Word 2003 : Print Layout View and Other Issues with Layout view

Ian Robert

Oct 12, 2007, 4:48:00 AM10/12/07

I have two issues with Word which I don't know how to resolve.

1) When opening a document in print layout view, it does not actually show
the headers/footers on the document, until "view/headers and footer" is
selected from the menu - is it possible to get it so that by default it
always shows headers and footers.

2) When opening a document it opens in "Reading Layout" - I want to have it
open in "Print Layout" by default.

I think both of the above two issues are similar. Can you tell me how to
set the default view for opening documents in Word 2003.

Thanks.

Ian

Emily Lin

Oct 12, 2007, 5:28:07 AM10/12/07
Hi Ian,

Follow the steps below to set the default view as Print Layout. To show the headers and footers by default, we need to add some
contents in the header/footer in the template. Thus, you can double click on the header/footer to edit it.

Note: I suppose that you are using Word 2003. If you are using other version of Word, please change the steps accordingly.

1. Exit Word.
2. Go to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\. Please show the hidden files
and folders if you cannot locate this folder.
3. Right click the file normal.dot > choose Open.
4. Click the Tools menu > Options > in the General tab, uncheck 'allow starting in reading layout' > click OK.
5. Click the View menu > check 'Print Layout'.
6. Click the View menu > Header and Footer > add an example header and footer on this file.
7. Click the File menu > Save to save it.
8. Exit Word. Restart Word 2003.

Does it address your concerns?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Happy weekend!

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <Ian-5...@noemail.postalias>
| Subject: Word 2003 : Print Layout View and Other Issues with Layout view
| Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:48:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.office.misc

Ian Robert

Oct 12, 2007, 6:54:01 AM10/12/07
Hi Emily,

Thanks for that the "reading layout" bit worked.

But I have a template with headers and footers in them, which when opening
the template are ok and visible in print layout but when using the template
the document opens without displaying the header/footer in print layout view.
If go "view header and footer" then I can see them, but I have to do this
each time opening a document from the template.

Regards

Ian

Beth Melton

Oct 13, 2007, 2:48:15 PM10/13/07
What you are seeing is the "white space" has been suppressed at the top and
bottom of the pages. The white space is the top/bottom margin and since your
headers and footers appear in the margin they will also be suppressed.

To turn it back on, place your mouse pointer either just below the ruler (at
the top of the page) or on a line between two pages, watch for the mouse
pointer to change so it appears as two pages with arrows, and double-click.
Alternatively, go to Tools/Options/View and select "White space between
pages".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/9801.aspx#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Ian Robert" <Ian-5...@noemail.postalias> wrote in message

Beth Melton

Oct 13, 2007, 3:33:57 PM10/13/07
Hi Emily,

Unfortunately, all Ian has done is add a header/footer by default to each
new document he creates using the Normal template. Not only will this affect
new documents but it will also effect any labels and envelopes he creates.
The problem Ian is encountering is White Space between pages has been
suppressed, which is an option stored in the Registry and not the Normal
template. Please see my reply later in this thread for the necessary steps
one needs to take to correct this issue. :-)

(Also, the "Allow starting in reading layout" option can be modified in any
document as this is an application option and is not document specific.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Emily Lin" <v-em...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ian Robert

Oct 14, 2007, 6:22:03 PM10/14/07
Beth,

Thank you sooooo much! This issue with the "White Space" has been bugging
me for ages. I didn't know it was called "white space" though, so that's
probably why!

The mystery is how it got turned off in the first place, must have been a
erroneous mouse click!

Thanks again.

Ian

Ian Robert

Oct 14, 2007, 6:24:02 PM10/14/07
Beth,

Thanks for that, I wasn't taking Emily's advice verbatim, I was working in
the template.dot file not the normal.dot file. But yeah I agree with
you...it's the whitespace - NOT the header/footers themselves and my
template.dot file had them all setup - I just couldn't see them because of
the "whitespace" bit being hidden.

Anyway all solved now! Thanks again.

Ian

Beth Melton

Oct 14, 2007, 8:21:23 PM10/14/07
Glad to hear you have the issue resolved. Yeah, who would consider the
margins and header/footer as "white space"? Well...MS. <G>

It's easy enough to turn on. In past versions it was a single click. A LOT
of folks stumbled into that one! Hence the change to double-click. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Ian Robert" <Ian-5...@noemail.postalias> wrote in message

Emily Lin

Oct 15, 2007, 4:48:23 AM10/15/07
Hi Beth,

Appreciate your help for resolving the header/footer showing issue.

Hi Ian,

Nice to hear that Word 2003 is working fine now! If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It
is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,