IRM Lost Credentials

E. Brown Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com Paul E. Brown Jr.

Nov 18, 2009, 4:19:01 PM11/18/09
I have an excel spreadsheet protected by IRM with my Passport ID. I have used
this document almost daily for a long time with no issues and today it says I
do not have access. How can a spreadsheet lose its credentials and is there
anyway for me to get them back? It asks if I want to request permission from
myself but when I click Yes it just opens an e-mail with my address in the
"to:" line.

Brian

Nov 18, 2009, 7:31:57 PM11/18/09
I had the exact same problem with a specific Excel file as of yesterday adn
posted my concern in the Excel forum today (below). Is there a problem with
Windows IRM servers?

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks
"Paul E. Brown Jr." <Paul E. Brown Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C468DC34-8001-46B8...@microsoft.com...

Paul E. Brown Jr.

Nov 18, 2009, 8:26:03 PM11/18/09
YES - This is exactally what I am talking about!
Someone help us. I would not have protected this file if it was not
important but now I cant get to it.

"Brian" wrote:

> .

Brian

Nov 19, 2009, 3:57:40 PM11/19/09
A third user on the Excel Newsfeed reported the same problem as of the same
date. Seems to me that MS is having a problem with the server.

"Brian" <bria...@noemail.noemail> wrote in message

Bernard Jammet

Nov 19, 2009, 4:06:10 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 4:19 pm, Paul E. Brown Jr. <Paul E. Brown

I am experiencing the exact same problem Workbook protected by IRM
advising that I do not have the credentials that allow to open this
workbook? it started on November 18, I would appreciate any
recommendations this is a very important excell file.
Thank You

Qu@discussions.microsoft.com Paul Qu

Nov 19, 2009, 7:37:02 PM11/19/09
Me two, I from China, we have 4-5 reports in MSDN Chinses Forum.

I called MS service department for help, but they said they won't prvide me
with free help becasue MS IRM software is free. Unless I'm willing to pay 150
yuan (about $20). Actually, my documents are much more valueable than $20,
who will pay for my loss?

"Bernard Jammet" wrote:

> .

rc_martensen

Nov 20, 2009, 6:42:31 AM11/20/09

I am having the same problem also here from Brazil. My excel files do
not open with my credential in any computer. Please see more details in
my questions in the Windows Forum link below:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/2b6b8544-5ad7-43dd-a465-b06ac3feeeb2

The files are VERY important for me and who will fix that?

--
rc_martensen
rc_martensen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/156520.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Schuyler Bain

Nov 20, 2009, 9:45:32 AM11/20/09
On Nov 20, 6:42 am, rc_martensen <rc_martensen.41y...@DoNotSpam.com>
wrote:

> I am having the same problem also here from Brazil. My excel files do
> not open with my credential in any computer. Please see more details in
> my questions in the Windows Forum link below:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/2b6b...

> The files are VERY important for me and who will fix that?
>
> --
> rc_martensen
> rc_martensen's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/156520.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1272749.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

I too am having this same issue.

cosmo

Nov 20, 2009, 11:40:19 AM11/20/09

Global issue,ms's customer department did not give us an exactly
answer by now.Just becuse IRM is a free services? about 4 days
past,still no reply !

cosmo

Nov 20, 2009, 12:09:35 PM11/20/09
On 11月20日, 上午8时37分, Paul Qu <Paul Q...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> > .- 隐藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 显示引用的文字 -

兄弟,我打电话的时候,微软的服务小姐说即使交钱也未必能解决问题,现在看来的确如此。

ovidiubalan

Nov 20, 2009, 10:12:57 PM11/20/09
> 兄弟,我打电话的时候,微软的服务小姐说即使交钱也未必能解决问题,现在看来的确如此。- Hide quoted text -

I have the exact problem, with word documents. I tried on different
machines, with different documents. Also I tried with a 2 weeks old
virtual machine that doesn't have updates enabled. It obviously gets
something form the IRM server that is not able to decrypt the
document. If i create new documents today and I protect them, than it
works fine.
Microsoft took the access to my own documents and I'm mad. It behaves
like there was a key; I gave the key to Microsoft and than it doesn’t
give me back my key, but rather another key.
I wished I would’ve been informed: "You may not be able to get to your
information even if you know the password! Don't use Microsoft
Information Rights Management to protect you files for any reason
other than for entertainment and scientific curiosity!"

