jun 8, 2008, 1:55:03 PM6/8/08

I opened the registry editory and could not find the file listed that
you mentioned to delete: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US" The only file listed was
"Default." Per another posting, I switched my Language Preferences to
English (Australia) and restarted. This did not fix issue. The
preferences to hide spelling errors isn't checked. Any other
suggestions?

--
jlobaza
jlobaza's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51231

Beth Melton

Jun 8, 2008, 6:06:06 PM6/8/08
"jlobaza" <jlobaza...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I opened the registry editory and could not find the file listed that
> you mentioned to delete: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US" The only file listed was
> "Default." Per another posting, I switched my Language Preferences to
> English (Australia) and restarted. This did not fix issue. The
> preferences to hide spelling errors isn't checked. Any other
> suggestions?

In the Office Setup (Add/Remove Programs) under Office Shared Features make
sure the Proofing Tools are set to "Run from My Computer"
--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/HA102295841033.aspx

jlobaza

Jun 8, 2008, 7:58:29 PM6/8/08

Thanks Beth...Feel kind of stupid asking this, but I don't know where
to access "Office Setup (Add/Remove Programs) under Office Shared
Features." I'm running Vista with Word 2007. Tried looking for it, but
to no avail.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Jun 8, 2008, 11:01:55 PM6/8/08
Click the Vista orb in the taskbar (also called the Start button, even
though it doesn't say Start anymore). In the Start Search box, type:

programs and features

Actually, by the time you've typed the word "and", "Programs and Features"
will have appeared under Programs. Click on it. This will get you Vista's
equivalent of the Add/Remove Programs part of the Control Panel. From there,
look for Microsoft Office ___ 2007. ___ depends on which version of Office
you have. If you have only Word, and not Office, it might be called
Microsoft Office Word 2007 (I don't know, since I've never installed just
Word... always Office). With Office or Word selected, click on Change, which
is above the list of programs.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"jlobaza" <jlobaza...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

jlobaza

Jun 9, 2008, 11:31:56 PM6/9/08

I checked as suggested and "Run From My Computer" was selected. I
rebooted and still had the problem. I ran the repair function and
rebooted. Still have problem. I read that a Norton Anti Virus
preference could be selected, but I'm using Norton 360, and no software
resides on my computer. Maybe there's a conflict with another
application I have installed?

Bond782

Aug 26, 2008, 11:07:41 PM8/26/08

I was having the same problem with the Spell checking in Word 2007
defaulting to "French" no matter what setting I set up in the program it
would always use "French" as the spelling and grammer checker. So I
looked into the registry and went to
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0".
Now in 1.0 there was a REG_DWORD with something to do with French so I
deleted it and in the folder Office that's under 1.0 there is also a
REG_DWORD with something to do with French so I deleted that one also.
This seemed to fix it. I am having no problems with Spell checking in
Word 2007 anymore. I hope this helps someone.

Chris

--
Bond782
Bond782's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bond782.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Skuszmaul

Sep 11, 2008, 6:05:18 PM9/11/08
Beth we have this issue in both Office 2003 and Office 2007. We have a
word...Indentify that the dictionary says is a word, but not in any
dictionary we can find. Some on our network use Windows XP with Office 2003
and others use Vista with Office 2007. Neither the dictionary in 2003 or in
2007 identifies this word as a misspelling. I've checked all the settings in
both systems and ensured the word is NOT in the custom dictionary in both
systems but we can't get Word to identify it as a misspelling.

Thanks in advance.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

> First, click the Microsoft Office Button, close it, and see if spell check
> begins to work. (Believe it or not, there's a slight bug with spell check
> and the Microsoft Office Button, you need to click it once for it to start
> working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only
> happen once.)
>
> If that doesn't work then if no custom spell checker have been installed on
> the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry
> key:
>

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared

> Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US
>
> This key will be rebuilt the next time you start Word. Please let us know if
> this resolves the issue. This resolution, found by Bob Buckland on another
> forum, has been only recently been confirmed by Microsoft. :-)
>
> Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
> assistance by email can not be acknowledged.
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Beth Melton
> Microsoft Office MVP

Earle Horton

Sep 11, 2008, 6:24:57 PM9/11/08
He's right. It's in the English dictionary used by Office, but it is not a
"real" English word. How does one use it?

