Beta or not beta?

Anonnymous

May 24, 2006, 8:40:02 AM5/24/06
Microsoft Beta 2 is out. Everyone knows that Beta means the software is on
the testing stage and there could be some errors or unfunctional functions.
But my question is, why you don't allow people to "report a bug"? So why
giving the people possibility of testing the software when they can't even
report back what went wrong (if any).
I am sitting here for about 30 minutes, trying to find a button to report
back some issues. no, there isn't any except "report a rendering problem!"
Is this the only issue a beta program has? or are you so sure that the
office diagnostics can catch every problem inside the office?

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

May 24, 2006, 12:02:02 PM5/24/06
Hi Anonnymous,

Good questions :) With a basically unrestricted public availability of the 2007 Office system Beta 2, it would be a heck of a task to have a formal bug reporting system (i.e. fill in all the blocks on a form etc) that could be handled, but here are some ways to provide feedback to Microsoft on your experience with 2007 Office System Beta 2.

A. From within the Office 2007 apps you can
1. Click the Microsoft Office Button [File]
2. Go to the bottom of that menu and select the Options choice.
3. In the Options - select 'Resources'
4. Use the 'Contact us' button.
   The web page there has a feedback submission link.

Also, while in the Options Resources turn on the 'Customer Experience' program tool.  The data MS gathered from the last version on usage (anonymous [one 'n' in that spelling <g>] was used to set the baseline on what was changed from 2003 to 2007 and will likely be used for tuning the 2007 version before it is Released to Manufacturing (RTM).

B. COOL 2007 Office System feedback Tool
=======================================
Download and install the MS  'Send a Smile' tool  from the Download Center at

Send-a-Smile places two 'smileys' in your system tray.

Smile - to capture a picture of and comment on things you like in the new version.

Frown - to capture a picture of and comment on how something you're seeing might be improved by changing it.

You can capture a screen with a single click and type in details of how you'd improve the apps for usability different from what you're seeing now (may be helpful to also include info on how you use that particular app on a daily/regular or even infrequent basis to set a context for the people reviewing that feedback). After you type it you can send that feedback off to Microsoft where it is reviewed.

You can also capture a frown or a smile using the Keyboard.
 Smile Ctrl+Shift+) [Ctrl+shift+zero key]
 Frown Ctrl+Shift+( [Ctrl+shift+9]

C. The Peer to Peer feedback
============================
The discussions here in the public MS Office Community/newsgroups
by browser

I'm looking forward to some feedback, discussions, friendly point/counterpoint on how somethings work, if they're easy to find (even if 'awkward' at first.

============

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob  Buckland  ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

  >>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

Pricing and Packages for  '2007 Microsoft Office System'
 http://microsoft.com/office/preview

Anonnymous

May 26, 2006, 10:26:02 AM5/26/06
Thank you for the reply.
1- Unfortunatly the feedback button on the address you wrote does not work.
It redirects to a 404 page :-(
http://officebeta.iponet.net/_services/errors/err404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=%2fsearch%2fredir.aspx%3fAssetID%3dES100738951033%26Origin%3dHH101315661033%26CTT%3d5&aspxerrorcode=404
2- I wished to see that "report a bug" button in the office. The smile
software is not interesting (in my opinion)
3- And here, Not all the posts get an answer :-(

For example: I have problem installing outlook with business manager.
Look at this post please.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.setup&mid=6080f2f2-c2c3-41e0-b842-7a29061d6b5d&cid=bcb24701-4912-45ae-8f57-73d25f7181ca

Thanks.

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

May 29, 2006, 10:20:32 AM5/29/06
Hi Anonnymous,

Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't currently planning to have a formal bug submission mechanism for the public download beta. At present
the Contact Us link in 'Resources' leads back to the newsgroups. You shouldn't normally be getting a 404 error from the
Options=>Resource link unless in either your browser or firewall you're blocking access or the Active X control Office uses to
present the Office Online new website.

Send-a-smile is the feedback tool Microsoft has chosen. It does allow both comments and a screenshot to be included.

As the beta is new, if a problem that comes up is one no one has seen before there may not be a quick answer (not to mention the
initial volume of messages to go through from the initial download & activate shakeout <g>). For BCM issues you may want to post to
the Business Contact Manger newsgroup as well (link below). That problem may be more familiar to the folks there.

============
<<"Anonnymous" <Anonn...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E87DD5CF-D94A-4FCF...@microsoft.com...

Thank you for the reply.
1- Unfortunatly the feedback button on the address you wrote does not work.
It redirects to a 404 page :-(
http://officebeta.iponet.net/_services/errors/err404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=%2fsearch%2fredir.aspx%3fAssetID%3dES100738951033%26Origin%3dHH101315661033%26CTT%3d5&aspxerrorcode=404
2- I wished to see that "report a bug" button in the office. The smile
software is not interesting (in my opinion)

3- And here, Not all the posts get an answer :-( >> [snip]
--
Please let us know if this has helped,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

>>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends<<

LINKS
A. Specific newsgroup/discussion group mentioned in this message:

or via browser:
http://microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.bcm

B. MS Office Community discussion/newsgroups via Web Browser
http://microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx
or
Microsoft hosted newsgroups via Outlook Express/newsreader

ADR

May 29, 2006, 9:28:01 PM5/29/06
Anonymous,

My guess is that Microsoft does not want to be flooded by queries and
suggestions from the general public. I think that by reading selected boards
and some other forums, MS will get specific ideas of the main problems
encountered by the public. In addition, they may decide to request your
input, as I understand, if you have indicated so when you installed the beta.

Richard Hay

May 29, 2006, 10:21:30 PM5/29/06
This will let you send some feedback in a unique way:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A2E1F4E2-BC0F-4403-B09F-7A677D55F274&displaylang=en

--
Richard Hay
Webmaster