howeyb

Nov 22, 2009, 2:49:23 AM11/22/09

Why is it that Microsoft isn't helping out with this IRM "lost
credentials" problem? I, too, have suddenly been locked out of Word
documents that were "protected" by Microsoft's Information Rights
Management. These are critical files that I must be able to open -
otherwise, I would not have used IRM for them. DUH! This obviously is
a newly-developed problem, as we all somehow could access these files
prior to Nov 18.

Microsoft gurus - please answer! What's going on and how can it be
fixed? Please help!

--
howeyb
howeyb's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157028.htm

Steve Rindsberg

Nov 22, 2009, 1:13:21 PM11/22/09
In article <howeyb...@DoNotSpam.com>, Howeyb wrote:
> Why is it that Microsoft isn't helping out with this IRM "lost
> credentials" problem? I, too, have suddenly been locked out of Word
> documents that were "protected" by Microsoft's Information Rights
> Management. These are critical files that I must be able to open -
> otherwise, I would not have used IRM for them. DUH! This obviously is
> a newly-developed problem, as we all somehow could access these files
> prior to Nov 18.
>
> Microsoft gurus - please answer! What's going on and how can it be
> fixed? Please help!

This is indeed a horrible mess.

But understand that Microsoft employees don't answer questions here ...
we're all volunteers.

Microsoft is no doubt aware of the problem; I expect they'll make the
solution known when they know it.

Unknown

Nov 22, 2009, 7:39:02 PM11/22/09
I have four excel document protect by IRM, two can open, two can't open ,the
error is "lost credentials"

MS online help said:"too complex,I can't help you "

howeyb

Nov 22, 2009, 7:59:06 PM11/22/09

Thanks, Steve.

Even though my problem isn't resolved, it's nice to know that somebody
out there has faith that Microsoft would be willing to put some
time/effort into a problem that has developed with free software.

I hope you are right!

Steve Rindsberg

Nov 22, 2009, 10:43:10 PM11/22/09
In article <howeyb...@DoNotSpam.com>, Howeyb wrote:
> Thanks, Steve.
>
> Even though my problem isn't resolved, it's nice to know that somebody
> out there has faith that Microsoft would be willing to put some
> time/effort into a problem that has developed with free software.

I've reported it to a contact of mine there and made sure to underline
the urgency of the problem. It seems to have come up here just in the
last few days.

howeyb

Nov 22, 2009, 11:54:27 PM11/22/09

Wonderful! Thanks for being so proactive. I really appreciate it.

cosmo

Nov 23, 2009, 8:57:28 AM11/23/09

Really ? hope so.

Bernard Jammet

Nov 26, 2009, 12:53:28 PM11/26/09

Having the same issue with an EXCELL file...
I escalated to Microsoft support and got the folowing response:

The issue has been escalated to the RMS dev team and they are working
on a fix. Here's the official response:

We have recently become aware of an issue with Microsoft Information
Rights Management Trial Service. Some users may not be able to open
protected content that use this service. Please note that Enterprise
customers using their own internal RMS 1.0 and AD RMS infrastructure
are not affected by this issue.

We have isolated the root cause of this issue. To resolve this, we
need to make a change to the Microsoft Information Rights Management
Trial Service. Please rest assured that your content will continue to
be accessible after this change is in place.

It is the RMS team's top priority to bring this issue to resolution.
We will need to devote additional development and test time to ensure
a high quality fix . We estimate that we can address the issue which
requires the development and testing of a fix within the next few
weeks.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption this issue has caused and
will provide any updates ASAP.

CHEW

Nov 29, 2009, 1:25:01 PM11/29/09
Any response yet? I have had the same issue and would like to know what the
solution is.

"Bernard Jammet" wrote:

> .

howeyb

Nov 29, 2009, 2:47:39 PM11/29/09

Not yet. Microsoft's reply says that it will be awhile:

"We estimate that we can address the issue which requires the
development and testing of a fix within the next few weeks."