Earle

"Skuszmaul" <Skus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

LVTravel

Sep 11, 2008, 10:32:09 PM9/11/08

"Earle Horton" <earleh_...@live.com> wrote in message

> He's right. It's in the English dictionary used by Office, but it is not
> a "real" English word. How does one use it?
>
> Earle

SNIP\
\

Apparently to name a company:

Indentify
99 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
Phone: (626) 395-0441

Also to misspell identify in many older web sites that have or haven't been
corrected (a simple Google search shows many INDENTIFY topics.)

These two still have the misspelling.

http://www.jjkeller.com/browse/product.html?group_id=1813&action_code=88928
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-22764871_ITM

skuszmaul

Sep 12, 2008, 12:36:04 PM9/12/08
So the only option is to create an "exclude" file and add it there. That way
the dictionary will IDENTIFY it as a misspelling.

Thanks!

skuszmaul

Sep 12, 2008, 1:07:01 PM9/12/08
Thanks LVTravel, but that's Identify Strategic Recruitment, not Indentify. We
still have the same issue then. I can't find anything when I Google Indentify
except for misspellings of Identify. So back to my original question. How
can I "correct" or more properly, ensure that this word will show as a
misspelling in Office 2003 and 2007? Is the only way to make an exceptions
file? The real issue for me is why the dictionary doesn't identify it as a
misspelling and what other words does it miss?
--
SK

Alex

Oct 5, 2008, 1:08:01 PM10/5/08
that registry doesn't exist "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0" does but there is no override subfolder

ccossey

Oct 23, 2008, 2:36:31 PM10/23/08

Bless you, CTFAN240!!! I tried everything to get my spell check working,
but your suggestion with the disabled add-in worked!!!!

I am not a hooplehead when it comes to PC's and software, but this one
had me stumped for days.
I have even tried the registry deletion to no avail.

So, for those of you with issue who have tried everything else, try
this:
Click on top left Word circle Icon
Go to bottom click on Word Options
Go to Add-ins
At bottom, should say "Manage: CD Add-ins" - change to "Disabled Items"
then hit Go...
This should bring up Spell-check add in - select this.
Try spell check... IT WORKS!!

Hope this helps others who are going crazy with this.

--
ccossey
ccossey's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ccossey.htm

Mr Froody

Oct 26, 2008, 3:04:54 AM10/26/08

How do you change a registry key on windows xp?

--
Mr Froody
Mr Froody's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-froody.htm

Tony

Oct 26, 2008, 4:38:01 PM10/26/08
I didn't find the registry key either. However, I did the following and it
worked. You may try doing this also.

Click on Office button (top left) in word.
Click on word oprions button.
Click on Add-ins.
In the Manage box select "Disabled items" and click on Go.
In the dialog box select en-US spell checker if it is there and Click on
Enable.

Good Luck,
Tony

stanedinger

Nov 3, 2008, 12:25:41 PM11/3/08

I am having the same problem with office 29007 spell checker-however the
you mentioned does not exist in my registry. I tried to use the fix
program but that did not help. Do you have any suggestiosn

--
stanedinger
stanedinger's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/stanedinger.htm

willie46

Nov 25, 2008, 4:38:02 PM11/25/08
Deleting the Key didn't work for me. I had to delete the values inside the
key, and that did work.

lesmoore

Nov 30, 2008, 11:13:24 PM11/30/08

I have Word 2007 installed on two machines - one Windows XP, where it
works just fine, and the other a Vista machine where spell check just
will not work.

Grammar checking is working, so it identifies "abcde fghij" as a
"Fragment", but can't see any spelling errors in it.

I have hunted this and other forums and have tried every solution I
could find, but with no success.

