"open as read-only" office applications

Alper Temel

Mar 6, 2006, 6:31:53 AM3/6/06

when i try to open office documents (excel, word..) by holding down shift
key, they are not opened as read only. this option is by design? if it is
by design why this option occurs in context menu? any idea??

Thnx.

Beth Melton

Mar 6, 2006, 2:52:53 PM3/6/06
I'm not sure what you are referring to but I can tell you holding
Shift to open in read-only is not 'by design'. Holding Shift and
opening an Office document will prevent any automatic macros from
running - it doesn't open them in read-only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alper Temel" <alp...@online-msdestek.com> wrote in message

Alper Temel

Mar 7, 2006, 6:50:44 AM3/7/06
i mean, when we hold down shift key and right click on excel file (office
2003) , "open as read-only" option appears in context menu. when i select
"open as read-only" option , it is not really open as read only.

"Beth Melton" <bme...@NoSpam4Memvps.org> wrote in message

Beth Melton

Mar 7, 2006, 10:42:05 AM3/7/06
Ah! Now I understand what you are referring to and I see what you are
referring to - the files are not opening as read-only.

A quick check of the file type and I see the problem - and it looks
like a bug.

You can manually correct it if you want:
- Open an Exploring window
- Go to Tools/Folder Options
- Select the File Types tab
- Select the "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" file type (XLS)
- Click the "Advanced" command
- Select "Open as Read Only"
- Click "Edit"
- Change the DDE message to:
[open("%1",,1)]

- For Word edit the Microsoft Word Document file type (DOC)
- Change the DDE Message to:
[AppShow][REM _DDE_ReadWriteOnSave][FileOpen .Name="%1",.ReadOnly=1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Alper Temel" <alp...@online-msdestek.com> wrote in message