SmartTag dll doesnt load into application.

BP

Jun 24, 2005, 11:41:02 AM6/24/05
After completing all building and registration My Managed smarttag dll look
ok from the SmartTag Explorer and the SmartTag Recognizer tester test returns
OK.

The dll is a .Net Classlibrary written in C# as and followed the steps
exactly mentioned in article
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/stagsdk/html/stconCsRegister_HV01081915.asp

The Dll is signed and the publisher fully trusted.
MS Office 2003 Professional.

After all the the effort the dll is not being loaded into the application
(Word/Excel) and even not being list in the available smarttags in
Autoconfigure options dialog.

Can anyone help me how to solve the problem.

Mike Walker [MVP]

Jul 12, 2005, 4:02:43 PM7/12/05
Hi

I think there are several areas to confirm but hope this will point you in
the correct direction, Signed Managed code is not the end of the procedure
to work for SmartTag's as they are COM based they will typically load the
mscoree.dll managed code loading application that isn't signed which is
possibly the start of your problems if your security is set to high as
signing this will basically trust all managed code addins/smarttags to load
on your machines which are not good at all.

There are a few articles that will help you create a "SHIM" that will allow
you to compile your own COM dll that will call and pass through to your
managed code in a trusted and secure fashion.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dno2k3ta/html/ODC_Office_COM_Shim_Wizards.asp

Let me know if you need any more help on this.

Regards

--
Mike Walker
MVP Visual Developer VSTO
"BP" <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

BP

Jul 19, 2005, 10:18:04 AM7/19/05
The Methodology works, also the smart tags works even with direct COM
registration using regasm. But is more fascinated by the use of VSTO Loader
and its simplicity.

With VSTO Loader the tags doesnt work. Looked into all security aspects of
.Net, the module is signed, fully trusted application, macro security set to
Medium, etc, but still doesnt work.

Use of shims and COM both adds a level of complexity to the developer.

Is there any update on using Managed smart tags with VSTO loader? on why
they doesnt work If I do exactly as mentioned the example

thanks
BP

Clint

Aug 9, 2005, 1:07:28 PM8/9/05
I just found this newsgroup, after posting a couple of messages following up
on my own issues creating a SmartTag. I'll include this at the end for your
viewing pleasure.

One thing I'd check is whether you have the .Net Framework 2.0 betas
installed. I put in the IBuySpy demo SmartTag, and couldn't even get that
to work. Eventually, I found a thread that talked about having to
un-install a bunch of stuff, and then re-installing. For me, anyway, all I
had to do was un-install the .Net Framework 2.0 and the SmartTags suddenly
started working.

Here's the messages I posted earlier. WARNING: It's long! I apparently
have too much time on my hands...

Clint

In case anyone ends up reading this thread, I did get my own SmartTags
working. When I started slapping things together, I wasn't careful enough
on the naming conventions and strings that were used for setting things up.
I also didn't declare the name spaces like they did in the examples. Once I
got all that straightened out, it fell in place pretty quick.

The purpose for my SmartTag was to allow us to easily reference some Lotus
Notes documents from our Office applications. We used to use Notes
exclusively for e-mail and a corporate database, and we've been migrating
slowly over to Exchange, Sharepoint, and other MS products. But the Tech
Support and Development departments have applications/databases set up in
Notes that aren't going away anytime quickly. In Notes, it was really easy
to include a document link in an e-mail, or even another Notes document.
But trying to use that same idea in the Office suite has been a bit of a
struggle, especially for some people in the organization.

So I wanted to build a SmartTag that would recognize the identifier for the
two remaining databases. We were fortunate in that these identifiers were
easily recogized, as they had JM-A1B2 format (2 alphabetic characters, a
dash, and 4 or 5 alphanumeric characters). My first step in developing the
SmartTag (after getting the sample to work properly) was to get the
recognizer working (i.e. get the purple squiggly happening). That was
mostly a matter of getting the Recognizer routine firing off at the
appropriate time, and then playing with regular expressions. At that point,
I could type in an identifier in the middle of a document, and I could hit
the "Lookup" SmartTag. All it would do would pop up a MessageBox that said
something like "If I was a real application, I'd be going off to the Notes
database to open document XX-YYYY".

The next step was simply doing the lookup in a NotesSQL ODBC connection to
find the Lotus NotesUNID (unique identifier, a string about 50 digits long).
With that, I could fire off a "notes://servername/database/form/UNID"
request to an Internet Explorer process. The performance right now is
pretty abysmal, but I think that's a result of working from home, when the
Notes server is in the office (cable modem connection) and also NotesSQL
shortcomings. We also have started replicating some of these databases off
to a SQL database, so I'm going to have an option of hitting that database
instead (easy to configure through a SETUP.XML file). The issue with that
will be that the user will need to have a VPN or in-office connection to the
server, as they're hidden behind a firewall.

Anyway, if anyone wants any more information on this, my e-mail address is
cneufeld...@shaw.ca (remove mysocks for sending). I'll try to help, if
I can, or answer questions. It is truly cool to be able to type in a
document number, see it recognized, and fire off to the real application
from there. I'm going to be looking at tying this functionality to our
"real" application (the one we sell to customers, rather than something
that's for internal use). If I can get the performance to an acceptable
level, I'll also look at bringing back more information to the Office app
directly, so you don't even need to drill back to Notes, unless you want the
gory details.

Clint