Outlook: check for duplicate contact fails when addin active

1 view

Georg Fritzsche

May 15, 2009, 8:31:46 AM5/15/09

i just confirmed a weird behaviour in Outlook 2003: when our custom
AddIn is active, the "check for duplicate contacts" feature does not
work anymore. Deactivate the AddIn and it works fine again.
I already checked the obvious explanation of having a contactItem.Save
() somewhere, e.g. in the close handler for an inspector.

Does anyone know what might lead to that behaviour?

Regards,
Georg

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

May 15, 2009, 8:56:26 AM5/15/09
Just having an addin is no reason for the duplicate check to not work.

That function never has worked when you create a contact with code, if
that's what you're seeing.

If the user creates a contact or uses one of the built-in Outlook functions
to create a contact then the duplicate checking should occur unless your
addin is doing something to prevent it.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Georg Fritzsche" <georg.f...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Georg Fritzsche

May 15, 2009, 9:20:26 AM5/15/09
On May 15, 2:56 pm, "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]"

<kenslo...@mvps.org> wrote:
> That function never has worked when you create a contact with code, if
> that's what you're seeing.
>
> If the user creates a contact or uses one of the built-in Outlook functions
> to create a contact then the duplicate checking should occur unless your
> addin is doing something to prevent it.

I don't create contacts programmatically, i meant user-created
contacts.
Whats even more confusing: i tried disabling all event handlers for
the inspector and the explorer and it doesn't make a difference.
Yet when deactivating the addin, everything works fine again.

I can't really see what else could have such side-effects.

Regards,
Georg

Georg Fritzsche

May 15, 2009, 12:46:29 PM5/15/09
On May 15, 3:20 pm, Georg Fritzsche <georg.fritzs...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I can't really see what else could have such side-effects.

After some trial and error it seems there are problems with adding
actions in the inspector, although i can't say yet wether this a
result of how i add them.
At least simply not adding actions to contacts in the inspector works
at the moment. Are there maybe some problems with actions for not-yet-
stored contacts?

Regards,
Georg

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

May 15, 2009, 2:42:09 PM5/15/09
You are getting a ContactItem and adding to its Actions collection? That
will modify the form and therefore cause the duplicate checking to not work,
just as if it was a custom form with a custom MessageClass.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Georg Fritzsche" <georg.f...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Georg Fritzsche

May 16, 2009, 10:42:47 AM5/16/09
On May 15, 8:42 pm, "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]"

<kenslo...@mvps.org> wrote:
> You are getting a ContactItem and adding to its Actions collection? That
> will modify the form and therefore cause the duplicate checking to not work,
> just as if it was a custom form with a custom MessageClass.

Thank you, that saved me some time for testing.

Regards,
Georg