- there are no "disabled addins"
- I have renamed HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0 to ....\zz1.0
- there is no entry for .....\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override
- in Add/Remove under Office Shared Features, Proofing Tools ARE set to
"Run from my computer"

I notice that in the registry, the newly created .....\Proofing
Tools\1.0 contains a folder named "Custom Dictionaries", whereas the
"old" ....\Proofing Tools\1.o0 (now renamed ....Proofing Tools\zz1.0)
contains, as well as Custom Dictionaries, a folder named "Office".

I would really appreciate any advice on how to get spellcheck to work.

--
lesmoore
lesmoore's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lesmoore.htm

lesmoore

Dec 1, 2008, 1:24:41 AM12/1/08

This was bound to happen!

I could fight the problem every way I could find without success then,
after I post my query (above), I stumble upon the answer.

I used Word Options/Resources to "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics". It
worked its way through the various tests - took a long time over the
last one - and then announced that running the diagnostics had corrected
1 problem. No more information, but when I retry using Word, the
spellcheck miraculously works!

So, best wishes to anyone who arrives at my query, but I now have the
answer.

kb11

Jan 16, 2009, 4:29:43 AM1/16/09

I was having the same problem, obviously misspelled words were not
showing up, and I need to do reports for college. I tried a few of these
to no avail. After a while I just gave up and was clicking around
checking out different options when I went to:
Word Options
-- Proofing
--- Custom Dictionaries
Under "Dictionary Language:" it said "All Languages"
I changed it to "English ( ______ )" and voila. Spell Check. =)

Hope this helps at least one person =)

Good Luck. Happy Spelling.

--
kb11
kb11's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kb11.htm

bcfrench85

Jan 29, 2009, 12:20:09 PM1/29/09

I tried all these solutions and none of them worked for me.

So I went to control panel "add remove programs" selected MS office
2007.
Hit the change button and it gave me a couple of options. I selected
spell check and change it to "install on first use" and applied that
selection. It reformatted then then exited.

I restarted Word 2007 opened a document and started spell check. It
installed on first use and spell checked my document.

All is fine now. I added this because I don't see my solution anywhere
including MS support site.

Thanks,

bcfrench85
bcfrench85's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bcfrench85.htm

Bob I

Jan 29, 2009, 1:53:16 PM1/29/09
Too bad you didn't quote anything, so we have no idea what you tried.

bcfrench85

Jan 29, 2009, 3:15:39 PM1/29/09

BOB I wrote:
"Too bad you didn't quote anything, so we have no idea what you
tried."

Yes but all means "ALL" I tried all of the above solutions.

None of them worked.

However the solution I posted did work. So if you need to try all of
them to try mine, be my guess. ... Or you can save yourself some time
and just try the one that worked for me.

lenrossen

Feb 13, 2009, 12:26:06 PM2/13/09

I found that running the Diagnostics fixed the problem for me.

I've tried everything else, I wish I knew the root cause.

When the Diagnostics completed it found a half dozen problems.

Len
===

--
lenrossen
lenrossen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lenrossen.htm

shoulduvebghthonda

Mar 10, 2009, 4:12:44 AM3/10/09

I am having the same problems and when I try the recommended fix Start
run HKey_Current_User........ it tells me that no such file is found.
Please help.....

--
shoulduvebghthonda
shoulduvebghthonda's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/shoulduvebghthonda.htm

sainusa

Mar 26, 2009, 3:57:25 PM3/26/09

Thanks to whoever figured this out!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

My spell checker now works! I have a vista so just searched regedit and
then delete the keys as specified!

My spell checker works great now in all my programs - word, One Note
etc!
Gracias!

--
sainusa
sainusa's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85419.htm

madhollo

Apr 21, 2009, 10:15:04 AM4/21/09
Please note in the above chain that Beth Melton indicated the following
registry key needs to be deleted. I did it and it worked. Make sure that
Office programs are closed.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

--
Madonna-Megara

"Chris" wrote:

