Open file very slow

sxt

Apr 29, 2004, 10:36:25 PM4/29/04
I am encoutering a serious problem in Office 2003 when I Opened or Saved a
document in the File Dialog box. The File Dialog box was showing Not
Responding for a while everytime I click on a folder in the Look in drop
down box.

Franksta

May 1, 2004, 3:30:36 AM5/1/04
What type of files do you use (all Office applications or just one)? Where
are these files stored? Are they local to the machine or on a network share?

If it is Word that you are experiencing this issue with then you can try the
following:

If on a network, you could try the following article to resolve your issue:

833041 Office 2003 program is slow or may appear to stop responding (hang)
when you open a file from a network location
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;833041

If it is local to your machine then the first thing to try would be see if
this happens in safe mode by using the following article:

- Word 2003 -

How to Troubleshoot Error Messages That You Receive in Word 2003 (Part 1)

How to Troubleshoot Error Messages That You Receive in Word 2003 (Part 2)

How to Troubleshoot Error Messages That You Receive in Word 2003 (Part 3)

sxt

May 3, 2004, 11:46:47 PM5/3/04

It happens to all my Office 2003 programs Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Whenever I open the Open File Dialog or the Insert File Dialog, and click on
the Look in: drop down box. It just hang there for about 2 minutes before
it shows the drop down list. The worst thing is it keeps on continue like
that everytime I click on a folder in the drop down list. I have tried your
suggestion, but it did not work out. Anymore suggestion?

Thank in advance.
"Franksta" <franksta_m[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote in message

John Hanzer

May 6, 2004, 5:26:44 PM5/6/04
I have the same problem as well. It is not only limited to Office
2003 but to Visual Studio 2003.

Thanks in advance,

jh

neuralnet

May 15, 2004, 5:56:28 AM5/15/04
I can only add my name to the list I'm afraid. Having the same problem
whether I install Office XP or Office 2003 which makes me think it's
not directly related to office but to a shared/common file or a
permissions problem..

Any ideas?

Xian

May 21, 2004, 2:15:14 PM5/21/04

Add me in. :( And I have both Office 2003 and VS.Net 2003, so I
encountered both problems. I can provide a little more info.

1. When the office or vs.net app hangs, for me, it's like 30 minutes.
Both local file and remote file are affected.
2. When program hangs, other programs are not affected. I can not feel
a system wide slow down. I checked CPU usage, it is around 10%.
3. Only programs using this newer, fancier file dialog gets affected.
E.g. my IE 6 using I guess the XP supplied file dialog works just fine.

So anyone has any idea?

--
Xian

Rob Schneider

May 22, 2004, 1:26:56 AM5/22/04
Is your anti-virus software interferring? Try turning off any office
"add-in" that might be running?

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Lis B.

May 24, 2004, 5:11:14 PM5/24/04
I had this problem in all my office apps and in visual studio.net. I read
somewhere to disable Office PlugIn in Norton Antivirus. I did this, but it
made no difference. Then I read something about this being a problem if you
have disconnected mapped network drives, which I did. I removed those
mapped drives and that solved the problem.

There's a Microsoft Knowledge Base article somewhere that says to add
network drives through network neighborhood and you won't have the same
problem. I haven't tried that yet, but am very happy to be able to open
files speedily again.

Hope this helps.

Lis

"Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message

Lisa S.

Jun 27, 2004, 1:41:02 PM6/27/04
Eureka! Halleluiah! and Amen!!!

Lis B. Right On -- It works, it really works!

I have been so frustrated with this slow drop-down file search that even my Prozac showed signs of strain!

Finally, someone with a clue, I even spoke with our HIGHLY PAID tech support staff, only to find absolutely no help whatsoever.

I have yet to figure out how to add those mapped network (VPN) drives to my network neighborhood; however, I am so delighted to have that “snap” back when I access files through the drop-downs in Office 2003 I am not sure I really care about the other drives right now.

Thank you Lis B.!

Jeff

Sep 8, 2004, 9:47:04 PM9/8/04
Hi Lis,

Thanks!

I didn't have a major problem with excessive time... but, it was bugging me.
Once I disconnected the network drives the file opening became almost
instantaneous.

Great Job