Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly

shane

Mar 26, 2009, 10:16:34 AM3/26/09
I am currently getting this event log error when trying to start the
"Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" on Vista 32 bit.

Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because
CoCreateInstance(WindowsMediaPlayer) encountered error '0x80004002'.
If possible, reinstall Windows Media Player.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/
event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service"
Guid="{6A2DC7C1-930A-4FB5-BB44-80B30AEBED6C}"
EventSourceName="WMPNetworkSvc" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49165">14324</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>115421</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>xxx</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="ServiceName">WMPNetworkSvc</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorCode">0x80004002</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

It is set to "Automatic" and all dependendencies have started ok
(upnp, ssdp, firewall etc). It was working fine a few days ago sharing
to my xbox 360. I did install IE8 and the latest Nvidia driver around
the same time it stopped working. I may have also excluded a couple
"Run" executables, but I still have:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

under HKCU Run. Nothing else related to WMP under any other Run key.
Other than that there have been no other changes other than whatever
Automatic windows updates were applied in the past few days.

It's very frustrating, I have tried everything I've read about.
Including adding NetworkService to the Administrators group, deleting
all the .wmdb databases etc. I do log in remotely sometimes using the
same username/pass, so it's possible the permissions got set
incorrectly while doing that, but it seems unlikely.

As a resut of this bug, I get a dialog whenever I start WMP stating
"sharing is currently disabled ..."

I have used procmon etc to try find any permission problems, but
nothing comes up.

I have used sfc /verifyonly but it also shows nothing.

I suspect it may be the IE8 install that has corrupted something, I
only installed the final release, no betas.

Any ideas?

shane

Mar 26, 2009, 10:22:53 AM3/26/09

Also its worth noting this has been discussed in a few places, but no
real solution is ever proposed. eg.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer/browse_thread/thread/c1064049fca6e7d4/b26d649cb93396c8?lnk=raot

I tried the above, but it did not fix the problem. That was from a
while ago. I note they had IE8 beta installed.

I have also seen:
http://www.dannydouglass.com/post/2007/12/16/Media-Sharing-Bug-Fix-for-Windows-Vista.aspx

but that also doesn't fix the problem.

I have noticed Vista occasionally loses the ability to delete files
due to permissions problems. I know how to claim ownership of a file
and about file locking etc, but this doesn't fix the problem and I am
left with files I can't delete. I can probably get around it easy
enough, but this appears to be a bug with Vista and I wonder if its
related.

shane

Mar 26, 2009, 10:25:28 AM3/26/09
> real solution is ever proposed. eg.http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.me...

> I tried the above, but it did not fix the problem. That was from a
> while ago. I note they had IE8 beta installed.
>
> I have also seen:http://www.dannydouglass.com/post/2007/12/16/Media-Sharing-Bug-Fix-fo...

> but that also doesn't fix the problem.
>
> I have noticed Vista occasionally loses the ability to delete files
> due to permissions problems. I know how to claim ownership of a file
> and about file locking etc, but this doesn't fix the problem and I am
> left with files I can't delete. I can probably get around it easy
> enough, but this appears to be a bug with Vista and I wonder if its
> related.

The files I can't delete are in a different location to the rest of
the media files and were copied around and encrypted across machines
etc, so it's probably just an issue with that. The files themselves
are unlikely to be related to the service not starting.

shane

Mar 28, 2009, 1:29:49 AM3/28/09

I've now noticed this problem occurring on another machine which was
working ok before (I was comparing this working installation with the
broken one, but after a reboot, they are both broken). The only
changes I made was to install a new mouse driver, and restart it. I
still suspect IE8 to be the cause, as it was also installed on this
computer. The error code is different however:

Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because

CoCreateInstance(WindowsMediaPlayer) encountered error '0x8007007e'.

If possible, reinstall Windows Media Player.