> Jaclynk
> I wish I had and answer to your problem with the spell checker but I don't.
> This sounds like a problem with the Word 2007 program. Why isn't Microsoft
> answering these questions? These so called experts, put out these faulty
> programs and we after spending our hard earned money have to figure out the
> answer. Something is not right here. One site I went to mention downloading
> a free spellcheck program from the internet. All these downloads on this
> Microsoft site and I have yet find one for a spellchecker. Microsoft if you
> are reading this. Why not?
>
> Chris

mm440

Apr 22, 2009, 4:08:59 AM4/22/09

So I have the most annoying problem. Everytime I hit "spellcheck" or
the "spellcheck" icon in menu, it highlights the next mispelled word or
grammar issue and does nothing else-no dialogue box. I could right
click on it and change it manually, but the dialogue box doesn't show up
and Iwhen i would right click and then clikc on "gammar" it would just
do nothing, then go straight to the sentence with the grammar issue and
highlight it.

I have no idea what the problem is. Registry key was checked-DWORD
deleted, no "override" key; repaired the configuration; followed 100% of
all the suggestions here and everywhere else I have been looking for the
past 4 hours.

Help!!!!!!! This is driving me crazy and I am 2 seconds away from
going out and buying a typewriter.

--
mm440
mm440's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/92445.htm

edwlahay

Apr 25, 2009, 1:47:21 PM4/25/09

The registry fix worked. I have spent a lot of time looking through
books, help text etc. Thanks
edwl...@astound.net

--
edwlahay
edwlahay's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/93779.htm

mirazan

May 22, 2009, 12:25:01 PM5/22/09
as you say to go the path

>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SharedTools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

but in ma pc there is no "Override/en-US" folder in this path.

The folder named in ma pc is "Custom Dictionaries" after "1.0"

I am using Windows 7 OS, and in ma pc the spell check in not working.

wprensky

Jun 8, 2009, 10:28:08 AM6/8/09

Grasshopperlee's reply was dead on for me. for some reason Word in its
infinite wisdom had disabled the spell checker becuase it "prevented
word from functioning properly" - i re-enabled it and now all is fine.

Microsoft owes us all hair transplants for pulling out our hair. :)

Bill

--
wprensky
wprensky's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/104229.htm

Nofingerprints

Jun 13, 2009, 2:48:06 PM6/13/09

I also had an issue with the spell checker and autocorrect functions not
working. The solution I came across was (in Vista, though it should be
similar for XP users) was to go to Control Panels/Region and Language
Settings, then change the language to the one I wanted, in this case
English (Ireland). For some reason, this caused a little language icon
to appear beside the battery icon on my laptop. In any case, while using
a Word document, I selected the English (Ireland) setting, which
immediately caused the spell checker to start working as normal.

I'm sure someone who knows more about this will be able to explain it,
but I believe the Regional and Language Settings enable you to choose
your language preferences for the app you're currently using. In any
case, the solution has been a permanent one for me.

--
Nofingerprints
Nofingerprints's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/105590.htm

npa100

Jun 16, 2009, 2:51:30 PM6/16/09

Thanks Beth for this solution:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

worked like a charm...

--
npa100
npa100's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/106376.htm

cjtoth

Jun 24, 2009, 1:37:51 PM6/24/09

ccossey;4041693 Wrote:
> Bless you, CTFAN240!!! I tried everything to get my spell check working,
> but your suggestion with the disabled add-in worked!!!!
>
> I am not a hooplehead when it comes to PC's and software, but this one
> had me stumped for days.
> I have even tried the registry deletion to no avail.
>
> So, for those of you with issue who have tried everything else, try
> this:
> Click on top left Word circle Icon
> Go to bottom click on Word Options
> Go to Add-ins
> At bottom, should say "Manage: CD Add-ins" - change to "Disabled Items"
> then hit Go...
> This should bring up Spell-check add in - select this.
> Try spell check... IT WORKS!!
>
> Hope this helps others who are going crazy with this.

Spell check was not working in Word 2007, but grammar check was OK.
This is the solution that worked for me. Thanks for tip!

--
cjtoth
cjtoth's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/108522.htm

cutlerpark

Aug 17, 2009, 2:57:11 PM8/17/09

I'm having a similar problem. I added a medical dictionary file to my
Word 2007 and now my spell checker doesn't come on automatically. It
must be clicked on each time. I've tried all of the tips listed in your
message but no luck. Any other ideas?

