"1 unread mail message" in Windows XP login screen won't go away

1 view

gamer

Nov 29, 2005, 10:30:02 PM11/29/05
On this brand new computer, there are 3 user accounts in Windows XP
Professional. After installing and updating Office 2003 Standard, one user
constantly displays "1 unread mail message" under its name in the logon
screen, despite the fact that all email messages in Outlook have been read
and/or deleted. How do I reset this message so that it accurately reflects
the status of this user? (The other 2 users work just fine).

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Nov 29, 2005, 10:34:26 PM11/29/05
Download and install TweakUI:

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
TweakUI. Expand "Logon" and uncheck "Show unread mail on Welcome screen".

Note: Unread message alerts may indicate you have unread messages not only
in Outlook Express, but Hotmail and/or MSN email accounts as well.

Overview of the Mail Notification Display on the Windows XP Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304148

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Persistent

Jan 16, 2006, 11:07:02 AM1/16/06
I had a similar problem with the login screen email notification. The
PowerToys solution worked to turn off the feature. I am wondering if there
is a way to make this feature work properly. I tried to turn in on and off
while doing some experiments with the email program (microsoft outlook) for
two adminitrator accounts. On one account, it would correctly note the
number of unread emails, but nothing i ever did worked to decrease the number
of unread emails (including reading, deleting, reading and deleting and
emptying deleted items folder. On the other account, no unread emails would
display. (I was careful to use the "apply settings for all users" when
changing the defaults in TweakUI) I have checked to make certain that I have
no other active email accounts and have also deleted items from my server (Am
I correct in my guess that this should NOT be necessary?). I would like to
make this feature work, and I am also very curious as to how it operates now
that I have tried so many ways to fix it. I noticed that Outlook Express is
specifically named as one of the programs compatible with this feature. Is
the fact that i am using Outlook responsible for the sporadic functioning of
the unread email notification feature?

Herman

Apr 8, 2006, 3:38:01 AM4/8/06
Unfortunately, I have got the same problem with Windows XP Home Edition.
After upgrading from Office 2000 to Office 2003, my unread mail counter is
also giving the wrong number: 24 instead of 0 unread emails. I'm sure it's
not MSN or hotmail accounts with unread mail. I have de-installed Office 2000
prior to installing the 2003 version. As I don't use Hotmail every day, I use
the unread mail counter indeed to know if unread hotmail mails are waiting
for me. I don't want to disable this feature. Can Microsoft or some1 else
help with resetting this counter?

Thanks,

Herman

Herman

Apr 8, 2006, 4:03:02 AM4/8/06
I have found the solution.

0. Make sure all mails in the mailaccounts & hotmail etc are read first. If
the counter is showing up (ie unread = 1 mail) at logon screen then proceed.
1. Download the TweakUI powertool as indicated in earlier posts.
2. Start
3. Run
4. type "TweakUI" + hit enter
5. Select option "Repair" (last item in list)
6. Select in droplist "Repair unread mail counter"
7. Click "Repair now"
8. OK
9. Reboot & check is the unread counter is ok or not.
10. Problem solved.

Good luck!

Sevilho

Aug 12, 2008, 3:17:30 AM8/12/08

7. Click "Repair now"
8. OK
9. Reboot & check is the unread counter is ok or not.
10. Problem solved.

1. I have solved without Reboot
2. MS have much work to do :)

--
Sevilho
Sevilho's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sevilho.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bob I

Aug 12, 2008, 8:43:23 AM8/12/08

Sevilho wrote:

> 7. Click "Repair now"
> 8. OK
> 9. Reboot & check is the unread counter is ok or not.
> 10. Problem solved.
>
> 1. I have solved without Reboot
> 2. MS have much work to do :)

What Office feature are you haveing issues with?

Micheal Ciaran

Sep 2, 2009, 9:09:48 AM9/2/09

Thanks for that - that works but the problem recurrs upon receipt of the
next batch of emails! Is there a permanent solution other that
disabling the feature altogether? This problem has only arisen in the
past 2 weeks although I have been working with the system for 2 years
and only use MS Outlook for email.

--
Micheal Ciaran
Micheal Ciaran's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/131334.htm