Re: Microsoft is planning on phasing out newsgroups

Julien ÉLIE

May 5, 2010, 3:22:27 PM5/5/10
Following a thread on news.admin.misc:

> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> Beginning in June 2010, Microsoft will begin closing newsgroups and
> migrating users to Microsoft forums that include Microsoft Answers,
> TechNet and MSDN. This move will centralize content, make it easier for
> contributors to retain their influence, reduce redundancies and make
> content easier to find. Overall, forums offer a better spam management
> platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
> healthy discussion space.

I just wanted to let you know that I will issue rmgroup control articles,
reflecting the changes that are bound to happen on msnews.microsoft.com,
when they occur.

Therefore, if you want to go on carrying these Microsoft newsgroups,
you should not honour my PGP key:
http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/index.py?see=MICROSOFT

Note that a lot of microsoft.public.* is already obsolete and unused.

If somebody else wants to handle the microsoft.* hierarchy in a different
way, he should create a PGP key, communicate it and begin sending
newgroup/checkgroups messages to keep the hierarchy alive.

--
Julien �LIE

� Ne craignez pas d'�tre lent, craignez seulement d'�tre � l'arr�t. �

Russ Allbery

May 5, 2010, 7:14:42 PM5/5/10
Julien ÉLIE <iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> writes:

> I just wanted to let you know that I will issue rmgroup control articles,
> reflecting the changes that are bound to happen on msnews.microsoft.com,
> when they occur.

> Therefore, if you want to go on carrying these Microsoft newsgroups,
> you should not honour my PGP key:
> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/index.py?see=MICROSOFT

> Note that a lot of microsoft.public.* is already obsolete and unused.

Thanks. For all the reasons previously discussed, I think this is the
right move. The whole point of that hierarchy was that it was
synchronized with Microsoft; without that point, there are lots of other
hierarchies that can absorb the traffic, and without spreading it across
way more groups than the residual traffic is likely to require.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@stanford.edu) <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Tim Skirvin

May 5, 2010, 7:26:41 PM5/5/10
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Julien_=C9LIE?= <iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> writes:

> I just wanted to let you know that I will issue rmgroup control articles,
> reflecting the changes that are bound to happen on msnews.microsoft.com,
> when they occur.

Thanks for this.

- Tim Skirvin (tski...@killfile.org)
--
http://wiki.killfile.org/ Skirv's Homepage <FISH>< <*>
http://wiki.killfile.org/projects/ Skirv's Projects

Thomas Lee

May 16, 2010, 4:04:54 AM5/16/10
On May 5, 8:22 pm, Julien ÉLIE <iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid>
wrote:

> I just wanted to let you know that I will issue rmgroup control articles,
> reflecting the changes that are bound to happen on msnews.microsoft.com,
> when they occur.
>
> Therefore, if you want to go on carrying these Microsoft newsgroups,
> you should not honour my PGP key:
>    http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/index.py?see=MICROSOFT
>
> Note that a lot of microsoft.public.* is already obsolete and unused.
>
> If somebody else wants to handle the microsoft.* hierarchy in a different
> way, he should create a PGP key, communicate it and begin sending
> newgroup/checkgroups messages to keep the hierarchy alive.

If you are a Microsoft employee, then go ahead. But unless you are
talking per et pro Microsoft Corporation, I'd regard you issuing 3rd
party rmgroups to be abuse of the net. Seems to me that such abuse
would be actionable.

MEB.peoplescounsel

May 16, 2010, 3:14:53 PM5/16/10
On 05/16/2010 04:04 AM, Thomas Lee wrote:
> On May 5, 8:22 pm, Julien �LIE <iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid>

I would suggest you refer to misc.legal.moderated for a present
discussion regarding Usenet and services and/or hosts supposed authority
regarding the Microsoft hierarchy. Should you need more or wish to
proceed on your own then start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1996/apr96/nwsgrppr.mspx
for the specifics of authorizations, where the authorized service is
located, and additional legal aspects and direction. And here:

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start
and additional as might apply regarding hosting, listing, and service
responsibilities in relationship to Usenet, services, and hosts carrying
and/or offering Microsoft's groups; wherein per the guidelines and other
applicable established, it appears you shouldn't complain this is being
done, you should compliment the party for doing so; unless you
personally intend to keep track of this responsibility yourself and
comply with the requirements and guidelines established, and applicable
Laws, both U.S. and international; taking additional note of applicable
Free Trade Agreements, U.N. Treaties and agreements, and other
applicable as they might apply.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org