--
cutlerpark
cutlerpark's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/125902.htm

mtc

Aug 28, 2009, 4:23:01 PM8/28/09

I have the same issue. I tried this and it did not work.

"Bond782" wrote:

> I was having the same problem with the Spell checking in Word 2007
> defaulting to "French" no matter what setting I set up in the program it
> would always use "French" as the spelling and grammer checker. So I
> looked into the registry and went to
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0".
> Now in 1.0 there was a REG_DWORD with something to do with French so I
> deleted it and in the folder Office that's under 1.0 there is also a
> REG_DWORD with something to do with French so I deleted that one also.
> This seemed to fix it. I am having no problems with Spell checking in
> Word 2007 anymore. I hope this helps someone.
>

> Chris
>

> --
> Bond782
> Bond782's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bond782.htm

mtc

Aug 28, 2009, 4:25:01 PM8/28/09
I tried this too and it did not work.

mtc

Aug 28, 2009, 4:24:01 PM8/28/09
I tried this too and it did not work.

mtc

Aug 28, 2009, 4:25:01 PM8/28/09
I tried this too and it did not work

Quinones@discussions.microsoft.com Ralph Quinones

Sep 15, 2009, 11:50:01 AM9/15/09
Beth,

Do not know if you are still there, but THANK YOU! I have been w/o spell
check for weeks. My company's IT group was searching for a solution and no
one could find one. Today I started "googling" for an answer and finally
came by your suggestion.

Removing the registry key got my speller working again!

THANKS again!

"Erwitt Chan" wrote:

> "Beth Melton" wrote:
>
> > First, click the Microsoft Office Button, close it, and see if spell check
> > begins to work. (Believe it or not, there's a slight bug with spell check
> > and the Microsoft Office Button, you need to click it once for it to start
> > working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only
> > happen once.)
> >
> > If that doesn't work then if no custom spell checker have been installed on
> > the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry
> > key:
> >

> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared

> > Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US
> >
> > This key will be rebuilt the next time you start Word. Please let us know if
> > this resolves the issue. This resolution, found by Bob Buckland on another
> > forum, has been only recently been confirmed by Microsoft. :-)
> >
> > Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
> > assistance by email can not be acknowledged.
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Beth Melton
> > Microsoft Office MVP
> >
> > Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/9801.aspx#AboutTheBook
> >
> > Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
> > TechTrax eZine: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
> > MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/
> >
> > "JaclynK" <Jac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > When creating a new document in word 2007, obvious mispelled words are not
> > > picked up by the spell checker. All settings and options have been double
> > > check by my IT department, however it still does not work. The message
> > > states
> > > " The spelling and grammer check is complete" but the mistakes are not
> > > picked
> > > up. When I used the trial version I did not have any problems with this,
> > > however once my office bought the full version spell check is no longer
> > > working. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > The deleting of the registry key does works after all for my case. Thanks Beth Melton =) Maybe u all could try it also if u manage to come across this article.

kpallante

Sep 24, 2009, 5:11:02 PM9/24/09

kpallante

Sep 24, 2009, 5:17:01 PM9/24/09
Dear Beth, I have the same problem and your solution does not work! I do not
have a registry key to remove that is named:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

I DO HAVE:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared\Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Custom
Dictionary...&...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Office....I DO NOT HAVE ANY KEY WITH THE SUFFIX:
"Override\en-US"

What do I remove now? I have Office 2007 running on Vista. Any help
appreciated.

AimeeD

Jan 8, 2010, 2:29:01 PM1/8/10
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! OMG THIS WORKED

I have no idea what Beth was talking about. But I followed your simple
instructions and WAH-LA. You're my hero!!! :)

"Tony" wrote:

> I didn't find the registry key either. However, I did the following and it
> worked. You may try doing this also.
>
> Click on Office button (top left) in word.
> Click on word oprions button.
> Click on Add-ins.
> In the Manage box select "Disabled items" and click on Go.
> In the dialog box select en-US spell checker if it is there and Click on
> Enable.
>
> Good Luck,
> Tony
>
> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > that registry doesn't exist "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> > Tools\ProofingTools\1.0" does but there is no override subfolder

DJC

Jan 12, 2010, 7:32:09 AM1/12/10

_Point_to_note_: The bottom left of the word screen where the page and
word count is located there is an tab telling you which language your
program is spell checking in. Despite what the proofing language setting
says or the word options are this one is the one you need to change.