Steve Rindsberg

Nov 29, 2009, 9:26:20 PM11/29/09
In article <58CC465A-9418-46AF...@microsoft.com>, Chew wrote:
> Any response yet? I have had the same issue and would like to know what the
> solution is.

Here's the latest

<http://blogs.technet.com/rmssupp/archive/2009/11/25/passport-rms-service-
experiencing-technical-difficulties.aspx>

> "Bernard Jammet" wrote:

howeyb

Nov 29, 2009, 10:22:10 PM11/29/09

??????? The link you provided doesn't work (either that, or it's
temporary unavailable...).

Steve Rindsberg

Nov 30, 2009, 11:02:25 AM11/30/09
In article <howeyb...@DoNotSpam.com>, Howeyb wrote:
> ??????? The link you provided doesn't work (either that, or it's
> temporary unavailable...).

It's been broken into two lines, either at your end or mine.

Combine the two lines into one and it works.

gwaxiom

Nov 30, 2009, 3:10:01 PM11/30/09
On Nov 30, 4:02 pm, Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> wrote:

I like many others have experienced problems with IRM dating back to
18th Nov. Recent posts have indicated that microsoft may well be able
to offer a solution to regain access to the afflicted files. Would the
solution be generic or would each person with the IRM problem have to
request assistance and if so from whom?

Steve Rindsberg

Nov 30, 2009, 6:21:12 PM11/30/09
In article <c2bb33b8-5538-4157-9c71-

I'm not an MS employee, nor are we likely to hear from MS employees
here. I know nothing of MS' internal plans for this. I'm just posting
what I've been able to learn on the net.

If you're interested in how this plays out, I'd subscribe to the blog
that the earlier link points to.

howeyb

Nov 30, 2009, 5:28:21 PM11/30/09

I don't think we will have to ask individually. Looks like the fix will
be generic and should work for everybody without having to ask for it.
Of course, I've got my fingers crossed. I imagine the fix notice will
be posted here when it's available.

Brian

Dec 1, 2009, 11:11:24 AM12/1/09
Yes, I received the exact same reply from MS support engineer.

"Bernard Jammet" <bja...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Paul Qu

Dec 1, 2009, 11:54:07 PM12/1/09
The problem is fixed now!

Paul E. Brown Jr.

Dec 2, 2009, 12:51:01 PM12/2/09
The problem has now been fixed by Microsoft.

Thanks to all!

howeyb

Dec 2, 2009, 11:28:54 PM12/2/09

It doesn't work for me. Is it working for the rest of you? Hmmmmm.....

rc_martensen

Dec 3, 2009, 6:14:47 AM12/3/09

Hello All,

It seems that the problem was solved yesterday. I could finally access
my excel files!

I will not remove IRM from the files because I believe Microsoft
learned something about this issue and I will trust that future problems
of this kind will be solved in a shorter period than the one taken at
this time.

Besides the long time taken to be solved, I also would like to
emphasize the complete silence of Microsoft about clarifying the issue
to its customers. I hope that Microsoft can be more clear in the future
to keep us informed about these kind of problems.

Rodrigo

--
rc_martensen
rc_martensen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/156520.htm

Bob I

Sergio

Dec 3, 2009, 11:59:02 AM12/3/09
It should be fixed now. You can see from the following link.

http://blogs.technet.com/rmssupp/default.aspx

"howeyb" wrote:

> .

howeyb

Dec 3, 2009, 3:57:10 PM12/3/09

Are those of you with RMS-protected Word documents able to access them
yet? Looks like the Excel fix works, but I still can't access Word
documents.

frankrober

Dec 11, 2009, 1:50:25 PM12/11/09

I can't open my IRM-protected Word 2003 documents. The message is
"Unexpected error occurred. Try again later or contact your system
administrator." I am the system administrator. I have crucial
information in these documents that includes extraordinarily urgent
information. Is there any way to retrieve it? How did it suddenly
develop an unexpected error? The message comes up exclusively on my
IRM-protected documents. I installed IRM on another computer and I can't
open the documents on that computer either. For me, the problem started
today, December 11. I opened both documents yesterday. What can I do?
Can I pay somewhere to retrieve the docs?