I have seen this error reported a few times:

http://forums.techarena.in/media-player/708844.htm
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/60187-cannot-enable-media-sharing.html
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/31733-corrupted-media-player-how-do-i-repair-2.html
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Media/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player/2007-01/msg00531.html

Is it possible its a problem with the other upnp devices on the
network? Or something IE8 changed? If it is indeed IE8, I would
suspect there will be a lot more reports of this problem.

shane

Mar 28, 2009, 2:12:20 AM3/28/09

> > > Also its worth noting this has been discussed in a few places, but no
> > > real solution is ever proposed. eg.http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.me...
>
> > > I tried the above, but it did not fix the problem. That was from a
> > > while ago. I note they hadIE8beta installed.

> > > I have also seen:http://www.dannydouglass.com/post/2007/12/16/Media-Sharing-Bug-Fix-fo...
>
> > > but that also doesn't fix the problem.
>
> > > I have noticed Vista occasionally loses the ability to delete files
> > > due to permissions problems. I know how to claim ownership of a file
> > > and about file locking etc, but this doesn't fix the problem and I am
> > > left with files I can't delete. I can probably get around it easy
> > > enough, but this appears to be a bug with Vista and I wonder if its
> > > related.
>
> > The files I can't delete are in a different location to the rest of
> > the media files and were copied around and encrypted across machines
> > etc, so it's probably just an issue with that. The files themselves
> > are unlikely to be related to the service not starting.
>
> I've now noticed this problem occurring on another machine which was
> working ok before (I was comparing this working installation with the
> broken one, but after a reboot, they are both broken). The only
> changes I made was to install a new mouse driver, and restart it. I
> still suspectIE8to be the cause, as it was also installed on this

> computer. The error code is different however:
>
> Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because
> CoCreateInstance(WindowsMediaPlayer) encountered error '0x8007007e'.
> If possible, reinstall Windows Media Player.
>
> I have seen this error reported a few times:
>
> http://forums.techarena.in/media-player/708844.htmhttp://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/60187-cannot-enable-...http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/31733-corrupted-media-player-ho...http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Media/microsoft.public.windowsmed...

> Is it possible its a problem with the other upnp devices on the
> network? Or somethingIE8changed? If it is indeedIE8, I would

> suspect there will be a lot more reports of this problem.

I've uninstalled IE8 off the first machine and the service now starts
ok. (guess I should have tried that first). Seems IE8 isn't quite
ready despite being released.. something for MS to fix, whatever it is
they broke.

Lees@discussions.microsoft.com Jerry Lees

Jun 2, 2009, 11:00:01 PM6/2/09
My problem started immediately after installing Vista SP1. IE8 is no where
near my system... It's still in Beta. ;-)

"shane" wrote:

> [...]

Jerry Lees

Jun 3, 2009, 9:41:01 PM6/3/09
Uninstalling SP1 was a "No Go", same issue.

Tae Song

Jun 6, 2009, 8:14:05 AM6/6/09

"shane" <shan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Did you run any registry cleaners? I do not recommend using them as they
will delete valid entries. An easy example are pathnames with variables
like %windir%\system32 or variables like %1 or command switches. You have
to go in and have the registry cleaner to ignore entries.

If you have used registry cleaners you might find a back up of entries
deleted.

Another option is to try System Restore. But I do not find them reliable,
but under the circumstance might be your best shot.

shanexxx

Jun 18, 2009, 7:51:01 PM6/18/09

"Tae Song" wrote:

No I didn't run any registry cleaners. I can assure you it is as a result of
installing IE8. I have reproduced this on two very different machines, Vista
business and Ultimate, and other people have experienced the same problem
after installing IE8 (search the web/groups/forums).

Uninstalling IE8 fixes the problem for me and others - which is further
evidence the problem is with IE8. I now use TVersity instead, though I only
use Opera anyway so having IE8 wasn't that important.

Makes me wonder if MS actually investigated this for themselves, because I'm
pretty sure they'd experience the same problem if they did.

shanexx

Aug 2, 2009, 10:30:49 PM8/2/09
I no longer use Vista+WMP to perform media sharing, however I suspect
this may have been the cause of the problems, as I did have multiple
accounts on this machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx#q20_22

Installing IE8 possibly re-enabled that registry key,.