_Things_mentioned_by_other_people_which_failed_for_me_but_might_work_for_you_
Click on the language tab mentioned above in the bottom left of the
Word application, make sure the Detect Language option is ticked and the
Do Not Check Spelling option is not ticked, then select English UK and
click Default followed by OK. This changes the Language to English UK
but then reverts back to the other Language shortly after.

Click the Office button (top left corner) of word, select Word Options,
go to Proofing and check Auto correct and Custom Dictionary.

Click the Office button, select Word Options and select Add-Ins, go to
the Manager at the bottom and from the menu select Disabled Items and
click GO. If you see the en-US or en-UK spell check enable it. This
worked for some people but not for me.

Click the Office button, select Word Options and go to Resources and
check for updates to Office and Windows to see if anything got missed.

In word click on the Review tab then go into the proofing section and
click Set Language, this works the same as the first options I
mentioned.

Delete the following registry entry. On my PC this does not exist and
its not advisable to mess with the registry unless you know what you are
doing.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

Repair Office 2007 through the control panel add/remove programs
(Change) function.

Various other options of making changes, closing the program and
starting it again but all failed.

_The_only_way_I_found_to_solve_this_problem_was_to_do_the_following_
Click Start - Settings - Control Panel - Regional Language Options -
Language Tab - Details Button - Add Button - Select "English UK" as the
Input Language and click OK, then select English UK from the Default
Input Language drop down menu, then Apply. Now you should find when you
load the application the spell check is working correctly.

Hope this helps and thanks to NFP for pointing the right direction

--
DJC
DJC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/173385.htm

Markken

Mar 10, 2010, 8:13:28 PM3/10/10

I just found a solution of my own. Go to download any language
dictionary you want in Dic extension at the link below:

http://www.winedt.org/Dict/

Open dictionary you just downloaded in Text format, and then Save As new
name by changing the Encoding ANSI to Unicode.

Go to Word Options >>> Proofing, in Custom Dictionaries >>> Select Add,
then go to the path of the dictionary you just saved >>> Open >>> OK

If Word does not check spelling, go to Review (Tool Bar)>>> Select
Spelling and Grammar. It will work.

Good Luck,
Markken

--
Markken
Markken's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/193158.htm

mtblue222

Mar 31, 2010, 11:49:01 AM3/31/10

"Beth Melton" wrote:

> First, click the Microsoft Office Button, close it, and see if spell check
> begins to work. (Believe it or not, there's a slight bug with spell check
> and the Microsoft Office Button, you need to click it once for it to start
> working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only
> happen once.)
>
> If that doesn't work then if no custom spell checker have been installed on
> the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry
> key:
>

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
> Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

mtblue222

Mar 31, 2010, 11:51:02 AM3/31/10
I tried the advice below but it did not solve my problem. In the registry,
there is no such key in my system.

What else can I do to fix this?

malloryw

Apr 15, 2010, 7:16:03 AM4/15/10

never mind, i went into uninstall programs, clicked change microsoft
office and instead of changing it i repaired it, and restarted the
computer, spell check now works perfectly! that is probably with all of
my previous attempts, including deleting the proofing tools 1.0 key.
thanks for all the help in these forums, hopes this helps someone else!
:)xx

--
malloryw
malloryw's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/208863.htm

LarryScott

May 12, 2010, 3:58:48 PM5/12/10

For those of you who have tried various permutations of all the above
suggestions, this combination worked for a client. Both must be
performed, and in the order shown:

1. Delete this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SharedTools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

2. Repair Office 2007 through the control panel's add/remove programs
(Change) function

No reboot was necessary. As soon as the repair completed, the spell
checker worked. Note that this worked for MS Word only, and not for MS
Outlook.

--
LarryScott
LarryScott's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/219561.htm