--
frankrober
frankrober's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163040.htm

howeyb

Dec 11, 2009, 4:02:11 PM12/11/09

I haven't been able to open my IRM-protected Word documents since
mid-November. If you find out about a fix, please post a notice here.
I haven't been able to open CRITICAL files for 4 weeks now!

--
howeyb
howeyb's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157028.htm

DocControl

Dec 11, 2009, 4:35:11 PM12/11/09

frankrober;4723485 Wrote:
> I can't open my IRM-protected Word 2003 documents. The message is
> "Unexpected error occurred. Try again later or contact your system
> administrator." I am the system administrator. I have crucial
> information in these documents that includes extraordinarily urgent
> information. Is there any way to retrieve it? How did it suddenly
> develop an unexpected error? The message comes up exclusively on my
> IRM-protected documents. I installed IRM on another computer and I can't
> open the documents on that computer either. For me, the problem started
> today, December 11. I opened both documents yesterday. What can I do?
> Can I pay somewhere to retrieve the docs?

I too have the same problem in tring to access my IRM-protected Excel
2003 spreadsheets. This problem started sometime late this morning as I
was able to get into them when I got in at ~8:00 am.

I chose to protect them in this manner as it was the only way to
effectively keep people out of the files - I also had to place the
hard-copy printouts under lock and key. I have to update these files,
sometimes several times a day. Now, I am unable to get into them at
all. Please help - my boss is LIVID.

--
DocControl
DocControl's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163076.htm

howeyb

Dec 11, 2009, 6:40:27 PM12/11/09

At least you have hard copy back-ups. Lucky you! I, on the other hand,
am not so lucky. We haven't been able to access some sensitive
information for over a month now because of the info that's under a pile
of IRM. Not sure what the most recent trouble is, but I haven't been
able to get to it since mid-November...

--
howeyb
howeyb's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157028.htm

bkolba

Dec 13, 2009, 2:01:01 AM12/13/09
It appears that hofixes have been released to fix this issue, please see:
http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2009/12/12/cannot-open-office-2003-documents-protected-with-rms-update.aspx

Hope the helps,
Bobby

"howeyb" wrote:

> .

Steve Rindsberg

Dec 13, 2009, 11:32:30 AM12/13/09
Frankrober, howeyb, DocControl, anyone else with the problem ...

A hotfix for 2003 problems was just released:

<http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2009/12/12/
cannot-open-office-2003-documents-protected-with-rms-update.aspx>

Would one or more of you give this a try and let the rest know if it
helps? Thanks.

Steve Rindsberg

Dec 13, 2009, 12:35:17 PM12/13/09
Aha, beat me to it ... thanks, Bobby.

DocControl

Dec 14, 2009, 9:57:34 AM12/14/09

Success! I am now going to remove IRM from these files and get with IT
so I can place these files in an area that only I and my boss can get
to.

Thanks Bobby,

Tom

--
DocControl
DocControl's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163076.htm

frankrober

Dec 14, 2009, 10:14:41 AM12/14/09

The link in the previous email did not work for me, perhaps because it
was in multiple lines (not sure). However, I used the link that came in
my email notification, which worked:
http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2009/12/12/cannot-open-office-2003-documents-protected-with-rms-update.aspx

(that's on 2 lines in this note, but it's one url).

Eventually, I downloaded the hot fix, which I now have on a folder on
my computer. However, I did not install it, because it came with so many
warnings about it's being preliminary and having the possibility of
causing other problems, with the recommendation to wait for the next
Office 2003 Service Pack, when the hotfix compatibility will be
assured.

I had gotten lucky over the weekend. For reasons I'm not sure of, the
copies of my IRM-protected files that were on my home computer (where
I'd also installed IRM so I could open them in the past) did open. After
saying a thank you prayer to every deity in the universe, I copied the
contents of the protected files and pasted them in their entirety into
non-protected, blank documents and saved them. Those new (unprotected)
files open on all my computers, and I don't think I will be using IRM
again. I certainly won't use it before the service pack update.